Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have. The old burnt coal they shoveled out everywhere drove me nuts. I ended up bailing out early.

Frankmacera87

Greenie
Oct 21, 2013
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did once found many peices of tin, and rusted nails. That was all I found, was hoping for coins or something since I had found an old childs sized lead ring. Never found anything else except the tin and nails. The ring was on a nearby wall on my way out from scouting.

prosson80

Oct 23, 2013
Nacogdoches & Tyler, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a train track location out on a friends land the other day. Went today for a little over an hour, found 4 large nails, a cpl square nuts, and a cpl pieces I can't seem to figure out yet but have yet to find a solution to clean all the rust off my junk lol. Trying the baking soda, lemon juice, and distilled vinegar but doesn't seem to do much of anything at all...Maybe i'll find something soon that doesn't have the rust!! But plan on going back out sometime very soon but the brush and mosquitoes are ridiculous even with tons of OFF on! lol.

Frankmacera87

Greenie
Oct 21, 2013
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heard a potato and dish soap works. Cut the potato in half and cover the cut end in dish soap. Place the potato soap end on the metal and leave it for a few hours. Scrub off and repeat cutting off the used portion of the spud. Sorry to high jack, might be useful if you get any rail spikes.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Just found two potential detecting spots within 12 miles of me. They are old train depots from late 1800's to early 1900's that are city owned grass lots now. $$$$$$ Anybody ever tried hunting these?

The ones I've done good at were ones that A) were for passenger use. As opposed to freight or commercial b) were long lived (not just a short-lived "whistle stop"), and c) had parks next to them.

In the old days, there was often-time city parks next to train stations. Those are the cases where I've found silver coins, and even one of my gold coins came from such a park. In one of the cases, the "park" didn't exist anymore. It was just a vacant lot. Fun fun :)

be2019

Oct 18, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious about our local Station, I checked on-line and found some old photographs and found that a lot of people were parking their buggies east of the depot with an old road that ran east of the station. So, I moved away from the station and had some luck. Around the station all I found were nails, pull tabs and a lot of other metal. Just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread