what kind of camera or video do you fellows use???

Sep 21, 2013
Excelsior, mn
Detector(s) used
2 fisher 1280x
garrett ace 250
finally bought me a garrett at pro...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im looking to get a head mounted gopro or nikon 3100 digital... maybe both...i would like to put my items on youtube and also this forum...right now i have a 10 year cannon mini dv that uses the small cassette tapes....it works ok but want to upgrade....i also have a galaxy samsung 3 but no holder for a tripod...:safety-goggles: i think for now i may go the gopro silver addition because i like the wide angle lens... thanks in advance...im going to the hit a very old logging camp in two weeks and i was there once before with my fisher 1280X and i did ok...i know have upgraded to the garrett ace 250....i will use that this week just to test it out... im thinking i will just get it done and buy the garrett pro i think its called...i think i get get one for about 594.00 with some goodies from a&s detection net or kellyco...

thanks,
Gary

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have one yet, but I've heard GoPro mentioned on the boards quite a bit.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a Sony Cyber Shot DSC H20 and love it. It is full HD in stills and video. And the zoom is amazing if you need to take long range shots. I sell a lot on eBay so I need a camera that has a good macro for close up shots of small items and this camera is amazing. I bought mine at H.H. Gregg but you can google to see where to get one if this one interests you. I do know that if this camera ever breaks I will buy another one just like it.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Bart at bigboyshobbies, he's a vendor on here and will beat that price by a mile. Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a GoPro Hero 3 and haven't decided if I like it or not. The camera seems to work fine but I can't get the downloaded software to work correctly. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good Windows XP based editing program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my cell phone (Razr Maxx HD) and it works alright, but I'm thinking I'll need to upgrade pretty soon if I continue making videos.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the GoPro hero 2 it is water proof and I also have the dive housing. You will see that most reality shows are shot using this camera fastened everywhere on everything. It is a great camera and I use it on my Bike and kayak and when diving under water relic hunting or metal detecting.
The downside is you do not have a view finder and when videoing say relics or artifacts you can not zoom in on your find.... If you enjoy making an action adventure hunt it works great. If you are going to sit and talk about your find then I suggest something with a view finder and zoom. I put all my vids to music and do not talk but use sub titles. Say I detect in a creek hit a bullet I go under water and show the retrieval and come back up and use a sub title that says "Enfield". You can talk if you like but you can not zoom or see exactly what you are pointing at. But the quality is fantastic. I can wi fi it to my phone if I wanted and use my phone as a view finder and control it from a downloaded touch screen. The go pro is a real action camera. Sony makes one that may be easier to master.
Just my humble opinion and hope this helps. What ever you get I suggest go water proof.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a SONY and a GOPRO. The Sony has been a mainstay for a few years now. The Gopro is new and I am still learning it. I use Adobe Premier Elements 10 to do the editing. This combo seems to work for me.... as you can see by the numerous You Tube vids I have posted. (Terry Cieszki on YouTube. TTC

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terri
The Go Pro has a learning curve to be so small doesn't it? . It can do a lot others cannot.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a gopro3 but don't like it very much. It tends to "fish eye" the pictures. I also use a Canon SC 30IS, it's a hybrid between the inexpensive types and a dslr. Does good with zoom and shoots hi def videos. When I'm serious I use a full frame Canon XHA1S set in hi def.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terri
The Go Pro has a learning curve to be so small doesn't it? . It can do a lot others cannot.
Yes. The Gopro seems to be the one used most often in those ACTION shots I see on TV. Smokey, the fish-eye effect is easily modified by changing the xtra wide angle view to one more suitable for the shot. I foresee the Gopro becoming my camera-of-choice once I figure it out. Tnx. TTC

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Contour ROAM2 or Contour+2 Waterproof Video Camera. I've been thinking about getting a camera to record my MD & Fishing. This camera is very small and round, not square like GoPro. They also have a baseball cap mount. Check it out on Amazon

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have an REI store in your state & your a co-op memeber I would buy it from them,you'll get a nice divaden check back the following year.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry C. thanks for the tip. the problem with the GO PRo is their manual which has to be downloaded. And then found again once I printed it out.....I do motion pictures in my "spare time", whatever that is, so I have 4 licensed copies of the Adobe Premier 6. We'll just use that to clean up the shots.

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the gopro 3 black, although its my first action camera I love it, I have the LCD backpak ( view finder ) and the battery backpak.

Only thing I don't like about it is the battery life SUCKS, 45 minutes to an hour 15 minutes, depending on the settings, so unless you make that big find within that time limit or fool around with turning the camera on and off after each find, you'll run out if battery life.

Video is great, I have not used it enough to try any editing software yet so I can't comment on how easy or hard that is.

OP
OP
M
Sep 21, 2013
Excelsior, mn
Detector(s) used
2 fisher 1280x
garrett ace 250
finally bought me a garrett at pro...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone for all your input, i will just have to do some homework and make a decision now...

thanks,
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread