Do Different Metal Detectors Place Nice With Each Other?

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my brother to come up to the ranch to the old school finally, he has a Minelab and a Whites. We were really pumped after I found the WWI button last weekend. Well, he takes the Whites, and I with my Ace start to swing. We are about 20-30 feet from each other mine goes crazy, his goes crazy. The things would not hit on our rings on our hands, my knife, a tin can nothing, but lower them to the ground and and both of the went nuts. I even changed out batteries on mine, reset it and nada. I told him joking that he better make nice with the ghosts there, because apparently they don't like him. About that time he put the whites up got his minelab out and my detector calmed down. Has any one had any probs like this? His whites is a spectrum.

We still haven't cleared brush...hubby has a chainsaw, but no chain for it, and my brother who has everything doesn't have one :-\. These guys are like you know your a redneck if.....and they don't have a chainsaw? My brother has a tractor though and offered to bring it. We found very little, just washers, old ring thing you would tie a horse to, a handle from a chest etc. Then the rain started and and we were defeated.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why some detectors have a frequency knob for changing freq. Some detector brands work fine near each other and others don't.

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, I know mine does not have a knob, but I bet his does. We will have to try it out.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
My Vaquero plays heck with my friends MXT. The Vaquero even has a frequency shift switch and it still plays havok no matter what setting I use. Mine doesn't seem to be bothered by his machine, but his goes bonkers.

I couldn't use my Tejon digging a trench line when other Tejon's were nearby. My machine went so squirrely that I had to turn it off and march about 50 feet away before it would calm down. No frequency shift on the Tejon, so didn't have much choice but to do my digging else where.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
My Fisher plays well with Bounty Hunters and DFX's, so far anyways. Some do it, some don't. Check the frequency of each in your operator's manuals. I'll bet they're either the same, or pretty close.

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I almost bought an M6 for my son last year because I liked my MXT. My dealer showed me the crosstalk of the two "same-freq" detectors half way across the store and changed my mind. Trying to get both to work in a small area would have been a big mistake.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Some detectors play nice with each other. Others, no matter what you do will cross-talk and interfere no matter what. You ought to see sometime what 150+ detectors do on an area not much bigger than a football field in a competition hunt with everybody jockeying for position and ricocheting off each other when they get too close. ::) ;D

T

TreasureTales

stoney56 said:
Some detectors play nice with each other. Others, no matter what you do will cross-talk and interfere no matter what. You ought to see sometime what 150+ detectors do on an area not much bigger than a football field in a competition hunt with everybody jockeying for position and ricocheting off each other when they get too close. ::) ;D

Yep, that can be very frustrating when you're doing a fee hunt and your machine starts getting cross talk. Usually it doesn't affect me, but my machine will make those cheapies go bonkers. It's really kinda good in a canned hunt. hehehe

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the only bad thing about hunting with the wife.Our detectors don't play well together.She gets within 30 or 40 feet of me and it's over.I can't afford a better one just yet, so she's just gonna have to keep her distance! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions