Recommendation from the Experienced MDs Sought

D

DeepThought

ok...I've narrowed my choice between two MDs & wanted to ask the veterans a couple of questions, to avoid paralysis by analysis. These are the Whites MXT and the Tesoro Outlaw. I'd appreciate your thoughts:

1 - Is the MXT still a relevant design, when compared to the newer MDs? It's been around for some time & I wouldn't want to invest in something about to be phased out.

2 - I started on a tracker iv and have gotten good at listening to the analog signal quality, but it's not a deep machine. The Outlaw fits the bill for an analog machine upgrade, but I'd like to try a VDI machine. Mostly because - and limited to - the MXT, because of all the good reviews I read. I currently do C&J but am starting to look at relics, now.

3 - for the MXT user, does the weight become a problem? That is the only other concern I have. My Trkr IV may not go deep, but it's light and I can swing it all day.

Please share your thoughts on this and any other related items you may have.

Thanks,
DT

Upvote 0

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DT, You can't go wrong with a Tesoro but for coin and Jewelry, the MXT is the way to go. The MXT's technology is far newer than the Tesoro Outlaw. For most folks, the weight of the MXT is not a factor. Thousands of people swing their MXT's without problem. I don't know your physical condition or limitations so It's possible that the MXT may be heavy to you. For Coins and Jewelry I'd recommend The MXT Pro for its Tone ID. I think the MXT Pro is a step above the Outlaw for Relics also.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Can't say anything about the MXT, but I love my Outlaw. 3 coils with 3 lower shafts and coil covers included is amazing. Outstanding disc, pinpointing & super light . Tesoro's imo are the best bang for the buck out there.
I used my Explorer SE lots over the last 5+ years as well as my GTI 2500 (#2 machine) and would take my Outlaw over them any day.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have an MXT Pro, as well as a Tesoro and a few others.

If you are stuck on getting a VDI machine there is nothing wrong with the MXT.

I urge people to stop looking at the meter and listen to the sounds of your machine, but I understand the fixation.

My favorite machine is an XLT, so the VDI is a part of the experience.

When I got the MXT, I was thinking that it is great to just have a knob to turn when I want to quickly adjust something.

True enough, but I never accidently bump a knob on my XLT when hunting, since it doesn't have any.

To each their own.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm heavily into Tesoros, but I also have an MXT that I've used a good deal. Depth, sensitivity, accuracy plus vesatility due to the three modes and the different coils available make the MXT (or MXT Pro) a very good choice in my opinion. However, I'm one that does find the weight a factor and that's my one dislike on the MXT. I may try one of the swingy thingy devices one of these days as I'm getting up in years and the weight takes away some of the fun factor for me. I don't notice it with my Tesoros so now days I'm more likely to grab one of them.
luvsdux

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

Beerguy - I'll be candid: I see the Tesoro is cheaper, lighter, has 3 of the coils I can use (unlike the standard MXT Pro) and short of the VDI text display, performs as well. I've gotten so used to judging targets by their sound I don't think I would miss anything with the Outlaw (THOUGH it would be nice for more than one tone). I keep coming back to the MXT because so many people out there keep raving about them. It makes me wonder - it's kind of like when someone goes on vacation to a foreign country and spends two weeks on the toilet...then they rave about what a good time it was and why I need to go.

It would be nice to hear from the folks who commented in http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/321174-metal-detectors-standards-snake-oil.html

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DeepThought said:
Beerguy - I'll be candid: I see the Tesoro is cheaper, lighter, has 3 of the coils I can use (unlike the standard MXT Pro) and short of the VDI text display, performs as well. I've gotten so used to judging targets by their sound I don't think I would miss anything with the Outlaw (THOUGH it would be nice for more than one tone). I keep coming back to the MXT because so many people out there keep raving about them. It makes me wonder - it's kind of like when someone goes on vacation to a foreign country and spends two weeks on the toilet...then they rave about what a good time it was and why I need to go.

It would be nice to hear from the folks who commented in http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/321174-metal-detectors-standards-snake-oil.html

Hi DeepThought, how do you tell a target by its sound if the detector only has one tone? Thanks!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from a tracker 4 to a vaquero. I used it for a year and a half constantly reading how good it was but never liked it at all. One tone was the problem for me. They may have a lifetime warranty but a satisfaction guaranty and I would have gotten my money back.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi DeepThought, how do you tell a target by its sound if the detector only has one tone? Thanks!
The term single tone is a misnomer,that single tone has a Vast amount of information in it once you learn it .
Some of my detectors have many tones... but i switch back to a single tone over, say a pulltab to see if it might be a good target... tab will be scratchy a good target won`t.
All most all of the early machines were single tone...and BFO machine only ticked.
Gary

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to be confused by threads commenting on the nuances of single tone detectors. Then, I finally got enough hours in and began to recognize them myself. Many times the variation is slight and while I can hear it on my detector, there's no way that I could simply describe it so that another person could hear it. It helps to thumb the discrimination back and forth over different targets to hear the crackle and scratch in the sound as the discriminated target drops out, then swing over a quarter or other solid target and note what the better target sounds like. The real trick though is to use your detector till you know it as well as the back of your hand.
luvsdux

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I have an MXT Pro, as well as a Tesoro and a few others.

If you are stuck on getting a VDI machine there is nothing wrong with the MXT.

I urge people to stop looking at the meter and listen to the sounds of your machine, but I understand the fixation.

My favorite machine is an XLT, so the VDI is a part of the experience.

When I got the MXT, I was thinking that it is great to just have a knob to turn when I want to quickly adjust something.

True enough, but I never accidently bump a knob on my XLT when hunting, since it doesn't have any.

To each their own.

The XLT is the only Whites machine I've ever used and I really liked it.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
unless you're going to hunt nuggets,look at a quattro(model previous to safari)although it has a slow recovery speed it is easy to use,good target info and deep.killer at the beach (wet or dry sand).i've seen them as low as $350.you can't go wrong.

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

I don't know about you but I thumb my discrimination, then make an educated guess based upon tonal quality, ringing, etc. More experience with the MD than by rocket science. Occasionally I will also check it again in tone mode (plural). My point was the Outlaw has only one tone. But you know all this...you are the experienced MD here

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,

I will agree that the Tesoro package is very good.

I got the MXT due to the 3 modes of search, and also because my XLT is not very good on the beach. The MXT has an aggressive GEB circuit, and that is useful to me when I get on a saltwater beach.

If I was only searching in areas of low mineralization, I would say the Outlaw package is hard to beat. Especially since you are used to a non-TID machine.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
The term single tone is a misnomer,that single tone has a Vast amount of information in it once you learn it .
Some of my detectors have many tones... but i switch back to a single tone over, say a pulltab to see if it might be a good target... tab will be scratchy a good target won`t.
All most all of the early machines were single tone...and BFO machine only ticked.
Gary

You got that right. My XLT has a very distinct sound over gold, silver is different yet, and you can just hear junk targets get scratchy at the edges.

This all depends on the program, but people really have to use a machine for a year or more before these distinctions becoma apparent, IMHO.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to choose between those two models, it would be the MXT. Weight can be overcome with slings if need be.

mouseman

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2013
I have an mxt pro, I'm 60 yrs old I don't think about weight I think about finding treasure. I don't know about the other metal detectors but, the mxt pro does great for what you want to use it for, and the mxt pro has many coils you can buy. Myself I like what I bought. Remember metal detecting is work, and a light metal detector don't make it any easier. There's a 1000 metal detector's out there your choice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread