Can you help me pick a new Tesoro?

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sabre II is gettin' a little long in the Sabre tooth. I love my Silver Sabre II, but I just sold my only other machine (Minelab) and need a new primary or back-up. I primarily hunt for coins and relics in Non-motion/All Metal and reverse discriminate on certain targets. I like to hear those faint deep signals that DISC mode can miss. I've narrowed it down to the Outlaw, the Lobo, and the Tejon.

The Outlaw worries me because of the single 9-volt battery. I doubt its power, though its features seem perfect for me.
The Lobo is a motion machine, but seems to have a reputation for impressive depth and I like its configuration.
The Tejon is designed for relic hunting and, if I heard right, the DISC knob can be clicked to the left, putting the machine in a non-motion/all metal setting.
Which one will pull the deepest Minnie?

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live down the street from Kellyco and have been doing business with them for many years.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejon is an awesome machine for what you're wanting and very deep. Dual disc is great to be able to set lower one in AM and upper disc wherever you like. The quick flip of the toggle switch allows you to check target without thumbing a knob. Pinpoint is also on same toggle switch and as all Tesoro are it's spot on! Cannot comment on the Outlaw since I've never use one. Tejon uses 8 AA batteries so use just slightly heavier than Outlaw, but still very light compared to the ML you sold.

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I love my Outlaw and don't worry about the single 9 volt battery as it's all it needs. 3 coils, shafts and coil covers included is really great and was a factor in my decision. I'm also looking at getting a Tejon maybe next year.
Super light and I could swing it for hours on end.
The Tejon is a deeper machine but the Outlaw is no slouch either.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Sabre II is gettin' a little long in the Sabre tooth. I love my Silver Sabre II, but I just sold my only other machine (Minelab) and need a new primary or back-up. I primarily hunt for coins and relics in Non-motion/All Metal and reverse discriminate on certain targets. I like to hear those faint deep signals that DISC mode can miss. I've narrowed it down to the Outlaw, the Lobo, and the Tejon.

The Outlaw worries me because of the single 9-volt battery. I doubt its power, though its features seem perfect for me.
The Lobo is a motion machine, but seems to have a reputation for impressive depth and I like its configuration.
The Tejon is designed for relic hunting and, if I heard right, the DISC knob can be clicked to the left, putting the machine in a non-motion/all metal setting.
Which one will pull the deepest Minnie?

1, AA-D sized battery =1.5 volts and 4= 6 volts so what are you worried about with 9 volts... please tell me ?
Gary

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Fletch88!
The Tejon is an awesome machine for what you're wanting and very deep. Dual disc is great to be able to set lower one in AM and upper disc wherever you like. The quick flip of the toggle switch allows you to check target without thumbing a knob. Pinpoint is also on same toggle switch and as all Tesoro are it's spot on! Cannot comment on the Outlaw since I've never use one. Tejon uses 8 AA batteries so use just slightly heavier than Outlaw, but still very light compared to the ML you sold.

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Ronzie. Some of the areas I go back and hunt now don't produce the shallow items anymore. My Minelab sometimes had to reach nearly 2 feet for a Minnie Ball. Depth is definitely a priority factor here.

I love my Outlaw and don't worry about the single 9 volt battery as it's all it needs. 3 coils, shafts and coil covers included is really great and was a factor in my decision. I'm also looking at getting a Tejon maybe next year.
Super light and I could swing it for hours on end.
The Tejon is a deeper machine but the Outlaw is no slouch either.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
1, AA-D sized battery =1.5 volts and 4= 6 volts so what are you worried about with 9 volts... please tell me ?
Gary

When evaluating power, it is Watts that you want to compare. When comparing battery strings, you want to look at Watt- hours (Wh).

Here are some amp-hour rating taken from the web, not sure if they are correct, but they sound close:
AAA- 1150mAh
AA- 2850mAh
9v- 595mAh

So a 9 volt battery will give you (9 x .595) = 5.355 Wh
4 x AA's in series gives you (6 x 1.15) = 6.9 Wh

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The batteries' specific output is plain to see, yes. How the machine uses that power is another matter.

Gary

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out if curiosity if the Minelab was picking minnies at 2 feet, why did you sell it?

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out if curiosity if the Minelab was picking minnies at 2 feet, why did you sell it?

'Definitely had its perks, but it wasn't the ideal machine for me, mainly because I am an avid relic hunter with a knack for sniffing out deep artillery. The Sovereign GT, by design, refuses to signal on iron in DISC mode, and the ALL Metal mode is a nonstop bouncy signal of high-pitch moans and squeals. I, like many others with this machine, opted to hunt in ALL METAL/PINPOINT, compromising ground balance, and was able to achieve amazing depth on targets like Minnies that my buddy's Arado missed. I almost exclusively hunt in this mode and pay attention to the slightest variances in threshold, switching to DISC to better identify items I've targeted. Here's my issue:
1. The configuration of this machine requires that I raise up and switch to DISC with my "shovel" hand at almost every promising signal; then switch back.
2. The machine is loud. Even on small targets, with the gain turned down, it yells "WWOWW!!!!" at most targets. I try to keep quiet and blend into nature on the hunt.
3. It's heavy. I often hunt all day and the only thing that gives me grief about it (other than the Mrs.) is my right arm.
4. I carry my gear in a long backpack from the car to the sites I hunt. To fit in the pack, the minelab has to be broken down into 4 pieces to fit safely, handle, stem, coil, box. The Tesoro, with the cable fixed to the bottom stem, fits fine when broken down into upper and lower pieces = easy to reconnect and go.
5. The brain box is mounted with plastic catches and a quick-release. These have started to "jiggle" a bit and are progressively loosening. Also, twice in the last two years, a branch, sapling, or vine has bumped its trigger release, causing the box to freely swing from the rod by its cable. Not good. Not even once is acceptable to me.

All this said, one other fact remains, better than 90% of the treasures I have recovered in the last 20 years saw the light of day again thanks to my trusty Tesoro Silver Sabre II.

x#1

Greenie
Aug 27, 2013
cherokee county,al.
Detector(s) used
jetco huntmaster gtx ,garrett treasure ace 100, and a tesoro cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary

kind of what i am thinking.tesoro designs their detectors to run off of a single 9 volt so imho,tesoro knows best. my cibola uses a single 9 volt and although i carry a spare,i've never been let down by a depleted battery.

stick w/a tesoro and keep that LIFETIME warranty plus have that depth you desire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, my feelings on the single 9v power plant are a reflection of my years of hunting with relatively heavy, multi-battery machines, like my old Whites and Minelabs, all of which were deep-seekers. There's not any study involved, I'm just a detectorist with a history-based comfort zone. I'm sure the ultra lights do just fine.

kind of what i am thinking.tesoro designs their detectors to run off of a single 9 volt so imho,tesoro knows best. my cibola uses a single 9 volt and although i carry a spare,i've never been let down by a depleted battery.

stick w/a tesoro and keep that LIFETIME warranty-

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's very simple. Today's electronic circuits do not use the power the old ones did. It just doesn't need it anymore.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Definitely had its perks, but it wasn't the ideal machine for me, mainly because I am an avid relic hunter with a knack for sniffing out deep artillery. The Sovereign GT, by design, refuses to signal on iron in DISC mode, and the ALL Metal mode is a nonstop bouncy signal of high-pitch moans and squeals. I, like many others with this machine, opted to hunt in ALL METAL/PINPOINT, compromising ground balance, and was able to achieve amazing depth on targets like Minnies that my buddy's Arado missed. I almost exclusively hunt in this mode and pay attention to the slightest variances in threshold, switching to DISC to better identify items I've targeted. Here's my issue:
1. The configuration of this machine requires that I raise up and switch to DISC with my "shovel" hand at almost every promising signal; then switch back.
2. The machine is loud. Even on small targets, with the gain turned down, it yells "WWOWW!!!!" at most targets. I try to keep quiet and blend into nature on the hunt.
3. It's heavy. I often hunt all day and the only thing that gives me grief about it (other than the Mrs.) is my right arm.
4. I carry my gear in a long backpack from the car to the sites I hunt. To fit in the pack, the minelab has to be broken down into 4 pieces to fit safely, handle, stem, coil, box. The Tesoro, with the cable fixed to the bottom stem, fits fine when broken down into upper and lower pieces = easy to reconnect and go.
5. The brain box is mounted with plastic catches and a quick-release. These have started to "jiggle" a bit and are progressively loosening. Also, twice in the last two years, a branch, sapling, or vine has bumped its trigger release, causing the box to freely swing from the rod by its cable. Not good. Not even once is acceptable to me.

All this said, one other fact remains, better than 90% of the treasures I have recovered in the last 20 years saw the light of day again thanks to my trusty Tesoro Silver Sabre II.

Without a doubt you need a Tejon then. Its lightweight and easy to break down and pack. I have a GT also and only use it in disc mode on wet sand at beach I've tried using AM and it's just too much noise for me to listen to. I'm told its an awesome relic machine though I've never used it for that purpose. Good luck with your decision.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread