Got permissions to detect the local practice field.

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
The only problem is, I don't know what to expect. I was given strict permission. I get to detect 1 time, from 3 to 6 pm tomorrow night. I'm still a new detector and I don't want to blow it.

The field has been used to pratice all sports and marching band since 1985. I used it when I was in school! It's getting resurfaced at 6pm tomorrow. They do it one time every year. It's done with a bull sizer rolling machine. I expect the ground to be tough. The principal said I didn't have to fill in holes as its going to be plowed and rolled when I was finished.

It had no grass, and very little rocks. Do you guys think this is a dig every signal kind of situation? 3 hours isn't enough time for low and slow.

I'm nervous. I'm going to fill in the holes anyway. It's good for the image in the long run...

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the first two-hours I would Cherry Pick (high discrimination) looking for silver and clad. Depending on how that goes, I might drop the discrimination to just below Nickel for the last hour and try to score some gold - Good Luck!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a slightly different tact. If this place has only been used since 1985, it's unlikely you're going to find any old/valuable coins. I don't know about you, but, I don't care if I ever find any more clad. If you're hitting tons of quarters, sure, that's fine, but not what I bought MY detector for. Given your short window of opportunity and a large area to search, I would hunt for gold only. You just have to ask yourself not only what you want to find, but, what you don't mind leaving there. Just for clarification, what do you mean by "getting resurfaced"? Is it just plowed and the same dirt laid back down? Is the top layer getting removed and new dirt put in it's place? Where is the old dirt going? Answers to those questions might make a difference on your decision.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've already got more different answers then you need in my opinion.

I like that you intend to fill your holes.
As You said it looks good & may impress them enough to give you more sites in the future :thumbsup:

My best answer dig everything from nickle up you can.

Your new so you can use all the practice on different targets you Can.

and definitely let us know how it went.

Happy Hunting !

Jeff

OP
OP
C

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
I would take a slightly different tact. If this place has only been used since 1985, it's unlikely you're going to find any old/valuable coins. I don't know about you, but, I don't care if I ever find any more clad. If you're hitting tons of quarters, sure, that's fine, but not what I bought MY detector for. Given your short window of opportunity and a large area to search, I would hunt for gold only. You just have to ask yourself not only what you want to find, but, what you don't mind leaving there. Just for clarification, what do you mean by "getting resurfaced"? Is it just plowed and the same dirt laid back down? Is the top layer getting removed and new dirt put in it's place? Where is the old dirt going? Answers to those questions might make a difference on your decision.

It's the same dirt just all plowed up and smoothed back down. It's a small farm town and it makes a nice flat surface for everyone to practice on.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the same dirt just all plowed up and smoothed back down. It's a small farm town and it makes a nice flat surface for everyone to practice on.

Yes they did the same thing at a field here, Ripped it all up with a plow,
then smoothed it all down again with Rollers.

Some just tie a Log to the back of a truck & do circles on the fields too.

I suppose helps prevent grass & weeds from taking Root

Last edited:

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I hope this message get to you. Detect the area close to the Goal Post where you think that the Track and Field people laid all of their equipment during events. Some class rings should be in that area

OP
OP
C

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
It did get to me in time. That's solid advice.

Another noob question. I have two coils that came with my md. One says gold nugget on it, which is the correct coil for the job here?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See if you can detect it after they plow and before they roll it.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to agree with Jeff on this one, you need the practice and the foal.posts just like trees in a park are the hit spots for lost items. As far as your coil your question was a little vague.. what kind of machine and what kind of coil? Is it a double d coil because that would really help you cover more area quicker since you're jammed on time.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's the same dirt every year and nobody is allowed to hunt it any other time, I guess you could search for whatever you want and if you miss something, it'll be there to find next year. Have fun and let us know what your find!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It did get to me in time. That's solid advice.

Another noob question. I have two coils that came with my md. One says gold nugget on it, which is the correct coil for the job here?

I'd say no. But only because your not looking for Gold Nuggets.
but as bzbadger says we would need more info on the detector the coil &
what your other coil is, & sizes .

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
I'm going to let everyone down here...

I found a whopping 1.84 in clad.

Just that

Nothing else

The ground was so hard I couldn't get much more than an inch or two down. I found every target I fixed to. One of those fancy knives the diggers use would have been nice. Unfortunately I'm a Starbucks barista with a real morgage, and can't afford one yet.

Sorry guys.

Of all the Charlie browns in the world I'm the Charlie Browniest.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That blade you see them using is $35, I have one. You cam also go to home depot and vet one of their lime green handle sod knives which has teeth on it, even marked in inches to show depth, I have one too and it was $7. Not everything has to be expensive and most of is do the best we can with what we have. I think you have shown you can do the same and u didn't let anyone down, you tried and you accomplished something it just wasn't a pile of gold.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to let everyone down here...

I found a whopping 1.84 in clad.

Just that

Nothing else

The ground was so hard I couldn't get much more than an inch or two down. I found every target I fixed to. One of those fancy knives the diggers use would have been nice. Unfortunately I'm a Starbucks barista with a real morgage, and can't afford one yet.

Sorry guys.

Of all the Charlie browns in the world I'm the Charlie Browniest.

not a bad day for your first time in ballfield, that just happened to be baked hard.
I've been detecting for what is pushing 50 years and have had worse days :thumbsup:

Now shake it off and say "on to the next site"

Next can you afford a $20 ? Seymour WP-5402 Dandelion Digger With Wooden Handle: Gardening & Lawn Care : Walmart.com these suckers will go through the hardest Ground,
these are also good if told you need to use a Screwdriver or other narrow device :thumbsup:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a slightly different tact. If this place has only been used since 1985, it's unlikely you're going to find any old/valuable coins. .

You never know!! if you are in a historical area, you're chances are lot better that you will find something good, i'm sure there was some sort of 19th c. or even 17th c. activity on the property before the school... but.. i think you are right!! if you are hunting a high school field or something, chances are it's been scrapped pretty darn good but you never know.. i.e. if the property was once used during the Civil War or Rev War for camp, battle area or even a skirmish, then 130 years later they build a school on top of it, etc.. You could pick up signals 12+ inches in the ground that the scrapper missed like a big brass object/cannonball,etc... Since I live in a very historical area of the Civil War i have heard numerous stories of cannonballs and buckles being found right on a high school/park football,soccer field, tennis court areas, etc where some new digger will get permission real quick cause they are tearing up their old football field or tennis court and then.. all of a sudden.. they find a cannonball,buckles,big brass/iron objects, etc. Depending on how deep the field was scraped back in the day there could possibly be a historical artifact there! Maybe one day you can pull up old land records,maps,etc @ the library and figure out what was on the school property before it was a school.. you may be shocked if you are a in historical area..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread