Mineralization of soil

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand there is a difference in fresh water and saltwater beaches because of mineralization that is caused from the salt. Dos his mean that in areas where rock salt is used in the winter to de ice roads the mineralization along these roads and walkways can be altered effecting or detectors?
Gerry

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be wrong but can't imagine it would make difference, your concentration of salt is nill compared to beaches which is replenished twice a day by tides as rain and melting snow will wash rock salt away just as a hard rain washes a lot of salt out of the wet sand at beaches

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it washed is out but he quickly? Grass does not grow where salt was only weeds until it is treated, so i know the soil composition is changed.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I know it washed is out but he quickly? Grass does not grow where salt was only weeds until it is treated, so i know the soil composition is changed.

I would have to agree with Treasure-hunter on this one: The amount of salt that makes its way to waterways (lakes for example), in snowy regions for purposes of salting roadways (to make for safer driving), is negligable. Not enough to impact md'ing, to the extent that wet-salt affects ocean beaches..

For example: Lake Tahoe region salts (or used to anyhow) their main throughfairs arteries around the lake during the winter. And the environmentalists complained about this in years past. You know the song and dance, where does the salt end up, does it affect water quality and the fish, etc... blah blah blah. But truth is, if you went to taste the water in Lake Tahoe, you would have fresh water, not salt water. It's just too negligable the amount that makes it down to the beach and water's edge, from nearby roads. Thus I'd agree with treasure_hunter: No, this does not mean for md'rs to need a machine capable of handing wet-salt.

Oh, and by the way, people living on the shores of Lake tahoe (all the cabins there) do actually get their drinking water from Lake Tahoe! It's actually that clean! They have their draw pipes routed out to deeper water in front of each house/cabin, and it goes through minor in-line filtering, and is good to go :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand there is a difference in fresh water and saltwater beaches because of mineralization that is caused from the salt. Dos his mean that in areas where rock salt is used in the winter to de ice roads the mineralization along these roads and walkways can be altered effecting or detectors?
Gerry
Salt (sodium) is a metal so it will depend on how concentrated it is in a given area and if it's evenly distributed or in clumps.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gerry

No, you are confusing two separate types of "mineralization". When people talk about salt, they are talking about the feedback the detector gets from the salt in the water. When people talk about ground mineralization they are talking about the amount of iron or other conductive metals that make up the soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions