Yeah, it was bound to happen locally..more laws, fees, etc..

Scrammer

Apr 5, 2013
Between Buffalo and Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro;
AT Pro Pointer;
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy the TV shows, but understand what they do to the hobby. I have gone back to youtube and the videos on Tnet. Unfortunately I am seeing this first hand, even with "friends" where I have to ask them to fix holes, or in a lot of cases, not detect with them any longer. Hopefully the link is allowed, it is to our beloved Buffalo News in NY.

Erie County considers restricting use of metal detectors - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
scrammer, thanx for the link. However, in each of the cases the article cites with "dire sounding" rules or bans (various cities and/or counties), none of them cites the TV show as their reason for such a thing. Yes the author of the article itself makes reference to the TV shows. But when it comes to various examples of cities imposing any rules, none of THEM cite the TV show as their reason.

So I don't understand when you say: "I enjoy the TV shows, but understand what they do to the hobby." I highly doubt city officials are flipping through TV channels, and watch the show. Then say to themselves "gee, we should forbid metal detecting in our city because of this show". No more so that you watch soap operas, or blender infomercials, etc... Unless, of course, you were in to soap operas, or which-is-the-latest best blender to buy. So too do I think that very few people who aren't into detecting, watch such blather. And even if they did, to somehow connect the dots, have a light-bulb go off in their head, and say "let's ban detecting".

Those cities in the article that have had some recent ban or rules implemented, have other ways that it "crosses their desk" as something to be addressed. JMHO.

OP
OP
S

Scrammer

Apr 5, 2013
Between Buffalo and Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro;
AT Pro Pointer;
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input Tom. My point wasn't city officials watching the show and deciding to ban MD'ing. My point was the average person watching the show, buying a Harbor Freight detector and grabbing a pick axe out of the garage and heading to the park. Just in my little tri-town area (I live about an hour from Buffalo) there are 3 new metal detectorists this year (that I know of and have met) that all credit a "long time interest" but the TV shows pushed them over the edge. 1 has a Harbor Freight, the other two Bounty Hunters from Hobby Lobby (Where I got my first one because they have a 40% off coupon EVERY day!) Two of the three proceeded to excavate craters in front of me while explaining the schools, parks, etc.. around me they go to all the time. One dug a can, swore at it, and put it back in the ground. The third asked me how I made it so you couldn't tell I was there (after he watched me dig a plug) I now detect with him occasionaly. My point was the TV shows do not focus on intricacies of the Hobby, one guy brings in bulldozers and dynamite, one group uses pick axes and never show closing the holes, etc.. I understand it is a TV show made for entertainment value but what does the average newbie get from the show? Poor practices and a bad name for my hobby/addiction.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hmm, interesting. I haven't met a single person who's gone out and bought a detector "because of this show". I suppose it can happen. And yes, this is an odd-ball hobby where the LESS people doing it, the better.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey just the other day I got a brand new in the box whites classic 2 sl for 50 bucks on craigslist, guy bought it after seeing a whites TV commercial, never read the manual, never wrapped the coil wire around the shaft, it beeped at him for 5 minutes and it went back in the box, only thing wrong with it, was he left the batteries in the pack and they leaked everywhere, lil baking soda and water, good as new...
Moral is, if he bought it from a simple TV commercial, and I happen to know whites sold alot of machines back in them days from them ads, then I would be willing to bet, that a full blown TV show is selling AT pros like hotcakes for Garrett, seeing as a friend that works at a local cabellas said they are selling 100+ units a month...thats alot of new swingers, and seeing as nobody can beat cabellas price on the AT pro, that could be why they are selling so well.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions