Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Aug 2013
    tc2x
    60 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

need some advice

Hi I posted a thread abt old railroad tracks and doing some md there and I was looking at some old maps on the outside of town where the tracks use to be and it showed 2 spots for houses am I reading that right? there right next to the tracks and showed one had 2 acres and the other 3/4 of a acre are those houses or something else built there?

us
    Nov 2012
    Cincinnati Ohio
    White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
    1922 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Uhhhhh.....I don't see the maps. Did you forget to upload them?

us
    I'm in pretty good shape.....for the shape I'm in!

Apr 2013
    Vacherie Louisiana
    XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 , Minelab Explorer II Garrett pointer Garrett Pro Pointer Detectorpro Uniprobe Vibra-tector 730 Vibra-Probe 580
    203 times
    Metal Detecting
    They didn't show up here either..........
    I don't MD for profit...it wasn't planned that way, but .......

us
    Aug 2013
    tc2x
    60 times
    My bad give me a min take a picture sorry

us
    Aug 2013
    tc2x
    60 times
    Can you see it alright? Says g wilder and h.c. gray right in that area

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20130912_202901.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	445.5 KB 
ID:	862867

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9012 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Yup, those look like habitations of yesteryear. Houses that are now gone. And I see township lines on there. Presuming scale is accurate, you can measure off township lines easily seen on modern topo's.

Ok once you find a gold coin there, you owe all of us a 12-pack now!
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Aug 2013
    tc2x
    60 times
    So there should be stuff there then..this map is from 1866...and y did they build so close to the tracks?

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13708 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbj View Post
    So there should be stuff there then..this map is from 1866...and y did they build so close to the tracks?
    sometimes the houses were there first and they ran tracks between them - the dwellings might have been owned by the RR too
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Aug 2013
    tc2x
    60 times
    Ic I didn't know that..think ill have to check it out...and out dated is Google maps so i can pinpoint the places?

Ism
    us
    Jun 2009
    Michigan
    Tesoro Vaquero Whites TDI Minelab Sovereign GT XP Deus
    169 times
    You can overlay an image in Google earth. Historicalmapworks.com has an overlay feature that isn't perfect but easier than fiddling with Google earth.
    Remember that the square homestead marker covers about 1/2 acre so to say the homestead was right next to the tracks is not necessarily true.
    While the old map surveys were fairly accurate, the homestead mark can be off a little from the actual location.
    When it comes to detecting, you will always find me "out standing in the field".

us
    Aug 2013
    tc2x
    60 times
    Yea thats the website I use for maps to overlay was just wondering how far out date the Google when I over lay to see if its cleared or bunch of tall stuff that I cant get into...ill deff going to do a big sweep of the places.

us
    Scott

Jun 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
    817 times
    Those are more of a general area, I hunt RR tracks because I have an old one that runs on my property dating back to the 1830s and those houses aren't as close as they appear but they are residential homes so that is a good thing. I just used the old maps to find some old sea captains homes along the Chesapeake Bay that nobody had a clue was even there, one was known but there were 4 more all in a line and right under the people's noses. Good luck on the hunt but watch for the coke, the metal infused rocks from the steam engines, they make a detector go nuts.
    To Dig or Not to Dig-That is the Question.

us
    Aug 2013
    tc2x
    60 times
    How far back would they be from the tracks...I went out last weekend and didn't find a thing or nothing looking like a place was there?

us
    Scott

Jun 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
    817 times
    Its really hard to tell, those old maps were very generalized in placements but I usually find stuff within a couple hundred feet. Worst thing to do is have your machine in all metal mode because of the tracks and the junk/trash that fell from the trains. You will never get a reading of a house that way. I put mine on coin mode or customized to the point you know what it picks up would have to be something from a house. Those maps are worth gold. The ones for Maryland..the 1877 atlas are so hard to come by around here. I found 1 copy within 100 miles of me except for the library which has 2 copies and if u want to see it they bring it out for you, you sit on a closed room while the guy stands there watching you...you would think I was at the library of congress. Fortunately a friend got one that fell apart and he allowed me to male copies of it so now I have my own but I still use an overlay online. I like to just print out a new current map at the same size and take with me. It really really helps if you show a land owner what their land used to be and het them excited at what may be in their ground, makes it easier to ask for permission.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain
    To Dig or Not to Dig-That is the Question.

Ism
    us
    Jun 2009
    Michigan
    Tesoro Vaquero Whites TDI Minelab Sovereign GT XP Deus
    169 times
    Many times there is a carpeting of nails left behind from a tear down. That's how I find the general location of the homestead in farm fields.
    When it comes to detecting, you will always find me "out standing in the field".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links