Rent or Buy a detector?

RAG2

Sep 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm contemplating whether I should rent or buy a unit. The task/job at hand is to recover a $600 Garmin GPS hand-held unit I lost in the field the other day. It is in a case that has a large (2-oz maybe) brass clip that is permanently attached, so that's what I would be hunting for...I know I lost it within the first 200 yards of my hike and I know my approximate path...through a grassy field.

I was planning to rent a unit (here in San Diego), but I'm wondering if I can buy an inexpensive unit that will do the trick for not much more $$, with the possibility that I'd need to use the unit again someday...and my 7-yr-old is getting into rock finding, so maybe it would serve useful for finding metallic rocks, I don't know.

Thanks, in advance!

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd rent one if I were you. If you happened to decide to get into the hobby, you'd want a better unit than an inexpensive one - because you'd end up buying another one after the cheap one, or you'd just get disgusted and quit the hobby. With a rental I'd hope you'd get a little better one than a real cheapie. While you are renting, you can always spend some time doing a little detecting :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm contemplating whether I should rent or buy a unit. The task/job at hand is to recover a $600 Garmin GPS hand-held unit I lost in the field the other day. It is in a case that has a large (2-oz maybe) brass clip that is permanently attached, so that's what I would be hunting for...I know I lost it within the first 200 yards of my hike and I know my approximate path...through a grassy field.

I was planning to rent a unit (here in San Diego), but I'm wondering if I can buy an inexpensive unit that will do the trick for not much more $$, with the possibility that I'd need to use the unit again someday...and my 7-yr-old is getting into rock finding, so maybe it would serve useful for finding metallic rocks, I don't know.

Thanks, in advance!

Don't rent OR buy. There's plenty of hobbyists who simply love to hunt. You would have no problem enlisting the help of a hobbyist in your area. Maybe a tip or a 12-pack if he's successfull, is all you'd need. If you need direction on finding a hobbyist in your area, just run a thread to that effect (on the main page here, as not many people read the state-specific-forums). Or PM me and I've got someone in mind down there who ...... if not able to do it himself, can direct you to others in your area.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Tom said. Also, depending on where you lost it hiking you may need to be careful about the legalities of using a metal detector. If you lost it while hiking on federal land then using a metal detector to find it COULD be illegal. I'd hate to see you decide to rent an expensive metal detector and then have it confiscated by the feds because you were searching on some federally protected land. This is another reason why it would be a good idea to enlist the help of someone who is already familiar with the metal detecting hobby. Not only will their success rate for finding the object be much higher than yours, but they can also tell you what likely can and cannot legally be done to find your missing GPS. More than likely there are no laws governing the use of a metal detector on the land you were on. But it is always good to know the law regardless.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt one would get in any serious trouble for searching for a SURFACE target that was recently lost. Just don't be digging holes.
luvsdux

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't rent OR buy. There's plenty of hobbyists who simply love to hunt. You would have no problem enlisting the help of a hobbyist in your area. Maybe a tip or a 12-pack if he's successfull, is all you'd need. If you need direction on finding a hobbyist in your area, just run a thread to that effect (on the main page here, as not many people read the state-specific-forums). Or PM me and I've got someone in mind down there who ...... if not able to do it himself, can direct you to others in your area.
I agree, there is a learning curve to learn any detector and most of the rentals you find are beep and digs, so you'll probably get overwhelmed with sounds. Learning how to discriminate between good and bad targets takes many hours in the field. I don't know if Tom is talking about me or not, but I do searches here in San Diego as well as my fellow Ring Finder members and local detecting club members. Contact me if you need more details....but do it today as I'm going to be out of town soon!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I doubt one would get in any serious trouble for searching for a SURFACE target that was recently lost. Just don't be digging holes.
luvsdux

I agree. There's no way in h*ck anyone's going to be in trouble looking for their own lost item (ring, etc....) even in a federal park. If some busy-body came up to tell you "you can't do that", you merely tell them that you're looking for your own item. If it were a truly sensitive historic monument (Bodie, Shiloh, Gettysburg, etc...) you'd probably want to tell a ranger first what your purpose/intentions are. But for run-of-the-mill parks, beaches, etc.... I would not hesitate for a minute to look for something I'd lost (or been enlisted to help find).

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
OR! You can go to Harbor Freight Tools and purchase their 9-Function Metal Detector. It's about $40 with a 20-25% off coupon that is in most sunday papers or penny-saver.
That thing works great, easy to use, it will find your Garmin, and possibly a backpack or two. And who knows! You just might like Metal Detecting and get addicted like the rest of us.

After you find your Garmin and have decided metal detecting is not for you , take the detector back to Harbor Freight within 30 days and get you money back.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never Rent You'll spend half the value of the GPS on a rental,
& probably see the unit before you swing over it.

Start a post here put in the title of the area you are &
most likly you'll get responses of those who will help you

I know for a Fact we have plenty of members from your state,
most likely San Diego too

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm.... .sorry Tom but if you show up in a federally protected park with a metal detector (whether the you are digging or not) and the rangers catch you they CAN confiscate the detector. Heck even if they catch you with a metal detector in your TRUNK you can be in serious trouble whether you dug anything or not. Why would they assume that some guy who claims to be searching for "surface finds" is not actually searching for relics and coins to dig? Do you really think that other guys haven't tried the old "well I was just looking for my wife's lost ring/GPS, and no officer I wasn't digging" excuse to try and get out of trouble? Do you think that worked?

In other words, are you telling people that they can't have their metal detector confiscated if they go swing it in a federally protected park? If so, is there no end to the lies you will tell just so that you can maintain your world view that no one ever needs to ask for permission and all metal detector laws should just be ignored?

No, I have no intention of getting into yet another pissing match with you. I just think it is hilarious (and dangerous to others) that you would claim that a person couldn't possibly get into trouble for swinging a metal detector in a federal park where it was expressly forbidden.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm.... .sorry Tom but if you show up in a federally protected park with a metal detector (whether the you are digging or not) and the rangers catch you they CAN confiscate the detector. Heck even if they catch you with a metal detector in your TRUNK you can be in serious trouble whether you dug anything or not. Why would they assume that some guy who claims to be searching for "surface finds" is not actually searching for relics and coins to dig? Do you really think that other guys haven't tried the old "well I was just looking for my wife's lost ring/GPS, and no officer I wasn't digging" excuse to try and get out of trouble? Do you think that worked?

In other words, are you telling people that they can't have their metal detector confiscated if they go swing it in a federally protected park? If so, is there no end to the lies you will tell just so that you can maintain your world view that no one ever needs to ask for permission and all metal detector laws should just be ignored?

No, I have no intention of getting into yet another pissing match with you. I just think it is hilarious (and dangerous to others) that you would claim that a person couldn't possibly get into trouble for swinging a metal detector in a federal park where it was expressly forbidden.

I would Guess, Now this is only a "Guess"
but If you lost an Expensive ring on the Gettysburg Battlefield or almost any federally protected site,
you could probably swing a special Permit in order to search. However,
I'm sure at least one, but probably more like half a dozen Federal employees would be right there the whole time.

Of course who you are may also come into play,,
as to whether they would say they need to have discussions first.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would Guess, Now this is only a "Guess"
but If you lost an Expensive ring on the Gettysburg Battlefield or almost any federally protected site,
you could probably swing a special Permit in order to search. However,
I'm sure at least one, but probably more like half a dozen Federal employees would be right there the whole time.

Of course who you are may also come into play,,
as to whether they would say they need to have discussions first.

I agree. But that is a far cry from Tom saying "Don't worry about it, just go get a detector because it isn't like you are digging. It is just a surface find of something you personally lost". Of course, I am paraphrasing. But telling someone that they won't get in trouble for bringing a metal detector on protected federal land is a far cry from getting prior permission or a special permit to use a detector on federal land to find a ring you lost. I would hope you are right Jeff because that would be the logical way for the feds to handle it. But I'm also not convinced that the feds will always be logical.

Either way I think it goes without saying that one should know the laws of the places they intend to detect. Since the OP was talking about hiking then it seemed to me that he could potentially be hiking on federal or state land where metal detectors may be banned. It's also possible that it is completely private land. But without knowing I think it is prudent to point out that he should probably be sure that what he is doing is legal. Especially if there is the possibility that an expensive rental detector could get confiscated and he might get stuck paying for a $1000 detector that he lost due to ignorance of the law.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RAG2

Sep 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, thanks everyone! I suppose I will place a post and see who might be able to help me locally...if not, I can try the rental route.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, thanks everyone! I suppose I will place a post and see who might be able to help me locally...if not, I can try the rental route.

Be sure to put in your Title what State you are in, So those from there take notice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread