What would you recommend ?...

Ignorance Denied

Aug 20, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I used to do a bit of metal detecting as a kid on Carolina Beach with my dad, some years ago.
It was fun, and we found some things sometimes.

But lately I have been considering getting a real detector or two. You see, I live in an area of widescape that provides a whole lotta detecting opportunity.

So I want to ask the pro's and amature's here of their recommendations and why.

I am going to be getting something sometime during this winter, and by next spring put to use.

Bias:

1 - One or two detectors, by purpose or type of detecting.
2 - Assume price is no object, but I know full well most expensive is not always the best choice.
3 - I will be desiring to hunt gold, coin (any), and maybe artifacts.
4 - Quality and service of detector.
5 - I live out west, so I doubt I will be beachcombing.

I know there are probably a few threads here about this same subject, but I wanted to personalize a thread just for me, as I will be the one spending the money.

I look forward to your opinions.

-Mark-

Upvote 0

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wanted to drop in and say HI! I imagine that Utah is going to be awesome for detecting! So much history in general and mining history in particular. Not to mention all the folks going there to recreate and dropping things out of their pockets. I bet you are going to do very well with your new detector, whatever it is!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can't tell you which one would suit you, only you can do that. Suggest you visit the manufacturers websites and read all about the ones in your price range. It would be best if you could visit a detector shop to handle them and decide.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best advice is: don't seek advice, SEEK KNOWLEDGE! Advice from others about the "best" detector for you is usually based on THEIR detectors and likes and dislikes. While mostly well intentioned it is not always what is best for you.
Once you decide what type of detecting you will do land only, water only, or combination that narrows the field of detectors. Decide how much you are willing to spend. That narrows the field further.
Pick a short list of one or two possible candidates from each manufacturer. NOW LEARN ABOUT EACH FEATURE THOSE DETECTORS PROVIDE. Detectors have many different features, once you learn them, then, YOU can make an informed decision based on YOUR needs not someone elses.

Pay particular attention to coils as they are crucial to the detectors function and one of the most expensive to replace or upgrade. Also the ability to ground balance or adjust to the soil conditions.

"Advice" from others about the "BEST" metal detector is usually free and you always get what you pay for in that regerd. You are your own best advisor with the proper KNOWLEDGE.

GOOD LUCK with your choice.

OP
OP
Ignorance Denied

Ignorance Denied

Aug 20, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We can't tell you which one would suit you, only you can do that. Suggest you visit the manufacturers websites and read all about the ones in your price range. It would be best if you could visit a detector shop to handle them and decide.

My best advice is: don't seek advice, SEEK KNOWLEDGE! Advice from others about the "best" detector for you is usually based on THEIR detectors and likes and dislikes. While mostly well intentioned it is not always what is best for you.
Once you decide what type of detecting you will do land only, water only, or combination that narrows the field of detectors. Decide how much you are willing to spend. That narrows the field further.
Pick a short list of one or two possible candidates from each manufacturer. NOW LEARN ABOUT EACH FEATURE THOSE DETECTORS PROVIDE. Detectors have many different features, once you learn them, then, YOU can make an informed decision based on YOUR needs not someone elses.

Pay particular attention to coils as they are crucial to the detectors function and one of the most expensive to replace or upgrade. Also the ability to ground balance or adjust to the soil conditions.

"Advice" from others about the "BEST" metal detector is usually free and you always get what you pay for in that regerd. You are your own best advisor with the proper KNOWLEDGE.

GOOD LUCK with your choice.

Thank you. I do agree.

I have been browsing the OEM sites, and no, I havent yet gone into a shop to hand-test some units yet.

Problem is, obviously the OEM sites are biased toward their own products. I dont fault them for that. But in the sea of product nowadaya, it very easily gets very confusing for someone not necessarily experienced on what is available today.

But I am on the learning curve and I have been doing alot of study on the subject, so I am (albiet slowly) getting a grasp on what appeals to me.

I am highly techical oriented, and quite a bit OCD, so whatever I end up with I will work to the best of its abilities.

But I dont want to be stuck with something I regret or wont enjoy.

That is the hope of this thread, to maybe ask for some insight to help me in my decision.

I guess I wasnt asking for purchase advise. I wouldnt put that on you.
But I am asking for inputs on what you like and why. Maybe to help bias my decisions.
(based on my first post data)

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! A lot depends on what your targets are. You mentioned gold -if you are going after small nuggets, you would be better suited to look at gold detectors (Garrett AT Gold, Fisher GB, Garrett ATX). If it's gold jewelry, most detectors will still find jewelry well.

For versatility and with price no object, you might consider the Whites V3I which has a prospecting mode. You mentioned being technically oriented, and the V3I has a ton of customization that you can do to it.

If you are buying a couple of detectors, you might throw the Minelab E-Trac or CTX 3030 in the mix. They are really good machines in iron and mineralized soil.

Good luck on your search!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ignorance Denied

Ignorance Denied

Aug 20, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I did do alot of reading on the V3I and E-Trac, as well as others of course.

I do like the versatility of the V3I.

On the Whites OEM website they went into great detail about the number of frequencies that they send out and about how many other OEM's promote many more frequencies but they stated that they are harmonics that are sent and irrelivent to what is recieved. Has anyone come to the same conclusions in their exposure to other brands?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given your bias and open check book, I would choose the Minelab GPX5000 and the CTX3030. Those would cover everything but deep water hunts.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX 3030 or Etrac for mineralized soil.

OP
OP
Ignorance Denied

Ignorance Denied

Aug 20, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
At this early point, the one who has taken my interest is the CTX-3030. Plus I have seen some nice bundles out there.

This based on reading on all the models suggested so far, watching some youtube vids, and reading around other sites and forums.

It seems (at this point) that the CTX-3030 offers alot of diversity and flexability, at a reasonable cost in comparison.

Still looking for plenty more feedback and opinions. :thumbsup:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long Winded Approach

Greetings Ignorance Denied,

As you already know you are attempting a difficult decision though your pragmatic approach will serve you well. I am surprised that one obvious suggestion has not as of yet been put on the table, attend meetings at a local detector club. As I suspect you understand every user tends to promote the brand/model they own when it has served them well and this will be true here on Tnet as well as at any club you might attend.

It is good that you are "I am highly techical oriented, and quite a bit OCD, so whatever I end up with I will work to the best of its abilities" and you are correct as these attributes will be of benefit to you though, as you know, the OCD can drive you nuts with some things and detecting is one of them. I would say you will be better served with one of the higher end machines due to who you are. I suspect you are aware that for "prospecting" you are better served with either a VLF machine or a Pi machine. There are a few dual purpose machines that work fairly well, they find both raw gold as well as coins/relics/jewelry though I believe the more expert types indicate they prefer a pure prospecting machine for prospecting and a dedicated coin/jewelry/relic machine for that arena.

I noted an interesting article on here this morning in Metal Detecting something like "My AT Pro owned by Minelab". An AT Pro owner encountered a Minelab owner on a beach, they talked and the Minelab owner invited the AT Pro owner to join him. The Minelab trounced the AT Pro in depth and target identification. Not that the AT Pro is bad machine, it was just outclassed by the abilities of the model Minelab it was competing against. It comes to mind that there are at least three folks on Tnet that it would be helpful for you to PM: Steve Herschbach, Terry Soloman, "Lanny" and "Gentleman" Jim Hemingway and as you can tell I realized another seasoned veteran of high repute to add to the list. All of these fellows can be found in the Prospsecting for Gold under Metal Detecting area. Steve's last post is about five or six down from the top and his name will be off to the right. Lanny & Jim will be found in "Bedrock and Gold, The Mysteries" blog of Lannys and Terry is at times a bit harder to find on here so try:
Metal Detecting, Gold prospecting, Treasure Hunting or [email protected]. Now all of these chaps are into prospecting in a big way however they do dabble with coins and such trivia from time to time, especially Terry. Terry you will find is a proponent of Tessoro products however he owns a Minelab GPX5000 and likely has the arm muscles to prove it.

Me, I'm a White's chap though, back in the day, originally I built a few detector projects from electronics magazines and I have owned one of the original Gold Bug's (like the BG 1). Then I found a White's 6000D and I was indeed hooked. It was stolen so I purchased an XLT and about that time my life changed so it has seen a lot of closet time. I am Not skilled with its use but I have found coins with it along with lots of trash and that is typical for any in city detecting. I backpack as much as possible every summer and if I could find a 9 month position 'working' and have 3 summer months off to backpack I would take that job though, preferably it would be in the Medical Device Catheter field. And the backpacking brought me into Gold Country so I dabbled with panning and regularly found a few flakes. After one particular panning incident I purchased a 2" "Portable Suction Dredge" and brought it and its sundry attachments as well as my general backpacking gear or about 200 lbs of stuff into the canyon's I am prone to hiking. Then I finally purchased a White's GMT and did not really pay enough attention to my learning curve so it took me awhile to place the coil over gold but I did. I now believe in that particular tool although it does have short comings just as all machines and humans do so I'm toying with the idea of a PI machine. I am only looking right now and I'd hoped the new Garret machine would Require other companies to come out with their Upgraded model but I suspect this will not happen though it is far too early to tell.

Anyway, I've done my usual long winded approach to an answer and I hope you will be able to dig through it and come up with something useful. We, all of us here at Tnet, extend our greetings to you as more or less a new member and would SO appreciate your including us in on your search and what you come up with as far as a machine('s) and of course please show us some of your targets and share with us your experiences 'Out There'!
Regards...........................63bkpkr
181_8162.JPG Prospecting my way.

185_8515.JPG Results.

184_8445_r1.jpg Typical location type for myself, I like water!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ignorance Denied

Ignorance Denied

Aug 20, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
63bkpkr,

Not long winded,... winded just enough in my opinion.

Just for fyi, the reason I listed gold as well as coins is primarily die to my location. I am within a few hundred miles of everything. I can do a day trip and checkout old mines and homesteads. I can do parks and fields and yards too. I have access to a ranch in wyoming that I dont think has ever been searched, has a few old homesteads still standing from as far back as the early 1800's, and has been a one family plot for many generations to before Wyoming was even a state. Plus I like to hike and explore new area's. I may not be an old pro at prospecting, let alone coin digging. Which is this purpose of this thread. It may help prevent me having buyers remourse on a machine that isnt well suited for me. Of course everyones input is highly subjective, but with enough data and subjective opinions and considerable reading and researching on my part, I out to be able to come up with a reasonable consensus for when it comes buying-time. And I have time, snow has already been spotted in the mountains and my season is very fast coming to an end.

I read that thread too: "My AT Pro owned by Minelab" - enlightening for sure.

I have thus far compiled a (incomlete), list I am sure. I dont think the GTX5000 will make it to the list. Yes, I dont want to be hauling it around for long times as heavy as it is, and I dont think it is useful unless you have an absalute rich location that wont disappoint. (in regards to ROI, the price is up there). But from Minelab, the 3030 would be more useful. I am still reading and finding more information though, as this will be likely a Christmas present to me from me. The Whites v3i is also on my list.

And I most certainly would love to hear from more MD users. I have enjoyed every post and appreciate it.

And thank you for the warm welcome 63bkpkr.

-Mark-

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Bart at BigBoysHobbies.net He will give advice on what you best suits you and give you the best package deal. His service is 2nd to none

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Gold Bug 2 would be a good alternative for a gold machine. They're relatively cheap, light, and are still finding gold by amateurs and professionals.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Don't just make your decision on price thinking the higher price detector = the best detector.
Putting myself in your shoes living in Utah I'd look and research the AT Gold ($675), ATX ($2100), CTX 3030 ($2500), Tejon ($595).

I liked my Explorer SE, but didn't like the E-Trac. Not saying it's a bad machine, just not for me. I don't know enough about Whites to comment.

Personally with what I've seen and read for an expensive machine the Garrett ATX has caught my eye more than the others. But it's new so the consumer hasn't really given any input yet.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning ID,
I forgot to mention that at the bottom of it Steve's post he has hot links to various subjects, one is his take on various detectors. Recently Terry also put up a list of various detectors that he feels are useful for various purposes. So both gentlemen compare machines other than their favorites/generally what they use. When you get out to where raw gold 'could be' you might be better served with a small sifter, shovel and gold pan to confirm that there is gold in the area and then if you find enough panning and you are still curious then you could purchase a detector. That is basically what I did. Learning to read a river will put you into the most likely spots where "Lazy Gold" will drop out and it does! If you purchase a dual purpose machine that will handle the mineralization usually present in gold country then you are set. Recalling of course that a dual purpose machine is not likely to pick up the smaller gold that is so common along the sides of a river, the larger gold is at the bottom of the river at least that is usually where the larger gold is.......................63bkpkr

Another thing I did not cover -coils. You DO want a machine that offers a good selection of coil sizes and types as they make a difference and can make it seem like you've an entirely different machine. Just one more decision to make but, that is what finding a detector to purchase is like, decisions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ignorance Denied

Ignorance Denied

Aug 20, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thank you 63...

I am starting to narrow down my wish list.

I think I know what I want, but I wish to review everyone's replies first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread