Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HobbyMan

Sep 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, XP DEUS, Golden Mask 4 Pro, Teknetics Eurotek Pro 11'' DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks to me like the Golden Mask beeps just as well on the nails as it does on the ring. Three beeps on every pass no mater what the settings. I like a detector that is silent over the nails and only beeps on the ring or coin. White's Classics and Tesoros come to mind.

No, you misunderstand it, this is two-tone discrimination - a high tone is color signal and a low tone for iron. The Golden Mask 4 Pro also has a silent mode.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My whites DFX found a quarter at 6" under a pull tab, and I mean directly under the pull tab and the quarter rang up loud and clear. I was shocked. I did like only one thing about my minelab, in all metal mode you definitely knew if you passed over iron, that machine had a crystal clear iron low tone or grunt that was good

HobbyMan

Sep 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My whites DFX found a quarter at 6" under a pull tab, and I mean directly under the pull tab and the quarter rang up loud and clear. I was shocked. I did like only one thing about my minelab, in all metal mode you definitely knew if you passed over iron, that machine had a crystal clear iron low tone or grunt that was good

The pull tabs generate a good signals themselves, so nothing shocking here.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
My Explorer SE couldn't even compete with my Outlaw in recovery speed, disc or pinpointing. With the super pinpointing you can basically tell the size and shape of the target as well. The double beep on the ring is exactly like our Canadian $2 coin. This machine can sense one side of the ring then the empty center and then the other side of the ring. I'm 100% accurate on our $2 coin as long as it is relatively flat or at as much as 45 degrees. Absolutely amazing.

When the Outlaw is set up properly there is no chatty sound on bad targets beside or on top of a good target. Also it's the only machine I've ever used that doesn't sound off when swinging and hitting a rock or tree root.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not get the press as much any more being a bit older model now, but I still think the MXT or MXT Pro is one of the best values in an all around metal detector under $1000 out there. Very easy to understand; the owners manual is on the bottom of the control box. Cheater settings are clearly marked on the controls. Great coil selection. The two year transferable warranty means you can sell and lose little value early on if detecting is not for you. Or better yet find one used with over a year remaining on the warranty, which even then you can still pass on. A very safe choice. I do not own one now as I tend to prefer specialized units over do-it-all machines but if I had to own just one detector under $1000 the MXT would be on my short list along with the X-Terra 705 and AT Gold.

Very good suggestions from a knowledgeable veteran detectorist! The MXT is a great all around machine and loves small gold. The XTerra 705 can be used with a faster swing speed than the Etrac with excellent separation, and actually can be more stable in iron trashy sites.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Explorer SE couldn't even compete with my Outlaw in recovery speed, disc or pinpointing. With the super pinpointing you can basically tell the size and shape of the target as well. The double beep on the ring is exactly like our Canadian $2 coin. This machine can sense one side of the ring then the empty center and then the other side of the ring. I'm 100% accurate on our $2 coin as long as it is relatively flat or at as much as 45 degrees. Absolutely amazing.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZxAD5PmfiE

When the Outlaw is set up properly there is no chatty sound on bad targets beside or on top of a good target. Also it's the only machine I've ever used that doesn't sound off when swinging and hitting a rock or tree root.

My Xterra will do the same thing on closed loop objects. Many detectors will make a double beep as the coil passes over each side of the loop. This is fairly common.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

My Xterra will do the same thing on closed loop objects. Many detectors will make a double beep as the coil passes over each side of the loop. This is fairly common.

My Explorer or GTI couldn't.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Explorer or GTI couldn't.

I first realized it with my compadre. It was pretty obvious. On the xterra, if you slow the swing down you can hear the sides of the pulltab or ring being passed over. Ive only noticed it on shallower targets, but I think the circle has to be positioned very flat in order for it to work so that may have something to do with it.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No I got a quarter vdi reading and a solid signal, it was notched out but I still got the good signal.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I dig a coin with nails in the same hole, which is quite often I thank goodness my explorer doesn't watch those videos.

littlebear

Jul 24, 2006
Elgin Texas
Detector(s) used
white 5900/DI Pro
Garrett GTA 1000 ultra
Ive been digging dirt sence 1973 when a friend gave me a whites machine sence than ive owned four other whites and one garrett and for the last 4 months ive been talking and looking for a new MD and i dig for coins, old home places i dug a old ghosttown wed and every now and than i go to the coast so I like u need a all purpose machine and theres no such machine. But the closest ive been able to find to fill my need is the Minelab with the FBS technology the explorior or the safari so thats what im going to buy next. Hope this answered youre question a little better and no matter what type machine you get allways have fun and keep digging dirt

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ring5.jpg Hey Ronzie, today I found this cheap plated ring and I could hear the double blip as the coil passed over it. It rang as a nickel/pulltab so I dug it. I was excited for a sec, then cleaned it and found it was junk! I also tried on a stay tab (laying flat on ground) and could get the double blip as well. This was using the 6" (mid frequency) concentric coil. Since you mentioned that, I am paying extra attention now to try it on the targets in the gold/nickel/pulltab range just for fun.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

That's cool. I'd take a cheapie ring over clad any day. I take it that was with your X Terra.

I keep researching different detectors. Liking the F5 and now I'm liking the AT Gold.
Loved the Bill Ladd video on the Pro.

I change my mind like my socks sometimes but getting the Tiger Shark still for Christmas, but now I seriously thinking of getting an AT Gold over the Tejon now. I still might get a Tejon as well but today for example, I went to get ready to go out for a hunt and it started lightly raining. I know I can cover up the housing, but just the thought in this situation a AT Gold would be perfect. Not sure why more people don't look into the Gold instead of the Pro.
A buddy of mine wants me to get my diving license as he got his 2 years ago. I dove 20 years ago in Jamaica on our honeymoon and loved it.

OP
OP
50cent

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all very much for the replies, it will help with my decision. If you wish to continue to elaborate continue to do so, I won't post much as I don't have much knowledge on dectors/dectecting in general, but I will certianly read everything you have to say. By the way, I'm not interested in buying anyone's metal detector I've gotten two PMs regarding metal detectors, when I buy one I'll buy it new. When I buy and it arrives I'll let you guys know my decision.

HobbyMan

Sep 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also think that the AT Gold is better then AT Pro. It is faster and it is much more sensitive to small objects.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
ALL right, enough favoritism! I use several brands, but for best all around use, I use my 12 year old Whites XLT. WHY? because I just turn it on and select a program and hunt. O yes, I can set anything in the computer, scan reset speed, sensitivity, power output, tones, discrimination, You name it and you can set it. This detector set the base for all present Whites detectors. Now for the best news. Since most just see it as an old detector, you can get one used for around $300. Hay I have pulled large targets from 2' and found jars of coins at 1'. It's a good starter that you will probably keep forever.
Just my opinion, Frank...

coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

heathgeo

Dec 1, 2012
Salisbury, MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark
I personally would go with a Tesoro Vaquero & A Tesoro Sand Shark. together your looking at about $1000 total...
Nothing is going to hide from a Vaquero... And the Sand Shark is a great Pulse Induction beach machine...
Not to mention Tesoro is Made in the USA & have Lifetime Warranties.. Where the rest only offer 2-3 year warranties...
My $0.02 :)

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. I'd take a cheapie ring over clad any day. I take it that was with your X Terra.

I keep researching different detectors. Liking the F5 and now I'm liking the AT Gold.
Loved the Bill Ladd video on the Pro.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9lvYdlr8Kk

I change my mind like my socks sometimes but getting the Tiger Shark still for Christmas, but now I seriously thinking of getting an AT Gold over the Tejon now. I still might get a Tejon as well but today for example, I went to get ready to go out for a hunt and it started lightly raining. I know I can cover up the housing, but just the thought in this situation a AT Gold would be perfect. Not sure why more people don't look into the Gold instead of the Pro.
A buddy of mine wants me to get my diving license as he got his 2 years ago. I dove 20 years ago in Jamaica on our honeymoon and loved it.
Ya I was using xterra. Also found my first silver coin in the same hunt. 1964 1 franc coin.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with your gut. Talk to Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. net