Detecting after BP spill?

OP
OP
B

BDL69

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard with all the cleaning they did to the beaches it's hardly worth detecting.....I could be totally wrong however. Don't have a lot of experience detecting yet.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They didn't strip-mine the beaches, they basically just raked the oil soaked sand off. There have been a lot of people back on the beaches since then, but as with ALL beaches, there are a lot of variables at play.

Tackleberry

Jan 9, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I personally worked on a team for the beach clean up after the spill. Gulf shores got hit the hardest. They would take the first couple feet of sand and filter every bit of it.
However, there has been plenty of time and people back on the beaches to replenish the goodies. Pensacola area did not see as much oil and not as much clean up.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, they were saying the effects of the spill would last for years and years...either they didn't know what they were talking about or they were lying.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in Biloxi back in May and hunted about 1/2 mile of beach from shore to road and I have to say it wasn't worth the effort. I was told they haul in sand for the beach so if that was true i know why

OP
OP
B

BDL69

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread