Getting permission or....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bejamble, good answer. So you WOULD trespass for certain purposes. Just not for detecting. The difference between us then is that you see detecting as inherently wrong , evil or askew. If someone starts with the premise that detecting isn't innocuous, then yes your answer would be the logical end. I guess I don't see detecting as inherently wrong and hated. Just as you don'tsee walking as inherently wrong .

Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJ state police work for the banks or their own self interest. Worked banked owned ground for 4 hours picking up all surface trash in my way(even non metallic). Got "Bullied" out by the prospective buyers brother(through social networking found out his brother who is a retired NJ state trooper) looking to buy it that cant even contact the banks original deed owner themselves..so like I said good luck. Not the first or last. Down with the eagle and up with the cross!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't call you stupid for the second time and I didn't tell you to do anything. I asked a simple question, I just want to know What makes it ok for you to hunt on property you don't own without permission?
When did I say it was ok? I said that's what I did. Is it ok to take those short cuts in the picture? How about taking a drink out of a fountain cup your filling up at a convenience store and then topping it off? There are all levels of whats right and wrong...do whats right for you...You never answered Toms question about the sidewalk short cuts...that tells me that your just trying to look good in front of everyone here on T-NET...the truth will set you free. :laughing7:

Last edited:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People on TreasureNet (well not just on TreasureNet) really amaze me. The original post was asking if it was ok to hunt on some one land without permission and how to get permission if not.

People who said they would hunt the land without asking are trespassing, no matter what they might think. They did not get permission from the land owner. Yes, I understand that most likely nothing will come of it in most case, but they are still hunting without permission, trespassing.

Yes different States have different laws about trespassing. It is up to each individual to know the laws where they live, as it is up to the land owner if wants to make changes against trespassers.

Then members turn this post into taking short cut off a sidewalk. If the short cut is not on public land, then it’s trespassing.

In one of the picture’s, it looks like the short cut is in a park, if so then it‘s public land. In two of the pictures the short cut may be on the road’s right a way, if so then it’s public land.

If the land is private in all or any of the pictures, the land owner must not care if people use the short cut or they would put some type of sign or barricade up.

Since I made a post to this thread and it is so important for others to know if I would use the short cuts in the pictures. I’ll answer without having to be asked. No I wouldn’t.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

People on TreasureNet (well not just on TreasureNet) really amaze me. The original post was asking if it was ok to hunt on some one land without permission and how to get permission if not.

People who said they would hunt the land without asking are trespassing, no matter what they might think. They did not get permission from the land owner. Yes, I understand that most likely nothing will come of it in most case, but they are still hunting without permission, trespassing.

Yes different States have different laws about trespassing. It is up to each individual to know the laws where they live, as it is up to the land owner if wants to make changes against trespassers.

Then members turn this post into taking short cut off a sidewalk. If the short cut is not on public land, then it’s trespassing.

In one of the picture’s, it looks like the short cut is in a park, if so then it‘s public land. In two of the pictures the short cut may be on the road’s right a way, if so then it’s public land.

If the land is private in all or any of the pictures, the land owner must not care if people use the short cut or they would put some type of sign or barricade up.

Since I made a post to this thread and it is so important for others to know if I would use the short cuts in the pictures. I’ll answer without having to be asked. No I wouldn’t.

cactusrat, thanx for answering that. If you would not step off the sidewalk in any of those pictures, then yes, by all means, you're being totally consistent. That's fine. And yes, there are people who wouldn't take those shortcuts. More power to them. Fine.

Then interestingly you say this:

"If the land is private in all or any of the pictures, the land owner must not care if people use the short cut or they would put some type of sign or barricade up."

I will let that statement speak for itself, as it pertains to the topic of this thread. :hello:

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have 700 abandoned houses in my city. The city is trying to get a grant to tear them down. Many of these houses date back to 1800's and early 1900's. The lots are not being taken care of at all. Would detecting on these properties be considered trespassing? The city allows metal detecting in the parks, I haven't asked about the houses yet, but if I just do it and pick up trash along the way, it will actually benefit the city.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

We have 700 abandoned houses in my city. The city is trying to get a grant to tear them down. Many of these houses date back to 1800's and early 1900's. The lots are not being taken care of at all. Would detecting on these properties be considered trespassing? The city allows metal detecting in the parks, I haven't asked about the houses yet, but if I just do it and pick up trash along the way, it will actually benefit the city.

robsfrd, you're asking several questions here. Not just one. For example, the question "would it be considered trespassing?". Well.... gee, I bet it would. So too would entering the public library after hours (or back rooms where only library employees are allowed, etc...) be considered "trespassing" EVEN though "city property". So the word "trespass" need not be confined to only private property. There are examples of public property where the public is not allowed (area 51 military base, for example, blah blah).

But as to the INTENT of your question (if I can read between the lines) of "does anyone really care?" The answer to that is probably "no one cares, till you ask". I have hit such eminent domain house's yard while they sat awaiting their eventual demolition. And found old coins. And no one cared. But is that to say that if I asked enough city bureaucrat's "can I?" that I might not have found a "no"? Of COURSE you can ALWAYS find a no, if you ask long enough and hard enough of enough bureaucrats. Even for the most innocuous of sandboxes, if you use the right combination of buzz-words, you will eventually find someone to say "no".

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually just called the city code enforcement division. The supervisor there stated that his division has been mowing the grass and weeding every 6-8 weeks. Technically the properties are under private owners who have abandoned and quit upkeep and paying taxes. City waiting on money to tear down. He said he would give me a list of the properties and could detect at my own risk, since technically there is a private owner. Most of these properties have been abandoned for years and are delinquent on taxes. I'm going to go for it.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt the houses and or land are owned by the city, more like the banks (a private company) who made loans on them.

The city can make laws and have the owners clean up the place or face big fines.

In the city I use to live in they went after old junk cars that hadn’t moved in a long time. The car owners had to pay to them haul off (which was cheaper than the fines) or remove than from public view.
So cities can make just about any law as it see fit.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be careful when on the property, at least have someone with you. Normally areas where there are large amounts of abandoned houses there is also a higher crime rate. Abandoned houses are used for all kinds of criminal activity.

I saw the international logo and was thinking Detroit hen realized Detroit has thousands and thousands more than what you states.

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a city firefighter, so yes, I am fully aware of the areas, and it's usually a few of us.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually just called the city code enforcement division. The supervisor there stated that his division has been mowing the grass and weeding every 6-8 weeks. Technically the properties are under private owners who have abandoned and quit upkeep and paying taxes. City waiting on money to tear down. He said he would give me a list of the properties and could detect at my own risk, since technically there is a private owner. Most of these properties have been abandoned for years and are delinquent on taxes. I'm going to go for it.
You've got something to keep you busy now...let us see what you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread