Any Detroit MD Treasure Hunters Out There? Silver Coins & Relics Everywhere?

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Okay, Motor City Dwellers, as a West Coast guy into financial & business news, all I have heard and seen in the last several years on the news is all the vacant housing, tear downs, and complete neighborhoods that were bulldozed in the Detroit area. Is there anyone harvesting all the goodies that lurk beneath the ground in those areas?

There must be a treasure trove of silver coins, jewerly, and relics in the ground of those now blighted areas. I even looked in the Michigan forum and can't find anyone talking about metal detecting in the torn down intercity neighborhoods. It seems like the area would take an army of MD'ers and still not get it all.

It would be interesting to hear who is finding what, if not, why? Too dangerous because of crime? Not allowed? Or What? Or maybe you are MD'ing it and I didn't scroll through enough of the Michigan forum.

20100427_detroit5_83780435_23.jpg -- 628x471.jpg

slide8.jpg -- bildeSite=C3&Date=20110407&Category=OPINION03&ArtNo=104070334&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Detroit-s.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a landlord in Detoilet and yes I carry when I detect. I have several parks that are in old very bad areas that produce, but you are always looking behind you. The best time is 7 am till noon- then the druggies wake up. Lots of mercs and wheaties, occasional standing lib quarters. I've even hit some areas in Highland Park- the trash was OVERWHELMING!! Safety in numbers is helpful but not always. I also detect foreclosed homes but the grass is high and the garbage is unbelievable. And stray dogs.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like target rich areas, but not without risk.......agree with post above, body armor and weapson for all with an overwatch with adequate firepower, who is not MDing...
Given the depraved evil souls there with no regard for life, it remains unclear to me that a few pieces of silver are worth the risk........even with adequate force protection, you cannot eliminte risks from stray fire, drive by fire, randon fire, and fire when you ingress or egress to AO.........

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much agree with most of the comments from people in the area. I have lived/worked and went to college in Detroit at some point or other in the last 30 years. It is a bad as everyone says. As much as I like finding old coins, it's not worth getting killed for.

Besdes Ric Savage already cleaned out all the treasure a few years ago,.

Happy hunting and stay safe.

Pete

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much agree with most of the comments from people in the area. I have lived/worked and went to college in Detroit at some point or other in the last 30 years. It is a bad as everyone says. As much as I like finding old coins, it's not worth getting killed for.

Besdes Ric Savage already cleaned out all the treasure a few years ago,.

Happy hunting and stay safe.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Who is Ric Savage? You mean that washed up wrestler? :) There is no way he could wrestle that many square miles of mess

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a joke. That fat a** did have an episode where he went to Detroit and dug out some old air filter cover from under a foot of concrete and amazingly it was full of coins and other treasure like old bills if I remember correctly. Boom Baby!!!!

Anyways there would/should be a lot of good detecting sights in the city, but in my opinion risk doesn't match the rewards. Value of life seems to be pretty low there.

Best Regards and Happy Hunting.

Pete

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Organize a group hunt and here's what you should do......
Pick the area you want to hunt and look for the biggest, tallest tree.
Build a tree stand and invite the Motor City Madman to watch over you.

Happy hunting!
Cheers,
Dave.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born and raised in Detroit and the surrounding area for 12.5 years before we moved. I was always finding coins on the ground, silver coins. There were several Polish, German parks and get together locations outdoors in the summer with rides for the kids and dancing for the older folks, I left one of those sites with nearly $20 in found money including silver certificates. That being said I was also at the Saturday matinee with my brother and had a fellow patron sit down next to me, put a knife in my side and told me I was blocking his view, my brother and I went home. As I understand it from everyone that left the area, it has only gotten worse. Given the chance I would pass on the opportunity, I might even drive into Canada to go around Detroit......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That being said I was also at the Saturday matinee with my brother and had a fellow patron sit down next to me, put a knife in my side and told me I was blocking his view, my brother and I went home. As I understand it from everyone that left the area, it has only gotten worse. Given the chance I would pass on the opportunity, I might even drive into Canada to go around Detroit......................63bkpkr

Wow!! Scary Stuff ... The last one out of Detroit turn out the lights

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live north of downtown in the burbs. plenty of treasures without risking your life do there....
myFOXDetroit.com - Detroit's Fox 2 - Fox 2 News Headlines
click on watch live
I think they had 700 murders last year and on pace to surpass that this year....
when people think of Detroit they think of south east Michigan, when really the city of Detroit is much smaller.
if you added the surrounding area's murders we would win top crappy city hands down every year...
on a side note you could just detect some of the suburbs parks. I go everyday not going to say which park but I haven't seen another detector there in the last 100 days at least....

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pretty sure your Mom and Grandma would be safe detecting in Troy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread