What kind of depth?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hole lot of veritable` s to depth,soil moist/dry,materialization machine, and knowledge are just a few...newly planted coins don`t read that good.Get out in the back yard and look for some stuff and see.
Gary

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G.A.P. hits it right on - you need to be more specific. Mild or mineralized soil, coin sized target versus aluminum can or iron bucket? Large coil, small coil, etc.? I've used detectors that struggle to get 8" on a quarter in the ground easily detect an old, buried car battery at nearly 2 feet in the ground, gallon sized, rusted tin can loud and clear at a measured 17" and so forth. A very general, average would probably be around 6" on a dime, 8" on a quarter, 10 - 12 inches on a half or dollar assuming they're all laying flat in the ground and in reasonable soil. These figures can vary by an inch or two depending on the detector used and the other variables that can come into play such as ground balance, sensitivity setting, discrimination setting or all metal mode.
luvsdux

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering what kind of depth everyone's getting. I'm central oklahoma, I don't want start
Another brand thread , but will be doing some more testing in my test garden.was not very
Impressed tonight with my results .
On top of the ground to about 25 feet depending on which detector I'm using and the size of the target. :laughing7:

rabbitt46

Aug 13, 2012
Tonasket, Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Eureaka Gold
Minelab, GPX 4500
Minelaab X terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which detector, type of ground, and weather make a lot of difference. I get 6 to 24 inches w VLF, and deeper with PI.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Basic rule of thumb on mid-priced detectors: coin sized targets with accurate TID information = 6 inches. Large targets and smaller targets with increasingly inaccurate TID will signal as you go deeper.

High priced detectors with the right coil, you can get accurate TID information up to 10" in the right conditions.

Thats just averages. Individual results will vary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread