Parks backfilled or raised

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been hitting a lot of the local parks where I grew up. Lots of targets showing up but so much junk. I even went to a school that i went to that both of my parents attended. I went out back where the football field was, and is now a parking lot. The baseball field which was the only one around was still there but looked different. I finally realized the field was at
East two feet higher than it used to be. No wonder targets were showing up so damned deep, that i passed up most of them. Ok, off to the oldest park in town and i start hitting the grassy areas around the baseball fields and the shallowest i get anything is 6 inches and again so darn much trash in and above the ground. After an hour and a bag full of trash and a few coins, i sit down for a drink and realize this field has also been raised up some. It looks like many park fields in town have been raised up the same way.
I find more garbage in the suburban parks than in the Chicago parks.

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not all that uncommon. I was at a park the other day and they were hauling in load after load of dirt to raise the low spots.

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of parks have been filled or tilled and re turfed. the huge problem we have in Cali. is foil from candy wrappers. this is masking out all the goodies below and is not as easy to dig up as a pop top. Our kids need a civics lesson on litter something terrible. look around for somewhere they did not bother to fill.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in a EPA superfund site where all the parks had the top 6 inches of soil removed and then refilled. No wonder I have a tough time finding anything old or anything in general. I feel your pain.

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most areas in town here are less than 20 years old and were old farms. When the land was subdivided the topsoil was stripped and then brought back in after homes were build.
The amount of foil wrappers and aluminum cans that were shredded by lawn mowers in all the parks is terrible. The parks all have garbage cans but people do to seem to use them. I hunted a spot the other day that was an old farm house, the basement and septic were filled in with gravel and sit that way today. The whole area around it is covered with aluminum cans that were shredded by the parks guys on mowers. Is it that hard to stop and pick something like that up? After all it is a safety issue having a shredded can laying on the ground.

Ok, done with my rant.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a shame.

I recently went to a old area where I thought they were leveling the lot down. Went and asked the neighbor who told me that they were actually raising it 3 feet.

Has anyone actually detected moved dirt and found coins/relics in the NEW topsoil that was being moved in?

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but when i go detecting someplace and see Ana reA that was freshly excavated i dig that first.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the parks that I hunt were renovated back in the 1980s. A lot of back-filling took place. Look for exposed tree roots to find areas that haven't been tampered with.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a shame.

I recently went to a old area where I thought they were leveling the lot down. Went and asked the neighbor who told me that they were actually raising it 3 feet.

Has anyone actually detected moved dirt and found coins/relics in the NEW topsoil that was being moved in?
Yes, I have, many times. The "new" dirt has to come from somewhere! In some parks, the dirt is moved from one area to another with very little filtering. I've been to some towns where they have renovated their parking strips by removing the dirt and then refilling that area with dirt they brought in from a previous project. Depending on where the dirt came from, you can score some nice older coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions