First time with a metal detector

tlcro

Greenie
Sep 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spent many hours reading everyone's posts and trying to learn things from the huge amount of experience on this site. I was mainly interested in bottles and never thought about metal detecting until I found this site. Anyway, happened to find a cheap md at a yard sale so I picked it up for $10.00 and figured I could at least practice before I put money into something better. Sorry for rambling.. but went out on somefamily land to try it out. Found about 20 nails before I figured out how to eliminate them. Found lots of other trash too. But, I did find a few good things! I found 2 1943 wheat pennies, a 1941 dime, a leatherman wave that must have just been dropped when hay was cut. Even found a few bottles. Anyway, was a lot fun and I just wanted to share. Tried to add pics but getting a system crash error? Looks like one posted...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131011_194256.png
    ForumRunner_20131011_194256.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's better than nothing but you weren't kidding when you said you bought a cheap garage sale model :-) Do the same thing though, maybe make a small mark on your screen where a dime, quarter, nickel, gold, etc lands. The sound maybe the same but the needle won't be

OP
OP
T

tlcro

Greenie
Sep 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's better than nothing but you weren't kidding when you said you bought a cheap garage sale model :-) Do the same thing though, maybe make a small mark on your screen where a dime, quarter, nickel, gold, etc lands. The sound maybe the same but the needle won't be

Thanks for the advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread