You guys ever just get frustrated and dig every single thing?

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an old park near me (well it's been a park since the 20s), but it's been hunted to death since the rest of the parks are new. I found one wheat penny and a 30s canadian penny, but nothing else but clad. There's a lot of trash though.

I'm thinking about picking a 20x20 area or so and just digging every single thing that makes even the slightest beep, just to see if I can find anything worthwhile.

Is that a waste of time? Do you guys do that? I always see these videos on Youtube where people find silver in parks, even in my own state, but I can never seem to find any in them so I'm getting desperate.

Upvote 0

rabbid-digger

Jul 1, 2013
fennville,MI
Detector(s) used
garret atpro
propointer
sampson 18" digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have u tried hitting the far edges and hard to get to areas? Just an idea, have fun.

HH josh

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you kind of said it...it may have just been hunted out, it happens. There's only so much going to be in the ground. Its not like there's a never ending supply just waiting for you to come along with your machine tweaked just right, the planets are in proper alignment, the moon is full and you have your lucky underwear on and all the silver coins finally show themselves only to you. If that would work I'd have my kissy lips boxers on right now and digging away at the local park. I think now would be a good time for you to check around your area for private land, do some serious research looking for old property, go knock on some doors and see what comes. No is just a word it only stings for a second.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if it is one of the parks in oakland county, odds are its been at the very least cherry picked clean, atleast of the easy silver, I know since I spent 8-10 hours a day cleaning them from 1982 thru the mid 90's, however I know of a few places that are still really good to me, and yes, dig everything, so much masking effect its crazy.
you could always message me and tell me the name of the park, and no I wont run right over and start searching, though a hunting buddy would be nice.

Mike

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted out places are usually not hunted out, the good targets are just harder to find. Of course I believe that good things will happen to those who try.

Your thought is a good one 20 x 20 piece of ground but pick it wisely, either some out of the way spot, one under or close to tree shade or some other possible logical choice of a spot like a place that used to really give up the good stuff.

Then again how well do you know your machine? I do not know mine half as well as I need to know them so maybe some extra work over a test garden would be some help to understand some new setting conditions for your machine. Do you use headphones, they help to sniff out targets. What size coils do you have and is a snooper coil among your choices? What I'm suggesting is that before you go out to tackle that 20 x 20 section, you consider what things you can do that will give you better odds of finding "the good Targets"! Go Get Um...........................63bkpkr

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often feel that frustration mr. helton! Most of my public parks seem to be picked nearly clean also. I recently thought I found an undetected public area, only to find out it had been visited before. It is also heavily trashed, but, thankfully my detector separates the good from the trash well, and I was able to get some GREAT finds, including some silver, and a great ring. Unfortunately finding silver is more and more difficult, it's not an infinite resource.

When I feel that frustration from a dry spell in good finds, I go to the playgrounds and ball fields where the supply of finds is replenished, although mostly clad, you will find the occasional gold ring or jewelry that really makes it worth while. Sometimes digging something of value, even if only clad coins, reinvigorates you!

Searching for that undetected site, is something I constantly work at. They are out there, but it is also like trying to find that last piece of silver in a picked out, trashy site. As to diggiing every signal, it can't hurt, you may find some good relics. If nothing else you will end up with arms like Popeye, eat your spinach before heading out.
GOOD LUCK, your next find may be the big one!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quick story , A school house site hunted a very long time was always a let down until a last ditch effort to get one more coin find .

:icon_scratch:with the help of a chainsaw I removed a large fallen tree branch and dug the nicest 1805 large cent I could have ever hoped for .

Nothing found since after many attempts '

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mr. helton, I find it hard to believe that in the state of Michigan, that you can't find more productive parks that give up easier silver than that. Either you are un-willing to travel around to sample other places, or you're just not proficient at picking out deep high conductors from turf.

As far as "just this one park", yes I can envision parks that are "no longer worth it". There are parts of my state (for instance) that got heavy pressure back in the 1970s/80s ("silver rush" era) that are now nothing but a junky blighted mess, and simply not fun to work anymore. Yet there are other parts of the state that saw less pressure, and we can still reliably go to, to get deeper silver from them.

As for the tactic of strip-mining to get deeper or masked things, you're welcome to try that. But if it were me, that would simply be a park that I would pass on. I mean .... seriously now .... do you really think you are going to strip-mine a turfed park, and not raise the ire of some busy-body gardener ?

I recall a fellow, who had gotten scores of silver coins from an old park, back in the very early 1980s. At a certain point, he began to wonder how many nickels, or gold rings, or masked higher conductors he'd been missing. So he gridded off a certain zone (which had been particularly nice to him in earlier years). He "made it his mission" to dig "every last target", assuming that there MUST be nickels he'd been passing, or targets deeper than his disc. allowed (or masked, etc...). And for a year, he dug every single signal. He kept copius records and charts. He'd go a few times per week, after work, and dig out another 30 to 50 targets, keeping accurate counts/records. By the time it was done, yes, he had a "few deeper silver", and a "few dateless orange cruddy V nickels and bufallos". But his conclusion was that it was simply not worth it. he had HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of junk items. And he felt that a) if gold jewelry were his goal, he was simply better off heading to the nearest swimming beach, and b) that the dateless orange/brown cruddy nickels also weren't worth it.

But it would depend on the park, and how deep, etc... Obviously Michigan can have parks that way pre-date CA parks.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really good point, and you're spot on with my lack of travelling. It's not that I'm unwilling to travel, just that I haven't yet. The only day I'm able to travel is Saturday and I think I may start doing that now. As it is I work 35 miles away so that's a good start.

rabbid-digger

Jul 1, 2013
fennville,MI
Detector(s) used
garret atpro
propointer
sampson 18" digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What part of michigan r u from IM in sw michigan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an old park near me (well it's been a park since the 20s), but it's been hunted to death since the rest of the parks are new. I found one wheat penny and a 30s canadian penny, but nothing else but clad. There's a lot of trash though.

I'm thinking about picking a 20x20 area or so and just digging every single thing that makes even the slightest beep, just to see if I can find anything worthwhile.

Is that a waste of time? Do you guys do that? I always see these videos on Youtube where people find silver in parks, even in my own state, but I can never seem to find any in them so I'm getting desperate.
I'd give it a try to see what has been missed but I would start with a smaller area.....maybe 10X10.... as a test. A couple of those in likely good spots will give you an idea if the rest of the place is worthwhile to mine.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried digging every signal in what was a very over hunted park. I dug tons of trash that others either passed over or left in the ground. Coin wise I plucked maybe 90 cents in clad and pennies. I did find a gold ring that fetched me $67 so it was worth it but lots of digging and lots of work. I will go back but not until I get bored going to few other places

It's more tempting to cherry pick but if that's all you do all you get is clad unless your lucky and hit some silver.

JWD

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2013
COLFAX NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Waiting on AT Pro.. $
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I have been going to an abandoned motel that was built in the 30's right in the middle of town, we have pulled our 13 silvers and around $15 in clad, thought we emptied it out until it rained last week, we went back and pulled out 3 more silvers that we had looked over in a 10x10 flower bed, he has a etrac and I have garret, just shows little climate conditions can make the differences in finding or going right over it, always fun to dig different signals, nvr know what's there...

Lefty

Sep 13, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, ACE 350, Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the opposite for me at parks. I usually start digging everything and get a bunch of trash and I'm limited to time so I switch to dimes/quarters only setting so I at least feel better about getting some coins. I'm new and after I got my MD, I notice at least 2 other guys hitting the same park as me so I went where they were not and found 2 silver quarters over time.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted in a couple parks that get hit heavy. Iw as taken there by someone who has been detecting for years. We did find stuff but didnt fill our finds bag. I was told to set ground balance and keep my detector the same sensativity as normal and if i didnt find anything readjust my settings. We had a good day outside and some nice finds. I was also told that even if its been hunted heavily people still use it and lose things daily.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=2]"You guys ever just get frustrated and dig every single thing?"[/h]Yes, there have been times when I got frustrated and began digging every single thing. That's when I discovered what real frustration was all about. :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll dig every target when I get a new detector so I know what it's telling me. I do it at the beach however, more and easier recoveries, and it keeps my local park from looking like a mine field!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I start off digging everything and as the day goes on, I get more selective. Frank... hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No! My White's XLT will pull coins out of a carpet of trash. Last week I got over excited and dug 5-6 pieces of trash for each coin, but I later regretted it. I will usually dig 1 good target for every 2-3 holes. I don't worry what I miss, I'm only concerned with what I find. Good luck, but above all have fun! H Digs!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread