heading to Lexington, KY

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi guys! I'm from Ohio, but heading to Lexington this weekend and looking for any good spots in the area. Also, if anyone has advice or knowledge about legalities concerning detecting in KY, I would be grateful for your input. I'm new to detecting, but seems like the laws are vague at best.

Vague IS best. Best that it be un-addressed, and/or silent on the issue. Can't argue with that :) What were you looking for? Neon signs saying "detecting welcome here?" :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
E

emle

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2013
Vague IS best. Best that it be un-addressed, and/or silent on the issue. Can't argue with that :) What were you looking for? Neon signs saying "detecting welcome here?" :icon_scratch:

Ahhhh, yes. I see your point... vague IS best. Neon signs would be helpful but attract too much unwanted attention. I was thinking something more subtle like flare rounds shot off every few minutes. All joking aside, I just really don't want to get shot at, arrested or have detector confiscated.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

........ I just really don't want to get ........ arrested or have detector confiscated.

Well, if there were no rules prohibiting a certain activity (ie.: vague or silent on the subject), then how could you get "arrested" or have your "detector confiscated" for something which isn't forbidden? Not sure I understand the logic there.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Maybe I will see you around the state. I am headed to Ky tomorrow for a little vacation myself. Hope you find some good areas. Share your finds and adventures with us.

OP
OP
E

emle

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2013
@Tom - I'm reading and still learning - there is a plethora of info (some conflicting). I suppose the logic is: not sure what to expect, so I decided to ask. I appreciate & understand what you're saying. Thank you. :)

@Old Why, thank you! Not trying to get rich, just have some fun. I hope your trip is productive too. I've been doing some light reading about the Wilderness Road. Unfortunately, I think most of it is indistinguishable anymore. But I will be sure to share what I find.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a map of all the parks in Lexington. Have fun. Lexington Parks and Recreation-- Parks Map

If it were me i'd head out of town and find an old tobacco farm to detect. Crops should be hanging in the barn by now and the soil has probably been tilled. Plus you have the opportunity to find some native American relics. Also, look for vacant lots in town where an old home may have been. I know there was an old Victorian that sat on Curry ave. off of S. Broadway that is no longer there, just a field. Across the street from here- https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...F-8&ei=HlYwUs_pH6fj2QXugYGYBA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

PS- Early mornings are the best time to be stealthy and unnoticed, especially Sunday's.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

....... PS- Early mornings are the best time to be stealthy and unnoticed, especially Sunday's.

Emle, what diggummup is saying, with the above quote, is this: Even though an activity may not be "specifically" prohibited (thus no tickets or arrests, etc...), yet this lack-of-prohibition isn't to be construed to mean that ..... everyone will love it, and/or that someone might not try to morph something ELSE to apply (the dreaded alterations or "collecting/harvesting" clauses, etc...).

Because, let's face it: md'ing has admitted connotations (that you might be about to leave a mark or hole or something). So what diggummup is saying, is avoid such lookie-lous. Don't swat hornet's nests, so-to-speak. Kinda like picking your nose: not necessarily illegal .... but ... uh .... we all sort of use a little discretion in our timing so as not to offend anyone.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like historical sites, try and make time to go to Boonesboro, just outside of Winchester, Ky. It is just on the eastern edge of Lexington. Well worth the few dollars admittance.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
E

emle

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2013
Thank you all for taking the time to share info and tips! Valuable leads and sound advice. Awesome in my book.
@Tom Although I was chuckling at nose picking comparison, I do realize just how accurate that is and exactly what you mean.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like historical sites, try and make time to go to Boonesboro, just outside of Winchester, Ky. It is just on the eastern edge of Lexington. Well worth the few dollars admittance.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
The good old days. Used to go swimming there. Don't remember being charged an admission back then though.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The good old days. Used to go swimming there. Don't remember being charged an admission back then though.

This is to the old fort replica. There is a park there as well that you may be talking about. Nice area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread