A real conundrum

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something I've wondered about for a long time......

I use a Garrett GTI-2500 most of the time, and it weighs over 4 pounds. The Ace 250 is a bit more than half the weight. Nonetheless, I use a bungie cord and shoulder strap to carry most of the weight when using either detector. Even then my arm gets rather tired after about 4 hours of swinging.

I see others with detectors just as heavy as the 2500. That's no surprise, but why would you want to add to the overall weight by adding a pinpointer to the mix? Just this past weekend, I ran into another detectorist I hadn't met before. He was swinging a White's MXT with both his pinpointer and dig spade clipped on! I just wonder how long he could swing before his arm fell off!?

Isn't the whole idea to keep swing weight and momentum low, or am I wrong?

Upvote 0

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something I've wondered about for a long time......

I use a Garrett GTI-2500 most of the time, and it weighs over 4 pounds. The Ace 250 is a bit more than half the weight. Nonetheless, I use a bungie cord and shoulder strap to carry most of the weight when using either detector. Even then my arm gets rather tired after about 4 hours of swinging.

I see others with detectors just as heavy as the 2500. That's no surprise, but why would you want to add to the overall weight by adding a pinpointer to the mix? Just this past weekend, I ran into another detectorist I hadn't met before. He was swinging a White's MXT with both his pinpointer and dig spade clipped on! I just wonder how long he could swing before his arm fell off!?

Isn't the whole idea to keep swing weight and momentum low, or am I wrong?

Balance can be as important as weight. But having said that I personally don't attach stuff to my detector.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Balance and weight are key. I have may pinpointer under the arm cuff so it doesn't pull down as it once did when I had it attached in front of the display. I also switched coils on my ATP to the smaller 5x8double d and it helped a lot. I have a L.E.D small flashlight attached to the shaft but it is very lightweight and I like night detecting. No way would I ever want to hunt with those huge 15 and 18 inch Nell coils I have seen, I cant imagine that being comfortable ever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread