AT pro ---depth and tone variation

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a playground tonight at my apartment and I hit a bottle cap on the surface under grass. I was able to tell it was a bottle cap due to the iron grumbles accompanying the 81 VDI and high tone. I set the bottle cap on a patch of grass that had no other signals. As I raised the coil above the cap to about 5-6 inches the high pitched 81 changed to a mid tone 50-60s.

This got me thinking--- theres a lot of old spots that ive been going over with full sensitivity with minimal discrimination, listening for faint, repeatable, high pitch signals. Since these silver mercs and barbers are deeper that 5 inches, are they ringing up in the 50s instead of the high pitched 70's and 80's?

Am I missing these old, deep coins because I am cherry picking the high pitched signals? When seeking beginners advice for the AT pro just about everyone said to ignore the numbers and listen. Well ive been listening for faint high tones.....will deep silver and copper still ring up as a high pitch tone? (upper 70's VDI and greater)

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT pro does take some patience with deep signals. Best bet is to make a test patch if possible to test your signal readings. You may be fooled with unclean ground. Manual ground balance with a fine tuned iron discrimination helps as well. Or could just be crap ground that would take many visits to clear out the bogus metal. as for your suggested coin depth..its way off. I have found a 1864 2 cent and 1851 large cent in less than 4 inches. All depends on the soil content as to how far they will drop or rise during a frost.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine used an ATP for a few years,learned it well. He also learned that once the depth got past 5-6" with the 8.5x11 coil the numbers on wheats and silver dimes dropped like a rock(52-53 at times). He now has my old Explorer2...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions