Brass (as in the metal)

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Greetings Old Hands:

I may be searching for some large brass objects in the near future. The signatures would be decent sized - as in 6lb field gun sized. Also, there may be a small amount of iron strapping too. Several target(s) may be grouped together. They could be under water, or buried 3-4 feet deep (possilby 2-3 feet more).

Any suggestions for a detector?

Starsplitter

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
starsplitter said:
Greetings Old Hands:

as in 6lb field gun sized.
Any suggestions for a detector?

Starsplitter

Well, if your literally talking field gun rounds, those aren't going to be made of brass. If it is really 6 pounders, those are going to be solid iron. The odd thing is, they may be big and iron, but they aren't going to ring up like a horseshoe. Old field iron, like farm tools and such are almost impossible to disc out, but those big ole iron ball fragments won't read unless you have you disc turned way down into the iron range. I have no idea why, but I have several pieces and can't get them to read unless I have it down into the rusty nail range.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the deepest depth into the mud and sand underwater a good PI type will find everything. Something like a Whites PI Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, or Garrett's Infinium LS.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Grub and Sandman:

Thank you for your responses. I may be misinterpreting the documentation. When the time comes, I will adjust for the iron. Thanks.

Starsplitter​

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you talking the cannons themselves or the projectiles? There were brass cannon. Napoleonic field cannons were used by both sides in the CW.

You're in luck. Brass is right up with aluminum pull tabs for conductivity and ALL detectors will locate pull tabs. But you want something that shoots DEEP. Cannon aren't going to be shallow. Check out Garrett's site and the add-on cache hunting coils (two seperated rectangular coils that shoot very deep).

Underwater you're more limited. I know Minelab sells a submersable detector that also works dry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread