DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone...
I am new at this hobby and I am finding myself more and more addicted to dig. I have been thinking about old places to MD and there are a few old abandoned cemeteries and I am not familiar with the code of conduct on this. I obviously do not want to dig up anything under a tombstone, but the outlying grounds along the grass grown paths? I don't want to offend anyone, just looking for direction and answers?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
go for it the ghost wont hurt ya

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are many other to places to detect... :)

Outlying grounds should be fine, though.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a cemetery nearby me that was a c.w. fort. In the 1960's the grave diggers were the biggest civil war buffs in town. its because every time they dug a grave , they found a ton of stuff. The manager of the cemetery was my neighbor and I asked him if we could search around the graves if no one was around. He said yes. So we did. We found .58 drops and yankee buttons. It never felt right to me. I could go back today and find stuff but wont do it. Don't do it. There are better places to go.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging in, or around a graveyard is going to get you arrested sooner or later. It is bad ju-ju no matter how you look at it. Bad for you, bad for our hobby. That is my honest opinion. Seriously folks, you KNOW it is just not right under any circumstance.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not abandoned their are dead people buried there, they didnt vacate when someone stopped keeping up the yard. Is it ok to detect your front yard if your living in the house but not keeping up the yard?

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really, this question again? Cemetary's are sacred ground, abandoned or not....what would you think if someone was digging your loved ones final resting place? Research the posts on Tnet, and see what the feelings about this are.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those graveyards are recorded in your County Archives and are not to be dug in!! clean it mow it but don`t dig in it please
Gary

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a good note, you may find a unmarked grave and you can dig out grandma's gold fillings. I hear Reservation land is full of stuff too, they just shoot you there if you get caught. I think we need a IQ test for the hobby.

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been searching an old church for almost a year now. It has a very large cemetery that dates back to the revolutionary war. It is very tempting but I will not go near it . Sacred ground. Very bad karma. There are plenty of other places to search.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't dig around graves but see no problem detecting the outside areas.

Poppa Relic

Jun 26, 2013
North Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just detect around the boundary lines and in the wagon roads leading into the area. Respect the people who were here before us. Take pictures and research the dates on the stones. You could be surprised what you may find out and learn of who was buried there. Look for Civil War ranks. Have fun!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If ita away from public veiw such as in the middle of the woods, have at it. I wouldnt think twice.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are pros and cons. To some it's sacred ground to others it is just a burial site. I hunted at an old poor farm where there are over 100 poor people buried. At one time they all had separate graves then they dug them all and made a mass grave with one headstone that don't even mention the names. That place couldn't have been too sacred to the county officials that decided a mass grave was good enough and made the decision to move all the remains to it.

I was even asked to detect at a cemetery where civil war soldiers were buried by historical society. They wanted to see if i could find relics or buttons near by. Couldn't have been too scared to them. Look at the archeologists that dig ancient graves. So it's ok to do that but not ok to look for an old coin dropped during a burial service.

It's really not like your hurting anything or the boogie man will get you. officials won't even give it a 2nd thought if they want to build a road through a cemetery or use the land for another use. the general public feels it is desecration if you detect in a cemetery.

I personally see no harm in it but do to respect to the people whose loved one are buried there i don't.

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a good note, you may find a unmarked grave and you can dig out grandma's gold fillings. I hear Reservation land is full of stuff too, they just shoot you there if you get caught. I think we need a IQ test for the hobby.

Perhaps you didn't "Read" my post. I stated that I didn't want to offend anyone, and I did not nor am I interested in digging around a tombstone, however, the outlying grass covered overgrown pathways.
I did not post here to get your pathetic response of an "IQ" test, but to inquire with experienced individuals about the do"s and don't"s.
However, every group has the person like you that would rather belittle rather that guide.
Nice job!

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not dig in the graveyard, but I would check any large shade trees in the other area. When the gravediggers dug them by hand they would set under the trees to rest. So when they would pull out their hankerchief to wipe off the sweat sometimes it would pull out change with it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Precisely why cemetery threads get locked.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH MY :BangHead:

Members need to read Closer :
I obviously do not want to dig up anything under a tombstone,
but the outlying grounds along the grass grown paths?

No wonder the threads get Locked :(

Thanks Treasure_Hunter :thumbsup:

& welcome mus1k4u !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions