Silver under heavy rooted area

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 - Stock 12", 6x10 DD, 5.3 Concentric
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a solid silver hit about 5-6 inches below a ton of 1/2 in. Thick roots. What is the best tool to get down to it without destroying the target? I spent about 15 minutes with my lesche digger. Got my pro pointer hitting solid tone so I was right on top of it but the roots were so bad that my hole is only about 2" in diameter. Making it impossible to get it out without scratching it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty old nails ring as silver often
I know that due to wrap around. But this was hitting a solid 91-92 on my dfx from every angle. Most of the time the signal will be choppy if it's iron. I'm still learning but I have seen silver getting messed up from iron targets next to them. We will see

OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to think y'all are right and putting my stubbornness aside haha. I'll have a jeweler test it

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a caution about cutting roots.

One can kill a tree or a tree can get some sort of disease from cutting the roots. My neighbor lady went crazy on me when i was digging a hole in my yard for a post about 4' from property line and I cut out a good size root. She said you're killing my tree and I ignored her because I was on my property. Well sure enough leaves started turning brown and the next spring it was dead and she blamed me.

If ya kill someones 100 yr old oak tree they may not be happy.

OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol it was a dead crape myrtle. I'm pretty cautious when it comes to roots. That is definitely something people should be aware about though! I'm in the landscaping business so I know better. Probably wouldn't hurt to make a thread about that just to give people a heads up.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call BS. Watch street and sidewalk crews chew through tree roots (including some BIG ones). I have never seen any of those trees dead later on, so I have ZERO fears about cutting a couple little roots.

OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call BS. Watch street and sidewalk crews chew through tree roots (including some BIG ones). I have never seen any of those trees dead later on, so I have ZERO fears about cutting a couple little roots.

Yeah I agree with you there really. Cutting a few small roots will have absolutely no affect. I have killed a small tree at my job before by cutting a few of the main roots... But to kill a 100 yr old old... You would have to cut it down to kill it

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Job! Sometimes fighting with your mind about doing something is the hardest thing to go through but you did it and you were rewarded for your efforts.

The rust on the spoon could be from electrolysis of the nail to the spoon. The scratches on the spoon show very silver color. I suggest carefully cleaning the spoon looking for any markings where the handle would be (doubt if there are any there usually on the handle) and see what it looks like. First though you could pass a magnet over it to see if it's attracted to it, if not that leaves out magnetic metals though I do not know what the formula for pewter is. Silver melts at a fairly high temperature though MAP gas should melt it if it is silver.

I'm hoping someone chimes in with an easy test for silver. Again, well done!..........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
NCcoinDigger

NCcoinDigger

Jul 2, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! you just answered my question. I was wondering if silver could obtain rust from another rusty target. I couldnt help but to scratch it. it was directly under a thick root. Once I saw the color it was too late, I could see where I had been scratching it! :(
Nice Job! Sometimes fighting with your mind about doing something is the hardest thing to go through but you did it and you were rewarded for your efforts.

The rust on the spoon could be from electrolysis of the nail to the spoon. The scratches on the spoon show very silver color. I suggest carefully cleaning the spoon looking for any markings where the handle would be (doubt if there are any there usually on the handle) and see what it looks like. First though you could pass a magnet over it to see if it's attracted to it, if not that leaves out magnetic metals though I do not know what the formula for pewter is. Silver melts at a fairly high temperature though MAP gas should melt it if it is silver.

I'm hoping someone chimes in with an easy test for silver. Again, well done!..........................63bkpkr

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a button that I thought was silver and took it to a couple of places to have tested and at both places it passed the acid test. Both jewelers still didn't think it was silver and our guess is aluminum lol They said they weren't sure what aluminum would do in the acid test as no one had ever brought anything in to test that they knew for sure was aluminum... If its silver it SHOULD have a little weight to it I guess compared to aluminum. That was the main reason they didn't think it was silver. I actually found someone that has one of those guns that determine the composition of metallic items. I can take stuff to him and he checks for free. Finding someone that owns one of those testers could help a lot...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread