This could save your life!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was thinking about something that almost happened to me a long time ago in Alabama.
If you happen to be searching a old homesite, be it standing or just a pile of rocks, do yourself a huge favor and do NOT walk across a old pile of boards laying on the ground, sure it may just be an innocent pile laying there, covered in leaves and weeds, or it very well may be covering a old well!.
Like I said, you could lose your life, especially if you are hunting alone.
I was searching the area around a old homesite, it just looked like a pile of old rotting boards, one step later and crunch...I was flat on my back, with one leg magically in an unseen hole.
Well I got up and realized what had just happened, and grabbed a nearby rock and dropped it in the hole, about 3 seconds later I heard a splash..
I just felt the need to share this experience, since it could have been my last.

Upvote 0

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always had a fear of that. Sometimes the boards are covered with leaves. Scary!!!!!!!!!!!!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the safety reminder. Glad you weren't hurt.

Anita

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good that you came out of that uninjured. I almost stepped into a similar hole that turned out to be on open septic tank full of ugggh.
luvsdux

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there was a post a few months back from someone who actually stepped into a well and she came close to going all the way through but luckily caught herself but was like chest deep. She managed to pull herself out and was very lucky because she said she was alone, hate to see something like this happening to anyone. Good thing to point out

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image-1739557120.jpg

Found this one the other day.

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
Old home sites and towns usually had wells. These days many will not be covered up at all. Many are hidden by weeds and brush. A few years ago around here a lady went missing while blackberry hunting. A few weeks later she was found dead in a cistern. Can you imagine falling into a hole you can't get out of and never getting rescued? Surely something all relic hunters should keep and eye out for.

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
I went through one about 10 years ago. It was covered by a sheet of metal (which was rusted) and had dirt over that. I went straight through with my detector on my right arm. I slammed the detector down on the side and prevented myself from falling to the bottom. I was alone in a remote area. Scared the crap out of me. So I agree totally with the OP. Be careful out there!!!

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent point made...........last year I walked on top of a cement top, covering the septic system and it collapsed in and thank God, I was able to catch myself on th edge.........so we need to be careful, very careful......

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Talked to a family member the other day and he had this happen, lucky for him it was mostly filled in, got a twisted ankle out of it. Made me think of this so I figured I would relate this here and in turn bump it, very useful knowledge.

Mike

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Food for thought, never hunt alone. Carry a whistle in your pocket so you don't yell yourself horse maybe even a dog whistle if dogs are in area. Even a GPS Spot: SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE. True you are in a hole but The Spot is a Satellite Device and there are lots of Satellites passing overhead and The SPOT 911 (SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE) sends out your position. I've come across those holes and one reason I never hunt alone.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tell you that I am more afraid of rattlesnakes than holes here in SWFL, I guess it all depends on where you detect. I guess sharks are scary too, gators, bad people..geesh, I could talk myself outta this hobby if I tried.:laughing7:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite a few years ago (in the late 1940s or early 1950s), some boys were playing ball in a vacant lot close to where I lived. The boys in the neighborhood had played in the lot for years. It was actually about 6 city lots that had no buildings on them. A cow was 'staked' and grazing a few yards from where the boys were playing. They heard a lot bellow from the cow and saw only the upper half of the cow. The cow had stepped into an old well that had not been filled properly. The boys alerted some of the neighbors who pulled the cow out. I guess the weight of the cow was enough to make the soil sink. Possibly the boys were lucky that they were lighter in weight.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All posts Very true you, although this hobby can be Very fun it can be dangerous aswell Wells are my fear I usually always pack a whats needed just incase when venturing out into unfamiliar territory, space blanket,charged phone,waterproof firestarter,water,food, a .38 or a 380 you just never know safe then sorry

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the "heads-up"! I'm new to detecting but I also geocache so it's good to read posts like this to pass along to others as well as others in different outdoor activities. Kudos to you OP!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are the times when detecting alone with no one around for miles can be dangerous. That wouldn't be a very good way to die, in a well, miles away from anyone, screaming for help! :help::help::help: Don't mean to sound morbid...

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thors is why you always tell someone where you are going and if they don't see or hear from you the next day they go find help.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will definitely look more carefully for that

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do wind up in the bottom of a well, make sure you check the bottom well before you get rescued. There's no telling what coins/treasure might have been tossed in there for good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions