Newbies and oldies--detect near water

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
My biggest suggestion is to detect near the banks of steams, lakes, rivers and creeks. First, it's very unlikely they have been subjected to manmade changes over time due to either regulations for development or just the fact that people tend to leave them as is. It's also the case that many decades or even centuries ago, people had to go there to get water or to use it for recreation and bathing. Look for landmarks like big boulders or trees or anything that would have been a place that attracted people over time. I was detecting along a creek and came across a huge boulder about the size of an SUV or bigger and sure enough I found a 1906 Barber dime below it. Good luck!!!!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you HERE in PA, every place a Major Creek enters The Susquehanna River, on the Eastern Bank.? there was a Trading post in the Early 1700's in some cases there were FORTS built during the French & Indian Wars here in the 1750's also.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HARRIS Trading Post at PAXTANG CREEK & SUSQUEHANNA RIVER, became FORT HARRIS ................................ HUNTER'S Became FORT HUNTER at the FISHING SREEK & SUSQUEHANNA RIVER .................................. ARMSTRONGS became FORT HALIFAX at ARMSTRONG'S CR. & SUSQUAHANNA RIVER ................................ BERRY's trading post was at the WICONISCO CR. & SUSQUEHANNA RIVER .................... McKEES Trading Post at the MAHANTONGO CR. & SUSQUEHANNA RIVER. ....................... Gabriels trading post at the PENNS CR. & SUSQUEHANNA RIVER & ............... SHAMOKIN INDIAN VILLAGE, Became FORT AUGUSTA at Sunbury where the WEST & NORTH BRANCH OF THE SUSQUEHANNA MEET. this is all between Harrisburg & Sunbury, about a 40 mile distance.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Good points. I should have added that people hunting animals generations ago would track them to the waters edge and would also camp there.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
One thing you need to understand about waterway hunting is the effect of the water, the hydrodynamics ove time. Near us, every year brings new fallen trees into the water. The spot where a tree falls in the water is changed forever. The water pushes material out from under an obstacle such as a tree and deposits new material, in time the tree is gone and that part of the bottom levels with the rest while other trees are doing the same upstream and down. Some of these holes are deep and sudden.

Walking into one of these holes can be deadly if the tree and material are there, a sudden drop off and increased current can get you tabgled under it. That's the safety lesson.

The TH'ing tip is this. A LOT of old goodies have migrated downstream and wound up MUCH deeper due to this type of activity, some will get recycled and brought back up by the same activity. So you will want to listen to the most faint, deep iffy and bad signals in the water and be prepared to dig and most importantly, the goodies may be in that spot over there where you'd never expect them to be because of the water's work on them.

Have fun!

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, great points! There are many locations to search along the mighty Susquehanna. A few years ago the state widened Rts 11 & 15(west side of the river) from Port Trevorton south to Rt 322. Because of the many state laws, digs had to be done by those guys we don't like to mention. In every single dig next to the river there were numerous indian artifacts found. One can only imagine the possibilities on the eastern side. Sunbury was the largest settlement along the river for many miles up and down. In the 12 years that I have lived in Sunbury I have only seen people detecting less than 5 times. Each time they have been spotted while detecting along the river wall. By the way, I will be getting in touch with you once we finally see the final thaw of the season.

batts, you brought up a great point concerning hydrodynamics. Case in point is the gold coast of Florida. Those coins were not hidden by people in the sand on the beach. The motion of the ocean moved them there. Being a fisherman I know how deep the holes can be next to a fallen tree. We typically call them "honey holes" as the tend to give up plenty of fish. The same can hold true for MDers. Problem is that unless you have something for water deeper than your waiste, those hidden treasures will remain right where they are.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ETHABS, in the Halifax History it Mentions When the Dug for the CLARKS FERRY BRIDGE, they dug up a LARGE indian Burial Mound & used it to Enforce the Abutments. it dosn't mention what they did with the extras, if there were any

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else I thought of. There are many old canals around here. What do think of checking those?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I've wanted to spend a summer working the nearby Hennepin Canal, not the canal itself but the nearby former crossroads that grew from it. Unfortunately in this part of the country the canal period was so short it was virtually non-existent. The era of the railroads laid the canals to waste. In Illinois the Hennepin has been designated a scenic canoe trail and while seemingly endless miles of flat land do not sound scenic at first it does have a very rural and yesteryear feel to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread