Got permissions to detect the local practice field. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Got permissions to detect the local practice field.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2013
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    may your hammer be mighty

Aug 2013
    20 times
    I'm going to let everyone down here...

I found a whopping 1.84 in clad.

Just that

Nothing else

The ground was so hard I couldn't get much more than an inch or two down. I found every target I fixed to. One of those fancy knives the diggers use would have been nice. Unfortunately I'm a Starbucks barista with a real morgage, and can't afford one yet.

Sorry guys.

Of all the Charlie browns in the world I'm the Charlie Browniest.

us
    Scott

Jun 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
    818 times
    That blade you see them using is $35, I have one. You cam also go to home depot and vet one of their lime green handle sod knives which has teeth on it, even marked in inches to show depth, I have one too and it was $7. Not everything has to be expensive and most of is do the best we can with what we have. I think you have shown you can do the same and u didn't let anyone down, you tried and you accomplished something it just wasn't a pile of gold.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain
    BC1969, sandy shoes and lookindown like this.
    To Dig or Not to Dig-That is the Question.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    33983 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by critter0527 View Post
    I'm going to let everyone down here...

I found a whopping 1.84 in clad.

Just that

Nothing else

The ground was so hard I couldn't get much more than an inch or two down. I found every target I fixed to. One of those fancy knives the diggers use would have been nice. Unfortunately I'm a Starbucks barista with a real morgage, and can't afford one yet.

Sorry guys.

Of all the Charlie browns in the world I'm the Charlie Browniest.
    not a bad day for your first time in ballfield, that just happened to be baked hard.
    I've been detecting for what is pushing 50 years and have had worse days

Now shake it off and say "on to the next site"

Next can you afford a $20 ? Seymour WP-5402 Dandelion Digger With Wooden Handle: Gardening & Lawn Care : Walmart.com these suckers will go through the hardest Ground,
    these are also good if told you need to use a Screwdriver or other narrow device
    sandy shoes likes this.

Nov 2012
    Stafford,Virginia
    Fisher 1266x and a shovel
    1284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I would take a slightly different tact. If this place has only been used since 1985, it's unlikely you're going to find any old/valuable coins. .
    You never know!! if you are in a historical area, you're chances are lot better that you will find something good, i'm sure there was some sort of 19th c. or even 17th c. activity on the property before the school... but.. i think you are right!! if you are hunting a high school field or something, chances are it's been scrapped pretty darn good but you never know.. i.e. if the property was once used during the Civil War or Rev War for camp, battle area or even a skirmish, then 130 years later they build a school on top of it, etc.. You could pick up signals 12+ inches in the ground that the scrapper missed like a big brass object/cannonball,etc... Since I live in a very historical area of the Civil War i have heard numerous stories of cannonballs and buckles being found right on a high school/park football,soccer field, tennis court areas, etc where some new digger will get permission real quick cause they are tearing up their old football field or tennis court and then.. all of a sudden.. they find a cannonball,buckles,big brass/iron objects, etc. Depending on how deep the field was scraped back in the day there could possibly be a historical artifact there! Maybe one day you can pull up old land records,maps,etc @ the library and figure out what was on the school property before it was a school.. you may be shocked if you are a in historical area..

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    33983 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by HutSiteDigger View Post
    You never know!! if you are in a historical area, you're chances are lot better that you will find something good, i'm sure there was some sort of 19th c. or even 17th c. activity on the property before the school... but.. i think you are right!! if you are hunting a high school field or something, chances are it's been scrapped pretty darn good but you never know.. i.e. if the property was once used during the Civil War or Rev War for camp, battle area or even a skirmish, then 130 years later they build a school on top of it, etc.. You could pick up signals 12+ inches in the ground that the scrapper missed like a big brass object/cannonball,etc... Since I live in a very historical area of the Civil War i have heard numerous stories of cannonballs and buckles being found right on a high school/park football,soccer field, tennis court areas, etc where some new digger will get permission real quick cause they are tearing up their old football field or tennis court and then.. all of a sudden.. they find a cannonball,buckles,big brass/iron objects, etc. Depending on how deep the field was scraped back in the day there could possibly be a historical artifact there! Maybe one day you can pull up old land records,maps,etc @ the library and figure out what was on the school property before it was a school.. you may be shocked if you are a in historical area..
    Correct, I have been Hunting a ball field in my area, which has never seen Civil war action,
    But there was training that went on there.

Recently they Dug to put in an underground Power line & dug a Civil War bayonet.
    confirmed & donated to the historical society.
    So you just never know what is there. you just have to be lucky to swing over it.

Jun 2013
    gloucester mass
    AT PRO and pro pointer
    65 times
    you did not let anyone down the point is you had fun and you where learning your machine and take your 1.84 throw it in a jar you finds will add up and you can get your self a digger or a pro pointer with time it is the only hobby i know that you make money at .good luck and i wish you great hunting.
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    Artist

Mar 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
    188 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hmm doesn't the plow damage any coins you would find? But I guess you would still have melt value of whatever precious metals you find.
    Best of luck,
    Threshold

-just saw you hit the spot already. A sturdy hand shovel is a must. I bought a real thick metal one after having a couple others break on me. SoCal has some hard ground.
    Last edited by Threshold; Sep 08, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
    2015 Running total (face value): 103 coins @ $5.76
    Silver: 1945-S Nickel, .925 ring, 1963-D Dime

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7396 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Petrified ground eh? Welcome to my world! Just out of curiousity, what is their reason for only giving you a 3 hour window to detect in? If it's just dirt, and it's going to be plowed anyway, what are they worried about? Even after it's been "resurfaced". what harm is there in making a recovery as long as you smooth the dirt out again? What is the area used for?

Sep 2013
    3 times
    I would do what other say spend more time cherry picking then for about an hour dig up anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links