NEED ADVICE ON HUNTING BALL FIELDS FROM YOU MORE EXPERIENCED!!

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I have been hunting a local park for a few weeks that has been really productive for me. I'm pretty sure its virgin ground for detecting. I have pulled 2 barber dimes, 5 indian heads, 2 buffalos, 1 v nickel and a ton of wheats in one small area away from the playgrounds and ball fields when i'm by myself. I usually bring my daughter with me and hit the playgrounds while she plays and find a few pieces of junk jewelry. I decided today to try one of the ball fields and pulled up a 64 Washington right before I left. My question is when you hunt ball fields what spots do you usually find the good stuff lol? It's a baseball field... do you hunt around the bases, infield, outfield??? What works best for you guys usually? I also noticed another small field that people used as a volleyball course...

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Untitleds.jpg

the rest of the areas on occasion also produce.
Infields are usually pretty Baron.
I've found Stacked tokens cached at 2nd. Base
on one ball field.

the rest depends on the Shape of the Field,
whether there are Big Old trees for Shade,
Woods for whatever, & fences.

Extreem locations, Like Corners of Fenced in areas,
And edges of Properties are also good for me

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I have had my best results from searching dugouts on slow pitch fields...It seems that many men come straight from work and change in them...Art

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks guys, I finally was able to get in the ballfield today because almost every single day there has been football practice for the little kids on all football and baseball fields in the city lol I actually found the silver quarter in between 2nd and 3rd base.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 866640

the rest of the areas on occasion also produce.
Infields are usually pretty Baron.
I've found Stacked tokens cached at 2nd. Base
on one ball field.

the rest depends on the Shape of the Field,
whether there are Big Old trees for Shade,
Woods for whatever, & fences.

Extreem locations, Like Corners of Fenced in areas,
And edges of Properties are also good for me

That's awesome, thanks for the layout! I will be posting pics of any good finds for you guys. Like I said, this is a virgin park to the best of my knowledge and has given up some great finds so far...

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! Just make sure you don't leave a mark and leave roots attached to the ground by cutting a U shaped plug so the grass doesn't die. Brown spots will get you an invitation to leave the park.

A virgin park is a special find!

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always hit left field first. More balls are hit out there than right field. Start at the left field line at third base and go out and in till you get the whole outfield done. Then go to behind the backstop and prepare for more pulltabs and junk.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just take ur time move slow, my best áreas at the ball feilds were around fence posts,( cuz people throw there bags & whatever else at them) side lines where everyone sits, & any bit of shade on the feild is a must. Good luck

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I'm still scared to really hit the grass just for that reason. I found the quarter in the dirt of the infield...

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mreese1849 said:
Thanks guys, I'm still scared to really hit the grass just for that reason. I found the quarter in the dirt of the infield...

Believe it or not most caretakers of ball fields will be much more upset if they see you digging in the infield dirt rather than the grass areas.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find most going to the seating area and behind the seating area on either side of home plate. I haven't found much in the field but always look. The dugouts produce a few coins as well. If they have a concession stand i find a lot more.

Also try the gravel parking areas if they have them. Most often good for $1.50 or so

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For coins, I like the sidelines, dugouts, or anywhere people would sit/lay down. For jewelry, the bases, and just outside the infield about 10-20ft into the outfield grass is productive because of collisions between players that can knock things loose or break chains. I still would hunt the entire area but those spots for sure!

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For coins, I like the sidelines, dugouts, or anywhere people would sit/lay down. For jewelry, the bases, and just outside the infield about 10-20ft into the outfield grass is productive because of collisions between players that can knock things loose or break chains. I still would hunt the entire area but those spots for sure!

The jewelry is what I would like to find :thumbsup: The whole park in general is good for coins. One of my main goals is to find anything gold lol but I definitely can't complain when silver comes out...

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not most caretakers of ball fields will be much more upset if they see you digging in the infield dirt rather than the grass areas.

Haha I believe it. I just don't really have experience with the ballfields and saw the nice clean cut grass and got a little nervous. I may wait till late fall or early winter to give it a try once the kids have finished practicing.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find most going to the seating area and behind the seating area on either side of home plate. I haven't found much in the field but always look. The dugouts produce a few coins as well. If they have a concession stand i find a lot more.

Also try the gravel parking areas if they have them. Most often good for $1.50 or so

I will definitely give it a try... I went around there for a second the first time I came to the park and it was pop top hell lol

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will definitely give it a try... I went around there for a second the first time I came to the park and it was pop top hell lol[/QUOTE]

Now that you have the trash out of the way......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread