Opinion on headphones

alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have pretty much made up my mind on my next detector, now I'm kind of going through the same thing trying to decide on some good headphones.
What's your opinion on headphones for dry land hunting. I see there are Grey Ghost Original and Ultimate's. Jolly Roger Ultimate's, Killer B's. When it says "Ultimate" is there a big difference.
I would appreciate any feedback or opinions.
Thank you very much, David

Upvote 0

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried any of those headphones, but i did try two other corded headphones before I went cordless. I use tdk cordless headphones and will not go back to corded.

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
Same here never tried any of those you listed but I did buy a pair of the Treasure Wise headphones and for the price you can't beat them.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
richbat, wouldn't offend you for the world, but there is a huge difference in the sound. I can't tell a big difference in Gray Ghost or Killer B's as far as the sound but I also have a set of the Treasure Wise and there is no comparison on the sound quality. I got a set of the treasure wise on a trade for a G2 that had never been used. I compared them to my Killer B's and there is a world of difference. The Treasure Wise appear to have a descent build quality and are comfortable but when it comes to clarity and sound quality they fall far short. I do realize that it just may be the model I got, but anyway it is not a subtle difference. That doesn't mean they don't suite you, just not for me. From a comfort and durability stand point I like the Killer B's. Even descent earbuds like Skull Candy are pretty awesome in sound quality but really loud if you do not have a volume control on the detector like the G2. You can just turn down the volume on the phones. My T2 isn't as loud and I pretty much run detector and phones wide open. I have damaged my hearing a bit from years of ..... you guessed it ....shooting. I am not one to get in the arguments on my detector is better than your detector because different hunters put different demands on their machines. With headphones it is just about the sound quality, noise blocking, and comfort. :icon_thumleft: ...................woops, had to edit and throw in durability.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been happy with Grey Ghost originals and Nugget Busters. Originally used Calrads that were included with the detectors. Adequate, but sound tinny and hollow compared to the Grey Ghosts. The full sized Garretts that have been available for years are pretty decent for the price IMO, but I've had several failures with those. I picked up an older set of Koss phones intended for detectors off Ebay a while back and they're pretty decent, but haven't seen them listed new anywhere. IMHO, any headphone that works is a great improvement over trying to detect without. Headphones really put you "at one" with your detector.
luvsdux

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have a few pair if the Sunray Gold Pro's. They are a great option as well.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have Killer Bs and recently bought Black Widows. Sound wise, I feel there is a difference between the stock Garrett headphones and the Killer Bs, but I cannot tell a real difference between the Black Widows and Killer Bs sound wise. The Black Widows are definitely less top heavy then the Garrett headphones and don't slide down the ears like the CTX 3030 stock headphones. Comfort wise, the Black Widows are tops so far for me. Less adjusting equals more detecting time.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IHO - If you buy a decent detector, the headphones work great. I have never bought after market headphones and I do quite well!!!!!

OP
OP
A

alldugup

Sep 3, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone for your comment's. I will be purchasing my next detector from one of the supporting Vendor's and I see that some offer the Grey Ghost or Jolly Rogers as a package with the machine I plan on getting. I would upgrade if there was a big difference to one that say's "Ultimate" if its that much better. Also, I would try something else if there is a set of headphones that stand's above the rest. My hearing is very bad and sometimes a little extra might help a lot.
Thanks again everyone and HH, David

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a light-weight set of phones (Phillips SHS5200) that seat on the back of my head, and the arms sit on my ears like a pair of backward sunglasses - got the picture? 8-)
Very comfortable, cheap AND you can hear outside noises too! You can wear most any hat, and the phones are cool to wear in the heat of the summer - no sweat! =)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idk much about headphones, but isn't the higher ohms the better quality sound. Mine has separated volume control for each ear. I would like to go cordless so headphones don't get pulled off , but a little concerned about interference . May be you should try several headphones at the dealers.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Idk much about headphones, but isn't the higher ohms the better quality sound. Mine has separated volume control for each ear. I would like to go cordless so headphones don't get pulled off , but a little concerned about interference . May be you should try several headphones at the dealers.

The impedance (ohms) of a set of headphones have nothing to do with the quality of sound. You have to match the impedance of the headphones with the output impedance of the amplifier to get the maximum sound/quality out of a system. With headphones you have a little more lead way typically than you do with speakers. Several factors produce better sound like voice coils, magnets and the material the speaker is made from.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried most of them over the years but my favorite are the SunRay Gold Pros

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Killer B & Sun Rays have better volume knobs hands down over the Grey Ghost, Jolly Rogers Detector Pro headphones. Much finer detents 46 to 48 fine detents to control volume, they just have way more even control over the headphones volume. This is the only reason I steer clear of detector Pro brand headphones don't care for there volume knobs.They seem to produce most of there volume at the upper end of the control and a bigger blast on the last detent compared to the rest of the detents percentage wise. This is a rather miner thing but important to me. I also like the tone of the Killer B & Sun Ray phones better.

Killer B, Sun Ray & Detector Pro headphones all are great build quality though and back there products.

Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions