Your best surface find?

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a metal detecting buddy that gets angry when he finds a lot of surface finds. Hell, I welcome it - no digging is a plus in my book. The last time I went out I found almost $3 in surface finds and $3 in underground finds. I loved it! However, my best surface find was a $20 bill.

What was your best surface find?

Upvote 0

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite/best so far is this token. I was visiting my uncle when he was doing some yard work years ago and I saw a round object I assumed was an electrical box punchout. Just out of curiosity I picked it up and rubbed it a little and saw some letters so I stuck it in my pocket to clean up with water and toothbrush at home. Was happy as hell when I saw it was a token from an old poolhall where I live. Here is a link to the token
D. McDONALD / POOL HALL / ELLIS, KAN (TC-263538) Ellis, Kansas (Ellis County), U.S.A.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doodle McDonald was a notorious gambler and he operated his pool hall in the basement of this building. I was told by a gentleman that remembers as a kid he would see gamblers hanging out trying to get a sucker to come down for a card game. the men standing along the basement steps railing look like the guys he described.

HICKEY FIXED - Copy (640x411).jpg

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting a beach some 25 yrs ago while on vacation with the now ex-wife and kids. As we were walking together back towards the car, I was frantically trying to find something valuable with the detector.
The ex bent down and picked something up and showed me the $20 dollar bill she found. Oh the irony..

Once driving home from work, I saw somebody's wallet strewn along the side of the road. I stopped and picked up the wallet and contents which included license and other important documents but no money.
I went up to the local police station to report the incident. After being interrogated as if I was the thief that stole it, I left the station and walked past someone that was sitting on the steps waiting for a ride.
I was parked about 20 feet away from the entrance. About half way to my car I looked down to see cash lying on the ground. I picked the bills up but didn't count them till I got to my car. About $17 if I recall.
I thought for sure it was some sort of set-up, how could the guy sitting 10ft away miss it?

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
I found this in my gravel drive way. It was dark and I heard my foot hit something so I got my flash light an picked it up took it in the house and couldn't believe it 1826

Attachments

• image-671827384.jpg
    image-671827384.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 137

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking along a dirt trail by an old railroad workers' camp, detecting as I went, when I got a dime reading on the machine. The depth meter said 0" so I just reached down and poked around with my probe. I hit something and picked it up thinking it was just a modern clad dime. Looking at it a bit closer, I found it was an 1876 seated dime! At least I didn't damage it too much....just a tiny pock mark. I did the same thing in an old park a few months later. I got a dime reading at the edge of a planter box that said 0" on the meter again. poked around and out popped a Barber dime! I decided not to poke coins with a probe anymore after that.... I now use the pin pointer instead.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1774 gold British guinea this past January. On top of the sand at the beach, I saw it just as the machine did. I kicked it because I though it was one of those liners for the little milk jugs. Found a big 3/4 groove ax on the top of the ground, a flint ridge Ohio blank (in Maryland) and a paleo chopper once upon a time ago.

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN0832.JPG
Dug 3 inches down when i got this hit. But it was right on the surface next to where i was digging just at the base of some grass roots. 1986 worlds fair coin

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After having an argument with the little voice in my head telling me to check out a piece of blue trash 30 ft. Away, I lost and went to check it out swinging my detector as I went. Two feet from the plastic trash the detector sounds off loud. I look down and there is a gold ring! It is marked 925, gold color, with 6 tiny diamonds. I have to do acid gold test on It to see if it is indeed gold. Lesson learned! When the little voice speaks, obey!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
925 is silver.
I have two..one is a bronze ship spike I found while metal detecting a shipwreck beach... I saw just a bit of green in with the shells and rocks low on the beach while the water was going out.
The other was just a shoreline walk after a hard rain.

ForumRunner_20131027_195208.png

ForumRunner_20131027_195807.png

IMG_20130511_183522-enhanced_1.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the California gold fields, I was hiking back out of this mountain strewn river canyon and at the top of the trail I noticed an "electric box slug" picked it up and it was a V nickel. I can just picture some old miner with his clasp purse out and dropping that coin............................63bkpkr

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1982 I was walking my dog along a creek in northern CA after a very heavy rain storm (First time I heard the word El Nino). There in plain view,on the bedrock, in a spot where the storm had stripped off about two feet of overburden the previous night, was a nugget, approx. 1 pennyweight. I rubbed my eyes and picked it up, thought I was dreaming and would wake up any moment. Nope, it was real !

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1884 indian head penny last night. Right on top of a dirt clod.

Last edited:

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
Here's another surface find. I was detecting a playground. And this was on top. 925 :-)
GOD BLESS!!!

Attachments

• image-928043691.jpg
    image-928043691.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 98

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..Here is my best...My Buddy and I spent 2 day digging for artifacts, and I went to get some water from the cabin....Found this on my walk back

The really cool thing was, this was the fist time i ever went arrowhead hunting too....my find was 100% luck

Attachments

• Bird Point.JPG
    Bird Point.JPG
    888.3 KB · Views: 92

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
While MD'ing on the beach, this ring was just laying on the surface of the sand three feet ahead of me. I could not believe my eyes, so before I picked it up, I took this picture with my phone.

Surface Find.jpg

Last edited:

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While cutting a plug to retrieve a find ( it turned out to be a quarter), there was a very nice silver necklace with a huge cross on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread