Metal detecting today at home, found this rock,and a quartz rock.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different Rocks 017.JPG Different Rocks 013.JPG These two rocks set my detector off and I was just wanting to know why. The darker rock is really heavy and found it in my yard 7 or 8 inches underground. I don't know what kind of rock it is. The other rock is quartz I got from a quartz vein I have been digging in. Got plenty of quartz rocks from this vein but this is the only one that sets off my detector. Thanks everyone in advance for your help. Different Rocks 003.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnanks emle Don't know what is that problem, I can see them on my pc.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For picture #3, the heavy mystery rock, is there some kind of bar or similar object in the foreground of your picture? Otherwise, it appears there is some kind of rod running through the rock?? Beyond that, not sure what kind of rock it is. You may want to note what part of the country you found it, which may help others determine what it could be.

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you White Tornado. The bar I think you are talking about is my camera wrist strap, sorry about that. I live in southwest Va near Hillsville Va. Found it in my back yard. Sure is heavy, I think it must be iron but don't know.

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks White Tornado, here is another pic of the heavy rock hope it helps. Different Rocks 002.JPG

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks pippin, how heavy is petrified wood? This is really heavy. And it sets my MD off.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a prospector, break that quartz up and find out what's setting the detector off.

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ism, thanks, great idea might do that, be my luck there is nothing in it. Most of the specks on the outside are gold until I take a picture of it and then they all look silver. LOL. Probably some iron in it. Woopy do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread