kwikfile

Sep 2, 2013
North Orange County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hounter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am stuck with 80's out here in Southern California

I am out hunting Beaches, Parks empty lots etc... Can't get beyond a penny in the 1940's. Everything else is pretty much in the 1980's a few 1970's. I want to leave the Carter and Reagan era and get into Teddy Roosevelt or Woodrow Wilson time at least.. I would be "California Dreaming'" to get 1880's stuff. Need help guys, I want to find some old stuff here in So California.

Upvote 0

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's because Tom_in_CA dug it all up back in the 80's...the 1880's stuff that is :headbang:

Seriously though, I have never been out to Cali so I have no idea how hard its been hit over the years, but since I don't think the ground ever freezes I would guess it's been pounded hard out there, private old home sites are probably your best shot.

Mike

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yup, that's the way it is.
Your best chance for finding something of value is finding jewelry dropped on the beach or along the access paths to the beach.
And remember, in the days of Woodrow Wilson, the area of Westwood (UCLA) was used for sheep grazing; and Newport Beach was basically a desert once you got away from the coast. When I first came to Calif. in '53, I was a Boy Scout coming to the Jamboree in Newport Beach. 50,000 of us camped in the desert. Today, that desert, is Fashion Center (regional mall) between Jamboree and Manchester streets.
Don....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I am out hunting Beaches, Parks empty lots etc... Can't get beyond a penny in the 1940's. Everything else is pretty much in the 1980's a few 1970's. I want to leave the Carter and Reagan era and get into Teddy Roosevelt or Woodrow Wilson time at least.. I would be "California Dreaming'" to get 1880's stuff. Need help guys, I want to find some old stuff here in So California.

Ha, I'm the tom-in-ca that bc1969 alludes to :) I'm actually in central coast CA, not southern CA. But there's plenty of guys down there finding oldies. I was down in the deserts earlier this year, and got an 1849 D $5 gold, a bust half, etc.... So stuff is down there, but you gotta know how to do it, what machine, what to listen for, etc.... Even silver in the parks down there (yes, earlier than 1940) is happening all-time-time.

Can't go into great detail here, but if you join in on the kinzli forum, that is specific to just CA hunting. There's folks from So. CA who chime in there, and routinely find oldies down there. To get to the main page, you have to sign up though. It's easy: just pick a name and a password.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to do some research to find old areas. Hunting your average SoCal beach is not the place to find old coins unless you hit it right after a big storm. I'd upgrade that detector if you want to find the deep coins.

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Greetings fellow OC hunter!

I am primarily a beach hunter but the above posters are right, there is plenty of history in OC. Problem is most has been built over or hunted to death. There are several popular old parks where you may get lucky. Also, look for tearouts. I know in Irvine they were tearing out that area by "old Irvine" awhile back I am sure there were goodies to be found. I don't recommend creeping around construction sites but I think you get the idea. Here in OC they are always building some new housing development or strip mall :laughing7:

Also, you can find old coins at the beach, just go after a good storm, most will be burnt black but you can get lucky.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Did you find my virginity on the beach in the 42nd St & Seashore Drive area in Newport Beach? Lost it in 1981. :laughing7:

OP
OP
kwikfile

kwikfile

Sep 2, 2013
North Orange County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hounter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to back to the beaches today, skunked again. Will hit the parks mañana - never give up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread