Treasure/MEtal Detecting TV shows rant

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Does anyone else feel that all the shows on TV about our hobby make us look like a bunch of screaming, cart wheeling, yahoo idiots? My son asked me the other day if I acted as stupid as they do when I detect and if I yelled like an weirdo? I explained that those people do not represent "US", the average MDer and that most of if not all of the locations that they detect at are not open to the public to detect. He stated that it isn't fair for the people on the shows to have permission when no one else can. This is coming from a 10 year old.

I can't agree more with him. I'd like to see these yahoos trudge through the New England woods around here instead of hand picked honey hole sites. How about a show where the person has to dig through tons of bottle caps and garbage to find a single Merc?

Just my two cents from a frustrated hobbiest.

Upvote 0

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is just TV. Watching a TV show about metal detecting would be about as boring as watching grass grow if it weren't for all the excitement and antics when they do find something. Metal detecting is not a spectator hobby by any means.

I know I get pretty darn excited when I find something great and would probably act the same way if I were younger but nobody is watching anyway. When I don't get really excited when I find something metal detecting it will be time for me to quit the hobby.

cedar6712

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody knows it's all about ratings so their show will not be cancelled. Watching someone MD is like watching chrome rust, so they had to do something.

MDing is not a spectator sport. You can't show it like it is and maintain an audience. Like all reality shows, you have to dramatize or jive it up for the general audience. If the average MDer starting showing me home movies of his day in the city park, I'm afraid it would be a regular snooze-fest. If you can't entertain the non-MDing audience and keep them watching, then your show won't be on the air very long.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well opinions are like $&@holes. Everyone has one but no one wants to hear from or smell one. This site is really starting to be full of jerks. Either people are jealous over other people finds, call peoples finds fake or question what people say. Just sayin! What does just sayin mean outside of a trailer park?
You said yourself this was a rant and to me ranting is the same as crying. People don't agree with you and you start calling them names...whats wrong with you?

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest problem with the shows is American Digger has home owners now wanting to be paid. Diggers has home owners think we'll act like idiots if they allow us on their property. And the worst of them all is Dig Wars. They carry toothbrush's & actually use them and they're teaching that to the masses. Our finds need to be treated properly to be preserved. Not ruined by grinding them with a brush, which we all know will leave scratches & lesson its condition

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest problem with the shows is American Digger has home owners now wanting to be paid. Diggers has home owners think we'll act like idiots if they allow us on their property. And the worst of them all is Dig Wars. They carry toothbrush's & actually use them and they're teaching that to the masses. Our finds need to be treated properly to be preserved. Not ruined by grinding them with a brush, which we all know will leave scratches & lesson its condition
Shouldn't they be able to do what they want with their finds?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would feel much better about all of these detecting shows if they would start with a reminder to people not to hunt private property without permission and to follow metal detecting laws in the area they are going to hunt. If they wanted to be honest they would say that their finds are not representative of what most hunters are likely to find.

Jcostin

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would feel much better about all of these detecting shows if they would start with a reminder to people not to hunt private property without permission and to follow metal detecting laws in the area they are going to hunt. If they wanted to be honest they would say that their finds are not representative of what most hunters are likely to find.
amen!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dnt know how many homeowners asked how much thwy r gonna get. I just chuckle and say have a nice day and leave.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dnt know how many homeowners asked how much thwy r gonna get. I just chuckle and say have a nice day and leave.
I would tell them they could have half of my finds...that would be a heck of a lot better than what you get when you say have a nice day and leave. :dontknow:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There like any reality tv show, American Pickers ect. They just ruin everything.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of you remember the (thankfully!) short Discovery series with Jessy Ventura? The first place he went was to HAARP. He depicted the place as a fed coverup, and somehow managed to include space aliens into the discussion. Ugh!

It just so happens I know one of the original designers of the array, and the builder of all of the hardware driving the array. Ventura's depiction was pure fantasy! It was, by any description, a vain stab at eliciting viewers, which failed miserably! Maybe we should all send a nasty-gram to David Zaslav, the CEO of Discovery Communications, voicing our displeasure!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we should all send a nasty-gram to David Zaslav, the CEO of Discovery Communications, voicing our displeasure!

NO! That will have the opposite effect. Love and hatred are the same the thing to television: Passion. This was discovered when Howard Stern became popular. The researchers discovered that the people who hated him tuned in even more than the people who loved in. That is why there is "no such thing as bad publicity".

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately we are all brainwashed and just keep tuning in. Turn it off and wait for it on On Demand after they cancel the show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread