Newbie looking for detector

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A used 6000 di pro is an easy to learn machine (just gotta get used to the fast motion required in disc). It's versatile, all around coin/jewelry machine (so long as the jewelry isn't so teensy like tinsel thin chains or earing studs). It's not water proof, yet is fine to stick the coil in the water (so long as you don't submerge the box). Good wet salt machine.

Not as deep as today's power-houses, yet still had fans that won't switch to newer machines, even after all these years.

Make sure it's the "di pro" version of the 6000 (black box w/950 loop), not the earlier incarnations of the 6000. You can find these on ebay frequently for well within your price range.

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into Teknetics for High end cheaper units, I'm sure the 6000 or 8000 would suit you just fine at that price range or lower.
I use the 4000 (under $300) and I do NOT see the need for extra money as it suits me just fine and finds silver best kind!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there is anything one machine in your price range that will search both land and sea with any degree of ease. I agree with Tom that the 6000di pro is a very good old school analog machine but I wouldn't even think about taking that thing in the surf. If you're lucky enough, you might find one cheap enough that you can also buy a good used PI machine too. That would cover most hunt conditions and give you pretty good bang for your buck.

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had $600 right now I'd get the AT PRO. I know it may not be a beginners machine but there's nothing like learning on something you can use without upgrading. you can even go in water up to 10 feet. I'm saving up for one to upgrade from my whites 4900/D Pro Plus machine from the 80's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread