FRESH ground today!!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with that. You'll dig more junk then anything lol. At our FG it's a inch of soil the. Hard locking stone base that 6 in in some places and deeper in other to keep trailers from sinking. But have fun and good luck, also keep things clean and you'll be allowed back. They'll problay be checking after you leave.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eating_popcorn_tn_final.gif
Outstanding phishisgroovin. I will wait here to see your finds.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great opportunity!

OP
OP
phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
here it is.
While the rest of the guys gave up on the hard area where the rides go, i found it an opportunity to BE ALONE so i went over there.
Found a token, some pennies, pop tabs & caps.
Then i got a solid 81 on the machine, 6 inches deep.
81 usually means dime.

stones are actually metallic, not sure what they are.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. Might be plated if there are no marks though. My Junkers hit in the dime range and are plated copper or brass.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find s

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

the prospecting club i belong to obtained permission to hunt Chelan Co fairgrounds on a one day hunt, has never been picked over.
the fair started in 1950 so i am positive there will be some silver today!

hoping to find the coin toss lol!

when you say the fairgrounds has "never been picked over", do you mean it's never been hunted at all? If so, what makes your club think no one's ever hunted it before ?

OP
OP
phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thats what the people told us, nobody had been allowed to hunt it.
every hole we dug was meticulously replaced to almost look as if we werent there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Who is "the people"? The authorities at the fair? And who's to say their "allowance" was even needed, in the past? I mean, isn't it a public fairgrounds? Even though someone at a desk may tell you "no one's ever hunted here before", the reality is, they probably just don't know.

Example: About 10 yrs. ago, our club got group permission to hunt at a particular gated county park (a special events park, not un-like a fairgrounds, that's opened for weddings, fairs, carnivals, annual public picnics, etc....). A member of our club had done some county work for the sheriffs (locating some evidence at a crime-scene), so we pulled some strings, and got the county to let us have an outing at this particular place (dates to the 1930s).

And I had to chuckle, as the guy opened the gate for us on the day we arrived. He said: ".... and no one's ever metal detected here before..." Because you see, I knew for a fact that it had been ROUTINELY hunted. And this guy simply didn't know. Anytime the gates were open (preceding or following various events) in past years, there was never anything stopping anyone from simply walking in, .... and detecting. Doh :) So even though some current pencil pusher may not recall having "allowed" it (as if that was even needed), or seen anyone (as if he's camped down there 24x7), I assure you: that any good spot gets researched & hit.

Unless you're in an area which has very few md'rs, or that the md'rs there bristle at a spot that new as the 1950s ....... I assure you, it's been hit.

Last edited:

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey phish no invite!? Lol. Hope life's been good for ya brother. Maybe we can get out and hunt again sometime.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and Tom in CA, I bet it hadnt been hunted before. Chelan county is out there. LOL. Furthermore, your statement that any good spot has probably been researched and hit, I disagree. Please enlighten me. Before you respond, no hard feelings. I am just trying to pick the mind of a more experienced detectorist than myself

OP
OP
phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
beings that the group altogether found 6 rings, COUNTLESS pennies, Countless dimes of all years, SILVER coins.
Not sure of the count, but i do know MY ring is the best looking one lol! (to me atleast because its on my wifes finger.)

Sorry Jsmith, i rode with my Aunt & uncle.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Oh and Tom in CA, I bet it hadnt been hunted before. Chelan county is out there. LOL. Furthermore, your statement that any good spot has probably been researched and hit, I disagree. Please enlighten me. Before you respond, no hard feelings. I am just trying to pick the mind of a more experienced detectorist than myself

Jsmith, I will qualify my statement: If you are in an area where there's not a lot of hardcore researchers, bold-type-hunters, then yes, it's possible there's a virgin fairgrounds. Eg.: everyone just assumes you "can't hunt", and no one's ever tried, or simply gone in when the gates were open, etc...

Where I'm at, that place would not have been virgin. No matter what any current caretaker on duty thinks. It's common for school employees, rodeo ground employees, fairground people, etc... to say "no one's ever hunted this place before". But truth is, they just don't know.

One time I had a school employee tell me that I couldn't hunt there, because a little league game was about to start. They told me I could come back on another day or whatever. And then they added "... and you should do good, because no one's ever hunted here before". I asked them "what makes you think that?" (because I know it's been detected as far back as the 1960s even). The employee said "because I've never seen anyone here doing that". Well gee, that doesn't mean much. I mean, they're certainly not there 24x7 :)

But yes, It's possible to find a virgin fairgrounds here in the USA I suppose. Especially if it only dates to the 1950s, as that may be too new for some hardcore hunters. I've been in other parts of CA, and sometimes been surprised at how seemingly obvious stuff has been left pretty-much un-tapped. Just, I suppose, because it's remote areas that are far from big cities or numerous hobbyists. But in my part of the state, all the old abandoned parks and campgrounds have been studies and researched out ad-nauseum.

Yes, it's possible the employee is right, in your fairgrounds case.

Last edited:

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it Tom. Makes sense. I often am surprised that some spots I hunt produce so well and others are terrible. It usually turns out exactly the opposite of what I think it will. Lol

OP
OP
phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
every person that showed up, wether to hunt or just hang out. EACH paid $10 admission.

my $10 got my wife a new ring.

OP
OP
phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i am thinking about getting birthstones of her daughters and having them set in the ring after getting it sized.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread