Got permissions to detect the local practice field.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Got permissions to detect the local practice field.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2013
    20 times

Got permissions to detect the local practice field.

The only problem is, I don't know what to expect. I was given strict permission. I get to detect 1 time, from 3 to 6 pm tomorrow night. I'm still a new detector and I don't want to blow it.

The field has been used to pratice all sports and marching band since 1985. I used it when I was in school! It's getting resurfaced at 6pm tomorrow. They do it one time every year. It's done with a bull sizer rolling machine. I expect the ground to be tough. The principal said I didn't have to fill in holes as its going to be plowed and rolled when I was finished.

It had no grass, and very little rocks. Do you guys think this is a dig every signal kind of situation? 3 hours isn't enough time for low and slow.

I'm nervous. I'm going to fill in the holes anyway. It's good for the image in the long run...

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22758 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    For the first two-hours I would Cherry Pick (high discrimination) looking for silver and clad. Depending on how that goes, I might drop the discrimination to just below Nickel for the last hour and try to score some gold - Good Luck!

us
    Apr 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
    245 times
    Relic Hunting
    good luck!!

us
    Aug 2013
    Boone County, Ky
    Garrett AT Pro
    31 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    What Terry said, good luck

us
    Jun 2013
    Baltimore/DC area
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
    452 times
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7325 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I would take a slightly different tact. If this place has only been used since 1985, it's unlikely you're going to find any old/valuable coins. I don't know about you, but, I don't care if I ever find any more clad. If you're hitting tons of quarters, sure, that's fine, but not what I bought MY detector for. Given your short window of opportunity and a large area to search, I would hunt for gold only. You just have to ask yourself not only what you want to find, but, what you don't mind leaving there. Just for clarification, what do you mean by "getting resurfaced"? Is it just plowed and the same dirt laid back down? Is the top layer getting removed and new dirt put in it's place? Where is the old dirt going? Answers to those questions might make a difference on your decision.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    33594 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You've already got more different answers then you need in my opinion.

I like that you intend to fill your holes.
    As You said it looks good & may impress them enough to give you more sites in the future

My best answer dig everything from nickle up you can.

Your new so you can use all the practice on different targets you Can.

and definitely let us know how it went.

Happy Hunting !

Jeff
    BC1969 and sandy shoes like this.

Aug 2013
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I would take a slightly different tact. If this place has only been used since 1985, it's unlikely you're going to find any old/valuable coins. I don't know about you, but, I don't care if I ever find any more clad. If you're hitting tons of quarters, sure, that's fine, but not what I bought MY detector for. Given your short window of opportunity and a large area to search, I would hunt for gold only. You just have to ask yourself not only what you want to find, but, what you don't mind leaving there. Just for clarification, what do you mean by "getting resurfaced"? Is it just plowed and the same dirt laid back down? Is the top layer getting removed and new dirt put in it's place? Where is the old dirt going? Answers to those questions might make a difference on your decision.
    It's the same dirt just all plowed up and smoothed back down. It's a small farm town and it makes a nice flat surface for everyone to practice on.

Dec 2003
    33594 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by critter0527 View Post
    It's the same dirt just all plowed up and smoothed back down. It's a small farm town and it makes a nice flat surface for everyone to practice on.
    Yes they did the same thing at a field here, Ripped it all up with a plow,
    then smoothed it all down again with Rollers.

Some just tie a Log to the back of a truck & do circles on the fields too.

I suppose helps prevent grass & weeds from taking Root
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Sep 06, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Nov 2005
    East Coast U S A
    Minelab XP-Pro-MinelabExcaliber-Fisher1260
    218 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I hope this message get to you. Detect the area close to the Goal Post where you think that the Track and Field people laid all of their equipment during events. Some class rings should be in that area

Aug 2013
    20 times
    It did get to me in time. That's solid advice.

Another noob question. I have two coils that came with my md. One says gold nugget on it, which is the correct coil for the job here?

us
    Nov 2012
    Cincinnati Ohio
    White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
    1924 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    See if you can detect it after they plow and before they roll it.

us
    Scott

Jun 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
    817 times
    I'd have to agree with Jeff on this one, you need the practice and the foal.posts just like trees in a park are the hit spots for lost items. As far as your coil your question was a little vague.. what kind of machine and what kind of coil? Is it a double d coil because that would really help you cover more area quicker since you're jammed on time.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain
    To Dig or Not to Dig-That is the Question.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7325 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    If it's the same dirt every year and nobody is allowed to hunt it any other time, I guess you could search for whatever you want and if you miss something, it'll be there to find next year. Have fun and let us know what your find!

Dec 2003
    33594 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by critter0527 View Post
    It did get to me in time. That's solid advice.

Another noob question. I have two coils that came with my md. One says gold nugget on it, which is the correct coil for the job here?
    I'd say no. But only because your not looking for Gold Nuggets.
    but as bzbadger says we would need more info on the detector the coil &
    what your other coil is, & sizes .
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Sep 07, 2013 at 02:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links