All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The beach is open for detecting. No problem. 9th street use to be the hottest area. Frank... hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you venture down to Assateaque National Park, do NOT keep your metal detector in your vehicle! You can and will be fined if they see it. This info coming from the people at the front desk because MDing is illegal on National land. Now the STATE park is ok. Just stay on the beach only, as per the State park front desk.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you venture down to Assateaque National Park, do NOT keep your metal detector in your vehicle! You can and will be fined if they see it. This info coming from the people at the front desk because MDing is illegal on National land. Now the STATE park is ok. Just stay on the beach only, as per the State park front desk.

Are you saying you can't even drive through the park with a metal detector in your car? I find that a bit hard to swallow. Swinging it somewhere that is off limits I will believe, but just sitting in your car is a bit much.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm I don't know where you got that tidbit of info from but I live a few minutes away from the beach and hunt there. No such rule as ppl camp on the national side and the state side and of course you can have your detector in your car. If they catch you using it well kiss it goodbye for certain, they can take your car and jail you but depends on the officer. Just stay on the state side when detecting. Best thing to do is if you are walking to the state side, remove your batteries so you can say you weren't detecting and show how you couldn't. As far as ocean city no worries. The inlet area is trash central, don't waste your time. Go further down(North) and hit the areas in front of the hotels and if your legs are up for it go down to the bigger hotels and condos 60th street and higher. Those places produce jewelry instead of clad.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then go into the National Park's visitors center and ask them! They are the ones that gave me this info, PLEASE go ask them. I would not be telling you this if this person has not told me personally. Don't care for the fact that you think I am lying about the info I give! Really?

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not saying your lying, just saying I think your misinformed. When it actually comes down to being arrested for doing nothing it just does not hold up in court.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Life-nra, I agree with the others here . I mean *seriously* dude , do you REALLY. think anyone cares if a metal detector is in your car as you drive through a federal park? Can you cite ANY example of someone having their car and detector confiscated for such a thing? You are just the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked ". Also I bet the next person there you ask would give a different answer depending on mood and how they interpret minutia .

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well then go into the National Park's visitors center and ask them! They are the ones that gave me this info, PLEASE go ask them. I would not be telling you this if this person has not told me personally. Don't care for the fact that you think I am lying about the info I give! Really?

OK, lets settle this once and for all.
In my younger days, I went to a National Seashore and asked if you could hunt on the beach. The park ranger looked at me and said," If you take that detector out of your vehicle, I will confiscate it, and your vehicle, and arrest you. You will get 3 years in prison and have to pay a fine of $5K dollars." I got in my vehicle and left. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg PS: I guess the ICC act allows you to transport it. thru the park.

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life-nra, I agree with the others here . I mean *seriously* dude , do you REALLY. think anyone cares if a metal detector is in your car as you drive through a federal park? Can you cite ANY example of someone having their car and detector confiscated for such a thing? You are just the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked ". Also I bet the next person there you ask would give a different answer depending on mood and how they interpret minutia .

T-o-m do you have any FEDERAL lands near you? Are you allowed to detect there? We went through this before, but this is federal land now. I seriously doubt this in not a "no one cared till you asked" event! I get the no sign thing now, but this is different. I also understand the people camping there who will detect on the state side! Seriously *dude* I would love to see you go there on national land and start detecting. Just let me know when you will be there so I can set up a chair and watch them arrest you. Don't worry ill get it all on tape and post it for you! LOL!!!

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, lets settle this once and for all.
In my younger days, I went to a National Seashore and asked if you could hunt on the beach. The park ranger looked at me and said," If you take that detector out of your vehicle, I will confiscate it, and your vehicle, and arrest you. You will get 3 years in prison and have to pay a fine of $5K dollars." I got in my vehicle and left. Frank...
PS: I guess the ICC act allows you to transport it. thru the park.

Why no Frank he must have been lying to you! :rolleyes: You can do anything you want on FEDERAL land!!!

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really I just wanted to warn about going in federal lands! Nothing more, no pissing match. Next time ill have a video recorder and get documents signed along with picture ID's. Get them all certified and notarized before posting.
:laughing7:

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

This is what tipped me off that you were thinking I was lying about the info I gave. After seeing your other posts on not this topic, I see now that you write this in. I do apologize!

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assateague State Park http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/eastern/assateaguecamping.asp

Is metal detecting allowed on the beach or in the campground?
Metal detectors are only allowed beginning the day after Labor Day through May 30th and only on the ocean side of the primary dune. Metal detecting will not be allowed from May 31st until the day after Labor Day. Any exceptions must obtain written permission from Park Manager. Metal detecting is not allowed within the campground or on the west side of the primary dune.

Due to the government shut down I was un-able to find any info on federal side of Assateague National Park

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Assateague State Park Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service

Is metal detecting allowed on the beach or in the campground?
Metal detectors are only allowed beginning the day after Labor Day through May 30th and only on the ocean side of the primary dune. Metal detecting will not be allowed from May 31st until the day after Labor Day. Any exceptions must obtain written permission from Park Manager. Metal detecting is not allowed within the campground or on the west side of the primary dune.

Due to the government shut down I was un-able to find any info on federal side of Assateague National Park

Well, I told you in the post you made fun of! Assateague NP . Detectors are illegal when you take them out of the vehicle.
It's that simple. Is It that hard to admit a mistake? Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I told you in the post you made fun of! Assateague NP . Detectors are illegal when you take them out of the vehicle.
It's that simple. Is It that hard to admit a mistake? Frank...

I was not making fun of you Frankn, just taking a poke at Tom. Because he keeps on saying the, "no one cared till you asked" theme. When I already knew about detecting on federal lands. Which is what my first post was about, just trying to warn the gentiman about detecting on the National park land!
;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I was not making fun of you Frankn, just taking a poke at Tom. Because he keeps on saying the, "no one cared till you asked" theme. When I already knew about detecting on federal lands. Which is what my first post was about, just trying to warn the gentiman about detecting on the National park land!
;)

life NRA, go back and re-read this. Read again what I wrote, and what I was responding to, TO BEGIN WITH. The issue there was NOT whether or not someone can detect in such & such place. The issue was the mere act of simply having a detector in the car as you drive some particular street or park. Not using it, but simply transporting it. See?

So the "no one cared till you asked" point was about transporting a detector. I was not applying that to whether or not you could detect in this case. See? Thus sure: If you or I ask enough bureaucrats if we can have a detector in our back seat or trunk, while driving through Yellowstone national park, for instance, I have no doubt that if you asked long enough and hard enough, that sure, you CAN find one to say that even "possession" (in your trunk or back seat), is "not allowed". Heck, they might even be able to cite dire consequences to this pressing question. But REALISTICALLY, no one is even seeing or noticing or caring.

So again I ask you: Can you cite any such incident of detector being confiscated, fines, jail, etc... for simply being in the back-seat or trunk, yet not used or brought out of the vehicle? If you have any such incident, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, the silence is deafening !!

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So again I ask you: Can you cite any such incident of detector being confiscated, fines, jail, etc... for simply being in the back-seat or trunk, yet not used or brought out of the vehicle? If you have any such incident, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, the silence is deafening !!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, been at metal detecting now for..................................6 months! Cant say I been anywhere that this has happened! Tell you what there tommy boy, when the our GOVERNMENT opens back up Ill get the phone number for you to ask! Let me explain this again! LISTEN!!!!

THIS WAS TOLD TO ME BY A GOVERNMENT EMPOLYEE! SHE WAS ALSO MORE THAN JUST AN EMPLOYEE, SHE WAS THE BOSS!!! THEY BROUGHT HER TO ME! HMMMMMMM, SHE MIGHT KNOW A THING ABOUT METAL DETECTING ON FEDERAL LANDS!!!!! SHE WAS THE PERSON WHO TOLD ME THAT DETECTORS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN YOUR VEHICHLE WHILE ON FEDERAL LANDS!!!

So now having to explain this again. In large caps, yelling! LOL! I am just stating what was told to me by this person. Damn!!! If you have any problems with this then call these people and talk to them yourself! Hey, there's an idea! But then, you will just fall back on your same old BS by saying, "no one cared till you asked!"
:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me apologize to the original poster for not trying to hijack your thread, I was only trying to give you the information about being on federal lands. Sorry!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread