Treasure/MEtal Detecting TV shows rant

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Does anyone else feel that all the shows on TV about our hobby make us look like a bunch of screaming, cart wheeling, yahoo idiots? My son asked me the other day if I acted as stupid as they do when I detect and if I yelled like an weirdo? I explained that those people do not represent "US", the average MDer and that most of if not all of the locations that they detect at are not open to the public to detect. He stated that it isn't fair for the people on the shows to have permission when no one else can. This is coming from a 10 year old.

I can't agree more with him. I'd like to see these yahoos trudge through the New England woods around here instead of hand picked honey hole sites. How about a show where the person has to dig through tons of bottle caps and garbage to find a single Merc?

Just my two cents from a frustrated hobbiest.

Upvote 0

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Lets remember, that much of what you do looks pretty sedate. Their job is to make a TV show, not to accurately represent the hobby. They have to add enough spice to make other people who do not KNOW what you are doing, watch it. It would be nice if they were better representation of what is reality, but I would have to say showing someone walking in the park, talking to people now and again, and digging here or there would be a pretty boring show. One of those things, Fun to do, stupid to watch (Like golf).

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
I agree Daryn but hey - I still enjoy watching. Always something to learn in between the screams and jumping around!
killingme.gif

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if someone ever asks me if I act as stupid as they do when I detect,
and if I yell like an weirdo, I'd say

absolutely ! Every time I find something worth while...
it's Mandatory :laughing7:

that way if he sits somewhere & watches, he'll think "Must have had a bad day"

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig fellas is a good show, not like the rest. bill ladd and howard Hewitt do massive research, and if you check out their u tube vids, new England woods is where they do most of their hunting. but I agree that savage did more damage than good with his merry crew of idiots! but that's spike tv for you....

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody knows it's all about ratings so their show will not be cancelled. Watching someone MD is like watching chrome rust, so they had to do something.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig fellas is a good show, not like the rest. bill ladd and howard Hewitt do massive research, and if you check out their u tube vids, new England woods is where they do most of their hunting. but I agree that savage did more damage than good with his merry crew of idiots! but that's spike tv for you....

I'm still trying to get used to these two "fellas" :tongue3:

especially bill ladd. this weeks show was tolerable.
each week they get a little more tolerable.
I still think the editors read the forums, & re edit.
Either that or they are just calming down.
The first episode was over the top "scary" to put it mildly.

Of course I may just be getting used to the accents,
but I'm also happy the "Howaaaad's !" have been rationed too

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chicago Ron (Ron Guinazzo) just announced that he left the "Dig Wars" show. Looks like he is the one with the most common sense so far!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chicago Ron (Ron Guinazzo) just announced that he left the "Dig Wars" show. Looks like he is the one with the most common sense so far!

I was actually looking forward to that shows return.

that and Diggers.

I just wonder if they tried to get them to start planting that Ron left.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I really enjoyed the antics of Bill Ladd and Howard on YouTube, they do need to tone it down a little for tv. They are realistic, but I wouldn't want everyone to think that we are all that away. I like Bill and Howard, but they are goofy. That's kinda why I enjoy watching them.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The editors make what will give good ratings? The only way to make a show about metal detecting and get good ratings is to make it nutty. Just think hunny boo boo.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone else feel that all the shows on TV about our hobby make us look like a bunch of screaming, cart wheeling, yahoo idiots? My son asked me the other day if I acted as stupid as they do when I detect and if I yelled like an weirdo? I explained that those people do not represent "US", the average MDer and that most of if not all of the locations that they detect at are not open to the public to detect. He stated that it isn't fair for the people on the shows to have permission when no one else can. This is coming from a 10 year old.

I can't agree more with him. I'd like to see these yahoos trudge through the New England woods around here instead of hand picked honey hole sites. How about a show where the person has to dig through tons of bottle caps and garbage to find a single Merc?

Just my two cents from a frustrated hobbiest.
The places they get to hunt is one of the reasons the show is so popular. Of course its not fair but not something to cry about. They don't get to keep any of their finds.

OP
OP
Daryn

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
The places they get to hunt is one of the reasons the show is so popular. Of course its not fair but not something to cry about. They don't get to keep any of their finds.

Who's crying?!? We don't need anymore bad publicity for our hobby and these few people on TV are leaving poor impressions on people. Have knocked on doors and have been told no because they didn't want people yelling on their property or bringing in backhoes to dig holes.

I don't find digging in off-limit areas as popular.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come on now be serious. I really doubt anyone would say that and if they did it would be pretty simple to explain the show. Most people i agree don't want someone knocking on their door whether your detecting or selling magazines. I really have my doubts the show has had a negative impact on detecting. I hear nothing but positive feedback about the show and most people ask how real the show is and if i ever made finds like they do.

One other thing you must consider is the rise in popularity of this hobby. I see it all the time that many guys are not careful how they dig, where they dig and especially how the cover their holes. I am not knocking them because each person can wear what they please but i have seen guys with tool belts and pouches, vests with multiple pockets and cargo pants filled paraphernalia. Some look down right scary almost like a swat team member. Some guy dressed like that knocks on a door and the resident is going to step back and say ummmm I don't think so.

Ok I ranted too but the TV show has helped our hobby more than it has hurt it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's crying?!? We don't need anymore bad publicity for our hobby and these few people on TV are leaving poor impressions on people. Have knocked on doors and have been told no because they didn't want people yelling on their property or bringing in backhoes to dig holes.

I don't find digging in off-limit areas as popular.

Sound a lot like crying. Just sayin.

Paulripp

Sep 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i feel also it is wrong that they can be there and we can not. And i don't run around yelling like a two year old. They would cover more ground if they did not stop the other guy taking up his time from searching when they can wait till the day is over and they are back at car.

OP
OP
Daryn

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Sound a lot like crying. Just sayin.

Well opinions are like $&@holes. Everyone has one but no one wants to hear from or smell one. This site is really starting to be full of jerks. Either people are jealous over other people finds, call peoples finds fake or question what people say. Just sayin! What does just sayin mean outside of a trailer park?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread