XLT and salt water?

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's not the best choice..but workable..

really close to water/in you'll have falsing issues at times play with sens..ect and you'll find it's workable.My buddy has been using his in wet sand right up to breaking surf and doing ok..he got a nice 14k gold band a few weeks ago@ a very good depth!!so you should do ok...I think he said something about freq. shift/adj made a difference when he changed it....said some thing about 7?? if that makes sense to ya?? I'll ask him tonight and give you the exact setting he is using. Talk to ya latter!

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my XLT to Padre Island in January and it did great. The two adjustments I made to the standard Jewelry/Beach program were to set the AC Sensitivity down to around 57 or 58 and I turned the Pre Amp Gain up to 4. That combination seemed to give me good depth without a lot of false signals.

Also, here is some advice I got from others on this site about beach hunting with the XLT.

Cover the control unit, it isn't waterproof. I used both Saran Wrap and plastic bags from HEB along with electricians tape. Both seemed to work well. The idea is to prevent rain/blowing sand or other moisture from getting into the electronics. Make sure to take it off every evening to dry out and not get condensation in the works.

The coil is waterproof, but I didn't go more than ankle deep in the water.
Be careful about inverting the unit while digging or in the water so water doesn't run back down the rods to the electronics.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
I did not forget about the settings for you..

I just could not reach my buddy last night...I will see him tonight I'm going over to take photos of his finds.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
I sent you a PM.

WITH THOSE SETTINGS...HOPE THEY HELP!!! GOOD LUCK!! ;D

OP
OP
luckysgirl

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Thanks so much for your help!! I'm looking forward to finding lots of good stuff... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions