DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

I just bought a pin pointer and am excited to use it this weekend as I believe it will make my digs much easier. However, I have a question in regards to the Treasure Probe, (Looks like a screwdriver to me), is it necessary? and how does it work? It states targeting is much easier with it? Only if I happen to hit the target with it correct? Help!???

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the closer you get the more it should vibrate. Only the tip is sensitive so you know if your on the target. practice with it a lil bit 1st so you get the idea. I am a Garrett pr pointer and it's worth it's weight in gold

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're referring to a non electrical, ice pick or screwdriver type probe they can be useful for determining the exact location of a target after pinpointing with the detector. You just probe the area carefully until you feel the tip contact the target. At that point you know pretty much how deep it is and exactly where it's at. However, if you get in the practice of using the electronic pinpointer regularly, you'll seldom to never bother using the probe. I've used both, but seldom carry a probe anymore.
luvsdux

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! It is very much appreciated! I'm going to stick with the pin pointer for now and really practice with it this weekend!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah a probe is great for scratching your most valuable finds. Nothing like sticking a piece of metal blindly into the ground and scratching that key date piece of silver you dream about finding! You will be fine with the pin pointer by itself, dig a nice 3 sided plug around the target and the grass will live and no one will know you were ever there. Good luck!

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suppose a probe would be very handy if you were given permission to hunt a piece of property which you suspect to be a very good site, but we're told you couldn't dig up plugs in order to retrieve any finds?

Key date coins are not the norm, and the probe would help immensely in a situation like this.

Just a thought...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah a probe is great for scratching your most valuable finds. Nothing like sticking a piece of metal blindly into the ground and scratching that key date piece of silver you dream about finding! You will be fine with the pin pointer by itself, dig a nice 3 sided plug around the target and the grass will live and no one will know you were ever there. Good luck!

Probes don't damage coins if you use them correctly! Back in the "old days" those were all we had. You didn't use an ice pick, or anything else sharp. The REAL probes had tiny ball on the tip to prevent gouging. PLUS, you don't stab or pry with with. You probe straight down into the ground where the target is supposed to be, and work outward in a spiral until you find it (great for coins, sucks for rings!). When you do touch a coin with the tip, you can feel the metal. It feels different from roots, dirt and most rocks.

I still use an old-school probe along with my pinpointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread