Where to detect on ball fields?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a question I am posing just to kind of get an Idea on where on ball fields (soccer and baseball) that those of you that find rings and such get most of your finds. I hunt the edges and am not having a lot of luck, I find pocket spills of coins but no jewelry. Any input is appreciated I also hunt around basketball courts same thing coins and no jewelry. ??? Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try near the bleachers, also under them. You would be surprised what's there. I personally found a dolphin bracelet about a foot and a half away from a bleacher and a toy car under another one, along with some clad and a teenage mutant ninja turtle action figure on the surface.:headbang: Good luck and hope the tip helps.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many places frown on you detecting on the ball field especially in the diamond area. for the most part I haven't found much at soccer fields but have had success around the bleachers and along the fence at ball fields. If there is parking try close to the parking areas and especially if parking is allowed on the grass. I find a lot in areas where parking on the grass is allowed. I have done gravel lots and did ok but if the coin or whatever is embedded down a cpl of inches it is hard to extract.
I plucked $5.27 on Monday around a ball field all in the grass and some in front of the bleachers. It was a small town field also. In front of concession stands usually produce as well. I have on parking area at a high school football stadium that has produced over $48 in the past year. My average pick is $6+ and have picked as high as $13+ It regenerates after every home football game.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the spots where they set their bags and valuables down so they don't loose them at practice and at the game. Seems they dump a lot out when they root through them.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you ever see the fields "in action" like when there is a tournament or little league or whatever, where the people, parents, etc. hang out is where the stuff is. Sidelines, under trees, the grass areas closest to the parking lot, around goals, where the players put their gear, etc. I hunt pretty much all areas if not expressly forbidden, but I made sure I could dig without leaving a trace before hunting a park for the first time. Found a lot, so I kept doing it. For busy fields I go very early in the morning to avoid regular users, usually.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much what I am doing, I thank you all for your input, I must just be in a bad area, although I did find a bracelet by some bleachers today (costume) I just need to keep plugging along and it will come sooner or later.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I rarely search ball fields or parks…..When I do I prefer slow pitch softball fields….Many of the players come straight from work and change in the dugouts…You know what happens when you take your pants off in a hurry…Art

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Persistence

Make sure your target is gold. You are hunting gold. You are interested in the low signals, foil up to zinc pennies. Dig those.

Don't be lazy. Don't rationalize. Short cuts will stop you from finding gold. Hunt where you observe ordinary people doing things that are not routine for them to do. Girls doing cartwheels. Fields where adults play, especially pick up games - soccer, football or baseball. Hunt in the grass around basketball courts -preferably where adults play - and around volleyball courts. sand like tot lots and volleyball will eventually give up gold charms and earrings. Fields where concerts have been held for years, and especially where people get drunk, or stoned, and dance or fight are worth hitting.

Someone says soccer fields not so much. Another guy likes soccer fields. I say give a particular type of venue at least 40 hours before developing an opinion that may limit you.

Last edited:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've posted this image a few times, but these are actual finds and locations in a big soccer complex.

findsbylocation.jpg

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beep goes on thank you from your pic I see that most finds where on the edges that is pretty much what I am doing, so I will find, if I just keep on with what I am doing now. I noticed you have different color dots was that to differentiate the value or the type of finds they were? Or was it three different hunts.:hello:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The beep goes on thank you from your pic I see that most finds where on the edges that is pretty much what I am doing, so I will find, if I just keep on with what I am doing now. I noticed you have different color dots was that to differentiate the value or the type of finds they were? Or was it three different hunts.:hello:

Thanks BOTB! White is silver, yellow is gold and red are finds that weren't precious metal but cool nonetheless (like half dollars, etc). I hunted these fields dozens of times to find all that stuff. I used a Bigfoot on my DFX at first, then kept hunting it. I'm weird...I just like searching for stuff...there were times I wouldn't find a thing. Then, all of a sudden, I'd find three rings in one hunt that I must have missed somehow. You never know.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In case you're wondering, I did hunt the soccer fields fairly aggressively, not just the sides...just not much there. It could be very different on fields that attract non-institutionalized players, as alluded to above by aarthrj3811.

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer
I have my best luck outside the fence down 1st and 3rd base line especially if there are shade trees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions