Am I Ever Going To Find Anything But Coins With My Xterra 305

usa2stay

Aug 10, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Xterra 305
Xterra 705
For four years, beaches, parks, dirt roads, yards I have found nothing but coins (all clad). The quarters read 40 on the screen and dimes 32. I have found lots of junk pull tabs, nails, shotgun shells, aluminum cans, etc. Certainly it could be that I just not have come across any jewelry. Mostly I want to know, am I using the wrong machine. The box that the MD came in shows lots of jewelry, but is that just hype? Thanks!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet is to search areas that are more likely to have jewelry in them. Swimming areas are the #1 spot. Sports areas are also a good place. I just noticed that you joined in Aug of 2011 and this is only your second post?? Not much to say eh?? :laughing7: Hey, I'd rather hunt than type too! Keep at it.....you'll run across some jewelry sooner or later.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you want jewelry stick with the beach. I would concentrate on the most heavily populated beaches, hit them right before sunset. If you don't find any jewelry I would be surprised. Now finding gold, thats a whole other story.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only found one silver and maybe 5 rings. I found every ring in or near a tot lot. I may have passed over many by not digging every tab signal but somedays i just get to tired to dig all of them.

OP
OP
U

usa2stay

Aug 10, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Xterra 305
Xterra 705
Thanks to all of you! This is both comforting and encouraging. It is amazing how quickly your entire outlook changes when you find something like a coin. This is terrific advice from all. Yes, I'm busted. I have been around since 2011. I will try to be more communicative in the future. Again, many thanks and God Bless America!!!

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Keep us updated on your finds, when you find a ring (I am sure you will!) be sure to show pics :hello2:

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain. I have found very, very few old coins and can count them on one hand. Your detector is a very capable detector and I am sure if/when you ever come onto something other than clad coins you will find and dig it.

S

stefen

Thanks to all of you! This is both comforting and encouraging. It is amazing how quickly your entire outlook changes when you find something like a coin. This is terrific advice from all. Yes, I'm busted. I have been around since 2011. I will try to be more communicative in the future. Again, many thanks and God Bless America!!!

In answer to your profound question...you are destined to find all kinds of junk, trash, pull tabs and, on occasion, something worth crowing about...

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a local clbbs and join it, the members will be helpful. Find someone in the club to take you out hunting and also look here for a buddy. Getting out with others helped me a lot.

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to find older coins and relics then don't forget to spend some time researching. I love historic aerials or google earth (has timeline feature but not back very far). my town has a historical facebook page that is full of info of what used to be and where. I've found my old coins in park that was farmed field once and old farm properties that have been cleared away. I pulled right up to cornfield one day while farmer was harvesting and asked permission. he said have at it after he was done. found 1908 dime! several wheaties and old fired 2-3 ringer.

SaludaTeacha

Feb 19, 2011
Leesville, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like someone else said, put some jewelry down and practice. Don't get too discouraged. Not everyone finds jewelry like crazy. I've found very little too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, what discrimination settings are you using? You might be knocking out a lot of gold items trying to avoid trash.

Don't do that. Lots of trash = very small amounts of gold. Nasty formula, but accurate.

Also, you might want to invest in the small high frequency coil. It has great senstivity to very small gold items (and trash).

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in the half year I've been detecting I've found 4 junk earings (1 at park, three at beach dry sand), junk bangle bracelet (beach sand), junk gold colored ring (beach sand), and junk necklace (old home property). I have recovered two lost gold rings in area they were reported lost. like others have said, if it's there you'll find it, just don't be to picky with signals. kinda hard for me to be picky with beep/dig machine (i don't discriminate to much).

OP
OP
U

usa2stay

Aug 10, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Xterra 305
Xterra 705
Thank you for your comment. I don't have a clue how to knock any frequencies. As far as I know I still have the factory settings on the machine. I did buy a smaller coil which Kellyco recommended for black sand beaches. I have not been to a black sand beach since I bought it though. What would the higher frequency do to help me in parks etc?

OP
OP
U

usa2stay

Aug 10, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Xterra 305
Xterra 705
Well thanks to everyone's words of encouragement, I have been going out almost everyday. I have found several clad coins, the oldest being 1979 so maybe I am getting closer. Again thanks!

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if anyone said it there are lots of good posts and posters here. If your not finding any nickels then you wont find gold. I have a 305 it finds jewelry just fine, Setup your disc low enough to find nickels (use one from your pocket to get started its a low Disc level.) and that should get you in the gold range. Use no disc. if you can stand it in areas that seem to have less trash, but if there's trash then there was people and that's when things are lost. You seem determined and that helps good luck and HH. Don.

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what Don said. 7 kHz is general good frequency. I believe your smaller coil is 18khz which is better geared for gold/jewelry (AT Gold is at similar freq) and I think its smaller which should help in trashy areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread