Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Feb 2007
    utah
    VLF TREASURE DETECTOR

Where are the best places to use a metal detector. Please leave reply

Hi, I'm 15 and I just started my hobby. I was wandering where are the best places around my house that I should look. Just say places that you like to use your detector.

Jan 2007
    NH
    E-Trac

Re: Where are the best places to use a metal detector. Please leave reply

Around your house
    school
    park
    neighbors
    Recreation areas
    ball fields
    churches
    Fields
    lake sides
    hiking trails
    Thats a few but always get permission if you're not off the beaten path.
    Good luck.
    Do what you like & like what you do.

May 2006
    fl

any place were people have been, the more people the more finds, things get lost by people.So just keep a look to where people meet, park there cars an ask a few older people that you know, were they use to hang out when they were young, old fair grounds, pinics areas etc.....
    sov. elite,,,,PI PRO

Mar 2005
    Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
    11 times

dont forget the beach if one is around you, or the local swimming hole.
    GTI 2500/ACE 250

Feb 2007
    Colorado
    Whites IDX Pro
    6 times

Another good spot is the grass strip between the street and the sidewalk, people pulling the car keys out of there pocket will sometimes pull coins out too!
    HH...John 8)

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    '72 RS Kit/Musketeer Advantage with 8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se with 11" DD & 6.5" concentric coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe/Black Widows/Rattler/F-Point/Merlin SXL Pinpointers
    482 times
    Metal Detecting

The best place to start around your house is . . . around your house. You can take your time and not be interupted. I found a Mercury dime in my yard on one of the first days I was trying out my new detector.

You want to look where folks drop coins. Anyplace they might be buying things (fairs, picnics, concession stands, etc.). Reaching into their pocket or purse for keys (the edge of parking lots). Under trees (sitting down to rest). One of THE most productive spots I ever found was a split rail fence in a park between the vollyball courts and a basket ball court. Apparantly a lot of folks sit on it or toss their jackets over it. I found over $20 in clad, rings, a silver locket and chain . . . all within 40 feet along this fence.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ÁMax
    1855 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

For someone who is new to the hobby: Start in your yard, and dig everything! Get to know your detector. Then once you are good at pinpointing and have learned some of the ropes, broaden out to a beach or park (a place where there are a good many coin targets). Check the local laws on doing this first to make sure it is kosher.

Then you'll want to start talking to locals and asking friends' permission to hunt on their properties. Locals tell great stories. Find places that aren't there anymore, have been torn down, or have vanished from the landscape. Few people know about these, so they usually haven't been hunted before. Read newspaper articles from the turn of the century. Look for references to picnic groves, old churches, meeting places, and one-room school houses. Talk to the local Genealogical Society. Look at old maps of your area as far back as you can get them. Compare these with Google Earth or other satellite imaging software to find places that are long gone. Write all of your leads down (because you WILL forget them once you start getting tons of them!). Then find the property owners and ask permission to hunt!

Buckleboy
    2014 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    181? Cut Quarter of an 8 Reales
    1829 Cap and Rays 1 Real
    1876-S Seated Quarter
    Five Seated Half Dimes: Two 1840-O Half Dimes, 1842-O, 1848-O and 1857
    1876-CC, 1876-S, Two 1887 and an 1888 Seated Dimes
    U.S.S. New Orleans Silver Pendant (1890s)
    185? Large Cent
    1840s Convex Eagle Militia Button
    CW Eagle "I" Button
    CW Era "snake" Sword Hanger
    Blacksmith-Forged Picket Pin
    1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    1943, 1954, and 1963-D Quarters
    1902-O Barber Dime
    1945 and 1945-S Mercury Dimes
    1864-L Indian Head Cent
    1866 and a Dateless Shield Nickel
    Assorted Civil War Bullets and Musketballs
    Plantation Tokens
    Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Buffaloes, and GawGag
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1931 times

These are all good areas to start looking. Charles Garrett has a book called, Successful Coin Hunting It lists hundreds of places that you might not think of looking.

Good Luck,
    Sandman
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    236 times

Where you find what you want to find!

No, OK seriously, there are many a little list:
    Old battlefields
    Military camps (old)
    Old schools
    (old) parks
    the beach
    old dirt roads might give up something
    Any place where sports occur
    Fishing places
    Rivers
    Old trails of any sort

Do research about your area!
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

Jan 2005
    burlington new jersey
    minelad excal whites spectrum whitexlt
    10 times

schools , parks etc, etc,

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2004
    Hurlock, Maryland
    XP Deus, CTX-3030, Excalibur II
    20 times

In general you are looking for any place where people gather for an activity. If that activity involved money that is a real good place. The longer more often the area was used the better. No place is ever a place to never hunt unless you know the history, like new fill dirt that was sifted . Still someone might have crossed the area and dropped a new platinum bracelet, you never know.

Ed D.
    Keep detecting, Keep finding, Keep digging!

Ed Donovan

um
    Feb 2007
    Please don't yell !
    1 times

I agree with Eu, Where to look depends alot upon what your lookin for, My son who just turned nineteen started treasure hunting with dear old dad when he was twelve and after the first two weeks of finding nothing but newer nickles and dimes he got bored with it. I thought he'd be happy with mking pocket money by just looking with a little electronic help, but after a little prodding he said he thought treasure hunting would be alot more indiana jones-ish. So I let him in on the secret to real treasur hunting, Shhh! 8) so here it is for you too.......
    Research, Reaserch, Research... you can't over research. My son and I now spend many dark winter nights together now researching our coming summer hunts. we've uncovered things like a town fair that ran for an entire week for thirty years in our own home town during the early 1800s that ended after a spectacular death of a woman trapeze artist who fell whille performing at this fair while suspended 1000 ft up under a balloon. the original newspaper clips make it sound quite exciting as well as greusome. Together we pulled more than sixty coins from this one area and theres plenty more right in our own back yards. So what I'm trying to say is there MDing for alittle pocket change fun and then there's true treasure hunting which is far more time consumming, rewarding, and fun
    http://www.thegoldenolde.com

Dec 2006
    West Virginia
    TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
    4 times

This subject has been pretty well covered in the above posts . I like to detect around old abandoned house sites . Not sure if that was mentioned above or not .

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    697 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

anywhere people have gathered in the past(older stuff),are gathering currently(new stuff), beaches and lakes where people swim (coins and jewelery), any old battle site areas, forts or ship wreak sites (make sure their legal to hunt areas),school playgrounds, parks ( matter of fact I found a nice silver charm type bracelet myself at a park not long ago since my 8 year old niece was with me she "begged me" out of it.) note where you go will affect what you find and whats more likely to be there ---not likely to find shipwreak gold --75 miles inland at a park --most likely pocket change maybe a bit of jewelery --- remember become a local history buff---these tales and stories often lead to finding great spots to look for stuff ---often "big" finds aren't "dumb luck" but instead are done by researching old maps and records for clues to the past good luck and good hunting - ivan

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors