Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
With a Government Shutdown looming, and if Federal Park employees go on furlough, does that mean all National Parks and Federal Land is open season for Metal Detecting?

What I've always heard is; a law is only a law if it is enforced :) Our border with Mexico is proof of that!!

Update: October 2, 2013, 1:15PM - PST

As of now, the thread is up to 63 comments / replies and it looks like some of the long term posters to TNet are having fun with this post. They range from people that would never break the law, no matter what. To people that believe the relics under the ground on Federal land will disintegrate over time and be lost forever.

Personally, I'm getting a little dizzy, but it here's the synopsis in no particular order:

Leave the relics in the ground! Follows the laws! Dig the relics up, they will turn to dust! Are you serious or joking! Artifacts does zero good buried in the ground! The relics and lead will pollute the ground water! Future high tech equipment will know what's down there and why! The ground is sacred in National Parks! We can tunnel under and get the stuff that way! It's all the Archies fault! Do you even metal detect? Anthropologists do not support digging every site! Maybe our parks are actually government storage areas for aliens!TreasureNet does not advocate the breaking of any laws, local, state or federal! If your detector goes over a target and no one is there to hear it...does it make a sound? The way it's going, there will be no place to Metal Detect! Dig um up! Leave um there! I'm right, your wrong! No! I'm right and your wrong!
Gotta Love It!!

It's no wonder Congress's Approval Rating is only 10% and they can't agree on anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by wild eyed willey
The lead and steel/ artifacts does zero good buried in the ground. not having it there would do little to diminish the tragedy that happened there. The only thing relics do in the ground is contaminate it...
--------------------------------------------------------
Pippin

whew...even more frightening that you believe this.
---------------------------------------------------------
Hay WILLEY has a point! They would rather it rot in place than someone with a metal detector save it. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by wild eyed willey
The lead and steel/ artifacts does zero good buried in the ground. not having it there would do little to diminish the tragedy that happened there. The only thing relics do in the ground is contaminate it...
--------------------------------------------------------
Pippin

whew...even more frightening that you believe this.
---------------------------------------------------------
Hay WILLEY has a point! They would rather it rot in place than someone with a metal detector save it. Frank...

Perhaps it's because there are so many in the ground, us digging them up,
would diminish the value they place on the ones they dig.

Sort of on the line of De Beers &
the International Diamond Cartel.
Keep them rare for their own pockets :(

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no...digging things up to because you can is a false bottom to stand on. even anthropologists do not support digging every site, removing everything....that is insanity.

Just out of curiosity pippinwhitepaws, what is the rational leaving something undiscovered dissolving in the ground? If you don't even know it's there what would be the difference if it was gone? Seems like museums or historic sites would like to display the relics to help tell the story, or depending on what was found, change history itself.

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the rational is that someday...in the future....
someone will come along who is more intelligent, has better equipement, and a larger data base to reconstruct history as it was,
not as we might interpret today, or wish the history to be....

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the rational is that someday...in the future.... someone will come along who is more intelligent, has better equipement, and a larger data base to reconstruct history as it was, not as we might interpret today, or wish the history to be....
Thanks pippin. I guess we will just have to wait for the future to discover history then.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anything the law enforcement will be watching the parks even closer as they are being ordered to keep people out. My thoughts.... if you are dumb enough to detect a Federal Park then go for it. You'll land in jail and give the hobby a black eye. I know of one guy who was illegally hunting on federal property once and go caught. After he got out of jail he was able to TRY to buy his truck, boat, guns, and hunting gear back at a law enforcement auction. He has banned from getting his hunting license for some time after that.

Shutdown closes Great Smoky Mountains and other parks

"Law enforcement and other essential maintenance crews will remain on duty to provide security and emergency services."

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd love to detect the White House Grounds...but somehow I suspect the Secret Service won't be shut down. :laughing7:

That Would Be A Sweet Hunt, Red And I Will Be there But You Get To Go First!!! LOL Chug It Was Your Idea!!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

the rational is that someday...in the future....
someone will come along who is more intelligent, has better equipement, and a larger data base to reconstruct history as it was,
not as we might interpret today, or wish the history to be....

Pippin-whitepaws, your stance reads/sounds exactly like it's coming out of an archaeologist's play-book. All their logic. All commendable. I mean, sure, we *all* want to see Bodie and Shiloh type places preserved. No doubt. But your line of reasoning doesn't stop there at those obvious sacred monument type places. They keep going to say it's everywhere on public land (and even private land according to more purist types). So where does it stop pippin-whitepaw? I have sympathy for the song-&-dance you cite (for sacred obvious monument type places), but for everywhere else (run-of-the-mill forests, beaches, etc...) I would say to someone who makes this type of post: Why are you even into metal detecting? (or are you?)

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deteriorating iron hidden under ground ( out of sight) can certainly bring history alive for no one. We have all heard the problems of lead poisoning the environment, it can easily seep into the ground water, poison fish, wildlife, cattle and humans. There is no good reason to leave this remain in the ground. The dead solders will still be just as dead if the artifacts are removed. It won't change their fate whatsoever nor diminish the national respect our country has for the fallen soldiers. Consider this, there are literary volumes upon volumes written about the wars in this country, some autobiography's. These battles have been studied to delirium by experts and novice alike, the chance of any new material to be learned by some future archeological dig ( key word, DIG) is slim to none. Simply from an environmental stand point these sights should be cleaned of debris. Perhaps the sights could be divided into equal spaces, split between the Archeologists and the hobbyists. Simply put, IT AINT HISTORY IF NO ONE CAN SEE IT!!! also how much money could our poor government save if they didn't need to hire people to guard rusty bits of metal laying in the ground that no one can see anyway. I don't ask much, just a smidgen of common sense.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok here's a twist. Maybe our parks are actually government storage areas for aliens. The archys are men in black. Trying to prevent us from knowing the TRUTH. ;)
Actually would love to find battle relics, but afraid I'd get arrested and my hunting grounds be made a historical site. Since everywhere I go somebody's been there before me. Now there trash is a relic. Ughh.

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The truth is that soldiers were picking relics off the battle fields as the battles were ending. This is not some new behavior invented by detector heads hundreds of technically advanced years in the future. The people back then had as much knowledge of artifacts and rare finds as we do now. These soldiers collected pieces they thought were important and at the time did not feel their actions took in anyway, any sort of ill meaning or lack of importance from the battle they had just fought today. Clean up the useless debris!!!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureNet does not advocate the breaking of any laws, local, state or federal.

It is against federal law to detect national battlefields, national parks, and monuments.

Please obey all laws, joking around about it is not a problem, any posts will be deleted that seriously advocate the breaking of laws.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pippin-whitepaws, your stance reads/sounds exactly like it's coming out of an archaeologist's play-book. All their logic. All commendable. I mean, sure, we *all* want to see Bodie and Shiloh type places preserved. No doubt. But your line of reasoning doesn't stop there at those obvious sacred monument type places. They keep going to say it's everywhere on public land (and even private land according to more purist types). So where does it stop pippin-whitepaw? I have sympathy for the song-&-dance you cite (for sacred obvious monument type places), but for everywhere else (run-of-the-mill forests, beaches, etc...) I would say to someone who makes this type of post: Why are you even into metal detecting? (or are you?)

well, I have been told clearly I can not state my educational background or accomplishments...it degrades others I was told.
but archeologists are a subset of anthropology...yes, I have some knowledge of the subject...
it never stops...looters are the second oldest profession.
so much history has been destroyed in the course of human occupation, it is a wonder any historian can build upon what is left...
and I must state humans do not like history unless it supports some current self serving position.
even less do they like historians...and untll karl marx, anthropology was history...archeologists were lay historians, looters with knowledge.
why do I metal detect? or do I? how rude.
I search for knowledge...the original sin.
wow..."it ain't history if you cant see it?"
really?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, I have been told clearly I can not state my educational background or accomplishments...it degrades others I was told.
but archeologists are a subset of anthropology...yes, I have some knowledge of the subject...
it never stops...looters are the second oldest profession.
so much history has been destroyed in the course of human occupation, it is a wonder any historian can build upon what is left...
and I must state humans do not like history unless it supports some current self serving position.
even less do they like historians...and untll karl marx, anthropology was history...archeologists were lay historians, looters with knowledge.
why do I metal detect? or do I? how rude.
I search for knowledge...the original sin.
wow..."it ain't history if you cant see it?"
really?

ROFL :laughing7: If you were actually told this,
I'm sure it was probably for where your nose appeared to be at the time.
if you get my meaning.

I'm sure You can state your Education,
Unless you never learned when & how to do it without throwing it in others faces.

Personally wouldn't matter to me if you were the Post master General, General Mills ,
the President of Jabip, of some guy who just lifted a computer, Plugged it in & signed up here.

Your a Member of TreasureNet & equal to all 67,251 other members here :thumbsup:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subset of Anthropology? LOL. I believe we live in a world of advance technology. Pressing your luck would be a bad idea. No matter what side of the fence your on, we all feel right. But if we do not follow the rules or laws in place, we become a mob. The mob mentality has taken over and Im not a happy camper. There is ways to do things, and ways not to do things. If you practice getting out of bed every day doing things wrong, it will catch up with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread