Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I'm having a problem with play in my shaft, its right at the cam lock where the s-shaft connects to the main box shaft, so the whole shaft wobbles.

To put it another way you got the box, and display on the upper shaft and then the s-shaft, right there it has play.

I need to know if anyone else has/had this issue and what you did to fix it.

I'm thinking of calling Whites and sending it in, I think my 2yrs is almost up, if not passed, so I'm open to any and all ideas on a fix, its driving me nuts, cause I think its causing it to false.

Thanks, chip

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi chip. There has to be something worn or broken that you should be able to see with a visual inspection when you loosen the cam lock and pull out the shaft doesn't there? Not too many high tech parts in that area, can you actually move the shaft (wobble it) with your hand?

OP
OP
chip12977

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't pulled the shaft off yet, but yes I can move the shaft in all directions, I would say at the coil it moves at least a 1/4" if not more.

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm having a problem with play in my shaft, its right at the cam lock where the s-shaft connects to the main box shaft, so the whole shaft wobbles.

To put it another way you got the box, and display on the upper shaft and then the s-shaft, right there it has play.

I need to know if anyone else has/had this issue and what you did to fix it.

Thanks, chip
When my shaft has play in it and my whole shaft wobbles. I just crank on it for a while until the problem goes away, and then I usually fall asleep.
Or you could just call whites and I bet they will send you another one.

OP
OP
chip12977

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy do I feel like a dumb ^ss, I went to take the shaft off to inspect the cam lock and I was able to turn it another 1/4 turn.
Took all the slop out of the shaft

I tried to tighten it more a few days ago but couldn't get it any tighter, turns out the dx-1 box was not letting me get my hand around the cam lock to get some good torque on it, needless to say I'm happy. Now bring summer back so I can improve on my finds!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my shaft has play in it and my whole shaft wobbles. I just crank on it for a while until the problem goes away, and then I usually fall asleep.

LMFAO. I don't have this problem much these days! Grey in your beard will solve that problem.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chip12977 said:
Boy do I feel like a dumb ^ss, I went to take the shaft off to inspect the cam lock and I was able to turn it another 1/4 turn.
Took all the slop out of the shaft

I tried to tighten it more a few days ago but couldn't get it any tighter, turns out the dx-1 box was not letting me get my hand around the cam lock to get some good torque on it, needless to say I'm happy. Now bring summer back so I can improve on my finds!

Figured it was something easy. They are built pretty damn tough. Glad you got it figured out.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FreeMindStuck said:

That's another way to find a pearl necklace. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread