park
neighbors
Recreation areas
ball fields
churches
Fields
lake sides
hiking trails
Thats a few but always get permission if you're not off the beaten path.
Good luck.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
any place were people have been, the more people the more finds, things get lost by people.So just keep a look to where people meet, park there cars an ask a few older people that you know, were they use to hang out when they were young, old fair grounds, pinics areas etc.....

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
dont forget the beach if one is around you, or the local swimming hole.

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
;D Another good spot is the grass strip between the street and the sidewalk, people pulling the car keys out of there pocket will sometimes pull coins out too!
HH...John 8)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best place to start around your house is . . . around your house. You can take your time and not be interupted. I found a Mercury dime in my yard on one of the first days I was trying out my new detector.

You want to look where folks drop coins. Anyplace they might be buying things (fairs, picnics, concession stands, etc.). Reaching into their pocket or purse for keys (the edge of parking lots). Under trees (sitting down to rest). One of THE most productive spots I ever found was a split rail fence in a park between the vollyball courts and a basket ball court. Apparantly a lot of folks sit on it or toss their jackets over it. I found over $20 in clad, rings, a silver locket and chain . . . all within 40 feet along this fence.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For someone who is new to the hobby: Start in your yard, and dig everything! Get to know your detector. Then once you are good at pinpointing and have learned some of the ropes, broaden out to a beach or park (a place where there are a good many coin targets). Check the local laws on doing this first to make sure it is kosher.

Then you'll want to start talking to locals and asking friends' permission to hunt on their properties. Locals tell great stories. Find places that aren't there anymore, have been torn down, or have vanished from the landscape. Few people know about these, so they usually haven't been hunted before. Read newspaper articles from the turn of the century. Look for references to picnic groves, old churches, meeting places, and one-room school houses. Talk to the local Genealogical Society. Look at old maps of your area as far back as you can get them. Compare these with Google Earth or other satellite imaging software to find places that are long gone. Write all of your leads down (because you WILL forget them once you start getting tons of them!). Then find the property owners and ask permission to hunt!

Buckleboy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all good areas to start looking. Charles Garrett has a book called, Successful Coin Hunting It lists hundreds of places that you might not think of looking.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
;D
Where you find what you want to find! :D

No, OK seriously, there are many a little list:
Old battlefields
Military camps (old)
Old schools
(old) parks
the beach
old dirt roads might give up something
Any place where sports occur
Fishing places
Rivers
Old trails of any sort

Do research about your area!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In general you are looking for any place where people gather for an activity. If that activity involved money that is a real good place. The longer more often the area was used the better. No place is ever a place to never hunt unless you know the history, like new fill dirt that was sifted . Still someone might have crossed the area and dropped a new platinum bracelet, you never know.

Ed D.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I agree with Eu, Where to look depends alot upon what your lookin for, My son who just turned nineteen started treasure hunting with dear old dad when he was twelve and after the first two weeks of finding nothing but newer nickles and dimes he got bored with it. I thought he'd be happy with mking pocket money by just looking with a little electronic help, but after a little prodding he said he thought treasure hunting would be alot more indiana jones-ish. So I let him in on the secret to real treasur hunting, Shhh! 8) so here it is for you too.......
Research, Reaserch, Research... you can't over research. My son and I now spend many dark winter nights together now researching our coming summer hunts. we've uncovered things like a town fair that ran for an entire week for thirty years in our own home town during the early 1800s that ended after a spectacular death of a woman trapeze artist who fell whille performing at this fair while suspended 1000 ft up under a balloon. the original newspaper clips make it sound quite exciting as well as greusome. Together we pulled more than sixty coins from this one area and theres plenty more right in our own back yards. So what I'm trying to say is there MDing for alittle pocket change fun and then there's true treasure hunting which is far more time consumming, rewarding, and fun :D

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
This subject has been pretty well covered in the above posts . I like to detect around old abandoned house sites . Not sure if that was mentioned above or not .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
anywhere people have gathered in the past(older stuff),are gathering currently(new stuff), beaches and lakes where people swim (coins and jewelery), any old battle site areas, forts or ship wreak sites (make sure their legal to hunt areas),school playgrounds, parks ( matter of fact I found a nice silver charm type bracelet myself at a park not long ago since my 8 year old niece was with me she "begged me" out of it.) note where you go will affect what you find and whats more likely to be there ---not likely to find shipwreak gold --75 miles inland at a park --most likely pocket change maybe a bit of jewelery --- remember become a local history buff---these tales and stories often lead to finding great spots to look for stuff ---often "big" finds aren't "dumb luck" but instead are done by researching old maps and records for clues to the past good luck and good hunting - ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread