Newbie First Time Out

fortitudine

Greenie
Oct 8, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
So I've been lurking around for a month or so learning from all you folks. I've been bit by the bug pretty bad, and I finally went out and got a Garrett Ace 350. I know the 350 has mixed reviews, but it's what I was willing to invest in a new hobby.

I went out today for my first practice hunt and learned a few lessons. I picked an area nearby that I think hasn't been hunted before. It was an industrial complex that was demolished in the 70's. Problem was that the ground was hard packed dirt, gravel and concrete. Digging was a nightmare, and I was getting so many signals from rusty iron that I couldn't distinguish anything valuable. I realized that without a pin-pointer, I didn't know how deep to dig, which was a pain with the gravel. So, I came back with a few pieces of rusty iron and decided that I need a pin-pointer before I go hunt the good spot I've got lined up for Friday.

Anyways, thanks everyone for all the awesome info you put on this forum!

-Jeff

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
When you're hunting in an area like that with lots of trash you're not gonna enjoy it at all if your ace is binging on every piece of crap scrap you swing over. In junky areas like that I prefer to discriminate a lot more on the ACE, notch it out so you don't hear so much binging and pick out the higher tones that are repeatable. I don't use a pin pointer but I can't see it being very useful in a trashy area anyway.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

OP
OP
F

fortitudine

Greenie
Oct 8, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
When you're hunting in an area like that with lots of trash you're not gonna enjoy it at all if your ace is binging on every piece of crap scrap you swing over. In junky areas like that I prefer to discriminate a lot more on the ACE, notch it out so you don't hear so much binging and pick out the higher tones that are repeatable. I don't use a pin pointer but I can't see it being very useful in a trashy area anyway.

Irishgoldhound, I think my biggest problem was starting in an area where digging was so difficult. With so much garbage it was hard to know exactly where to dig, or how deep. It would have been much easier with a pinpointer to at least know where the metal was in the hold so I wouldn't have to simply keep digging.

Also, any recommendations for a digging tool? I'm looking for something practical and strong, that maybe can be found at a home improvement or hardware store. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
F

fortitudine

Greenie
Oct 8, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks, vpnavy! I just added my location. I'm currently in Chicago, IL, but plan to hunt mostly in the outlying counties. I'm going out tomorrow, so hopefully I can post up my first finds (not including the garbage I dug this week) over the weekend.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the Granite State!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you can afford a lesche digging tool it'll be the only one you'll ever need. Solid air craft steel that will not bend. Cuts through roots and makes nice clean cut plugs. I keep mine sharp with a bench grinder just give it a light sharpening once in a while. And it makes a nice piece of security when you're out alone. A teenager came up to me in a school field and thought I was carrying a bowie knife. Lol. Just keep swinging and you'll be a master of your machine in no time.

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Ames garden trowel from THDepot, has green handle and sharp jagged teeth on one side. Cuts roots easy. around $9. been good so far. WheN I hit the motherload, I'll upgrade my tools. LOL Not sure if the pinpointer will help you with how deep to dig. I sink my dig tool down as far as I can get it and then make the plug and flip. it's usually right around the hole or still in plug. that's where pinpointer comes in handy. rather than using your detector to see if item is in plug or hole you use the pinpointer to get close to it and find the object. kinda like warm- hot- hotter. sometimes the coin or item blends in with dirt. Now the pinpointer could tell you if it's right near surface and you could just pop out coin. my HF one has about an inch-two in range depending how I set sensitivity. I'm not as experienced as some here but hope that helps.

OP
OP
F

fortitudine

Greenie
Oct 8, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks AC1955!

Irishgoldhound and louie4, I actually picked up the Ames garden trowel from Home Depot today before heading out. I'll go for an upgrade when it breaks. It performed great, and held up well prying large stones from the ground. I'm still considering the pinpointer after today, simply to reduce digging time. It seemed like I spent an average of 5 minutes or slightly more per hole. Yeah, I'm a newbie, but that still seems rather long. All together, I dug a ton of trash, and my first coin! It was a rusty Jefferson nickel from a creek bed :sadsmiley:.

I did, however, learn quite a bit about my machine. I started to understand the tones I was hearing, and how they corresponded to what I dug up. The best lesson, I think, was learning the pinpoint function. I'm not sure if all the Ace 350's are the same, but the center point for mine in the pinpoint function was not as the manual stated (the first square opening in front of the pole). Rather, mine was about 2 inches BEHIND the pole. I probably spent an entire hour fruitlessly digging in the wrong place before I figured this out.

All in all, I had a great time, and I'm definitely hooked. I can't stop researching new places to hunt (which is far more difficult than I had initially anticipated). Thanks again for the advice!

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had the Ames green handled garden tool for six months now. Best $9.00 I ever spent. I've sharpened mine twice now and if you don't use them for a pry bar the will last a very long time.

OP
OP
F

fortitudine

Greenie
Oct 8, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I've used the Ames garden tool on several outings now and I agree, for the price it can't be beat.

On a different note, anyone got any suggestions for waterproofing a Garrett Pro-pointer? I was thinking some gorilla tape over the button and speaker, and a rubber o-ring on the battery plug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions