Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard ground is hard to get a target out and make it look like you were never there afterward impossible. If you have to get it, just do the best you can. If the target was out of reach of my screwdriver (probe), I usually left it unless I couldn't disc it out as it could be silver. Silver being so conductive, that's why it is scarce today. Just do the best you can.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
black-rose, I assume you're talking about turf, of course, right? If so, then when the grass/dirt is super dry (at the peak of summers), it's going to be next to impossible to go after deep coins, without leaving a trace. For that reason, a lot of guys don't do park turf in the peak summer month. Because yea, the soil doesn't cut like butter, and doesn't repack, like moist turf does. And the grass therefore in-your-divot will die easier, etc....

So sometimes I just save my turf hunting for the moist seasons. And at this time of year, hit other type venues (old town urban demolition tearouts, beaches, ghost townsy ruins type spots, etc...). Or hunt parks that have a better watering system so that the soil is moist (enough) year round. But for the parks that .... by this time of year .... get crumbly dry, then no, good clean precise plugs get nearly impossible to keep neat enough to re-insert back into the ground.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
black-rose, I assume you're talking about turf, of course, right? If so, then when the grass/dirt is super dry (at the peak of summers), it's going to be next to impossible to go after deep coins, without leaving a trace. For that reason, a lot of guys don't do park turf in the peak summer month. Because yea, the soil doesn't cut like butter, and doesn't repack, like moist turf does. And the grass therefore in-your-divot will die easier, etc....

So sometimes I just save my turf hunting for the moist seasons. And at this time of year, hit other type venues (old town urban demolition tearouts, beaches, ghost townsy ruins type spots, etc...). Or hunt parks that have a better watering system so that the soil is moist (enough) year round. But for the parks that .... by this time of year .... get crumbly dry, then no, good clean precise plugs get nearly impossible to keep neat enough to re-insert back into the ground.

I'm still fairly new to md-ing, and this is the approach I'm taking. The ground where I live in Maryland has been bone dry for weeks. Even the small creek beds are drying up. When I have gone out lately, I've just hit tot lots because all of them around here have a bed of mulch, which is easy enough to put back and make it look mostly undisturbed.

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre

Yes I was referring to turf. I am just using my lesche hand digger, no shovels or anything like that. On saturday I spend about 30 minutes digging turf in a park but had to call it quits because it was WAY to hot. I could feel myself getting dizzy and I didn't want to pass out. I am going to stick to tot lots and beaches for the time being, just to get back into the swing of things. I gotta say diggin' sand is way easier, especially in the heat! XD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions