1920s farm house permission granted!

OhioDigger24

Sep 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a good friend who owns 68 acres near me. A house built in the 1920 sits vacant on his lot and nearby is the old rickety barn. He said I could go wherever I wanted. There are also 2 large corn fields between his house and the old one. I have a coinmaster pro with stock coil. I know there is a lot of trash around the house and barn. I want to hunt the fields as well. Any suggestions on settings or particular spots to look?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Start out at the rural mailbox for dropped stamp coins and then hit the house, first where cars or wagons would have been parked, then work the kitchen side of the house, chicken coup and then work the house in a circle...

The barn where equipment is sheltered, then the base of the main support posts, then aisleways...probably wouldn't find much in the stalls, but work them anyways, especially near the gates. Look for stuff stashed on top of the upper support timbers...what may look like an old rag or dead bird could be just that or maybe a prize...

Somewhere on the property is a trash dump or burn pile, usually in a depression of hollow...never know what you'll find...

Check any old direleck (junkers) truck or car...trunk, under seats, ash trays...lots of old coins...most likely pennies, but what the heck...

OP
OP
OhioDigger24

OhioDigger24

Sep 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome info thanks! My wife's family has a giant farm nearby as well that was built by their German ancestors in the late 1800's. they told me I could go there as well! Her grams even said the family, specifically their great-great grandmother, was notorious for burying money and silver that has never been found around the base of the home that is still standing!

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Look for the biggest trees around there, or huge old stumps, was no air conditioning in them good old days, and that shade tree in the yard, or along a fence line next to a field for big trees, many a child came into existence from under them trees.
Getting access to an old house that's probably virgin land, well that's like finding willy wonkas golden ticket.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Mike

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great place & I'm sure ur gonna find some cool stuff

OP
OP
OhioDigger24

OhioDigger24

Sep 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope so...weather is going to be great! Little rain Thursday and then it drops from 90 to 67 and sunny!!

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds very exciting ! Please share your finds with us. Good luck !

OP
OP
OhioDigger24

OhioDigger24

Sep 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of Ohio are you (general vicinity?).

I grew up in Columbus...

- Bill

Down at preble county in the sticks! They said i could pan for gold too in their creek which actually has some fine black sand and exposed bedrock!

I wont stiff these people..if i find something of value i will offer to them first...they are older so i think they get a kick out of it

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohiodigger24,
As you've been told you have at least two time consuming adventures in front of you. Detecting after a rain, give it 8 hours to soak in, would likely bring old target signals up from below so treat them with care, dig a wide hole.

Congratulations on having such wonderful areas to detect.................63bkpkr

OP
OP
OhioDigger24

OhioDigger24

Sep 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohiodigger24,
As you've been told you have at least two time consuming adventures in front of you. Detecting after a rain, give it 8 hours to soak in, would likely bring old target signals up from below so treat them with care, dig a wide hole.

Congratulations on having such wonderful areas to detect.................63bkpkr

Ah good tip..i forgot about that!

jd5105

May 20, 2009
West Monroe, La.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1260x, BountyHunter DE280 Outlaw, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try to determine where the clothesline would have been.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JD, excellent idea about the clothesline.

I always do well around clothe lines if no where else. Sidewalks, walkways and big trees are other great areas. Also look and see where the water is flowing. I have found coins in low areas where they get washed away after a heavy rain. Turn the sensitivity down on your detector and get close to the fences. I found a silver half next to chain link where no one else was able to find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions